No Operating System Found

k...i tried new power cables...i turned it on w/o the boot disk and i get the same error, im going to see the bios setup now

If FDISK says that there are no fixed disks present that there isn't any fixed disks present. Don't bother checking into ram drives and making new directories.

Most likely the drive is not seen by the BIOS.

What I want to know is if the drive is making any noise, and if so, what noise is it making? A spinning noise or a clunking noise?

yea, the drive is making like a hard noise when it first boots up the comptuer, not when i restart, when i first boot up the computer...but, im going to go to lunch right now, i gotta get out of here...its nto detected by the bios either, im going to try new cables when i get back, and if not, its def the HD that has the problem, plz keep posting your ideas and things u think i should do to check...as ill checkt hem when i get back...thanx a lot guys, you realy helped me out =) really appreciate it...ill be on later..bye

If it powers up, then clunks and then powers back down then you have trouble.

If it powers up to a steady low whine then that is a better sign.

A suggestion, as in half a hour I'll be out from work. Try to use the disk into another pc to see if it is recognized. If not, throw the disk out of the window... :p

yea, if it's a low whine then it's more likely not the disk, but something else......try different ide cables, try putting the ide cable in the secondary ide position on the motherboard and unplugging the cd-rom (the cd-rom is recognized by the motherboard right?)

if none of those fixes it lemme know.

yes the cd rom is detected, j/not the HD...im at home right now, im headed back to work in like 10 minutes...im gonna try that out when i get there....later

Also, if you really need to get any info off of that drive before it totally fails, try this...

1. Wrap drive in newspaper (4-6 sheets)

2. Place HD in freezer for a couple of hours

3. Take HD out of freezer (LEAVE THE NEWSPAPER ON!!!!), quickly hook it up as a slave drive on a system that is operational (FAT32- 95c,98,ME,2K,XP - NTFS- 2K or XP. You can also D/L a prog which will let you see an NTFS Volume under 9x- it's more toward the bottom of the page) & copy the hell out of those needed files!! You will only have a short time as the drive will start to thaw & the condensation will eventually short it and it will stop working TOTALLY and FORTEVER (won't harm any other part of your system though). Peace!

3. Take HD out of freezer (LEAVE THE NEWSPAPER ON!!!!), quickly hook it up as a slave drive on a system that is operational (FAT32- 95c,98,ME,2K,XP - NTFS- 2K or XP. You can also D/L a prog which will let you see an NTFS Volume under 9x- it's more toward the bottom of the page) & copy the hell out of those needed files!! You will only have a short time as the drive will start to thaw & the condensation will eventually short it and it will stop working TOTALLY and FORTEVER (won't harm any other part of your system though). Peace!

WTF?!? :blink:

well i wouldnt try the freezer aproach but maybe you could plug it into an other computer as slave and see if it shows up in bios.

what brand/model is the computer?

maybe unplug the cdrom drive and plug in the hard drive in alone with a new ide cable.

oh yeah the red stripe faces the molex connector on the hd. usually hds have lights on the bottom, see if it flickers at any time during boot.

how big is the hd in megabytes? and is it lba?

WTF?!? :blink:

Um... I'd like to double up on that WTF? comment.

yea, but....i cant even get to fdisk...if i type fdisk c: i get something about incorrect parameters and it doesnt do anything...if i do sys c: not hing happens, incorrect parameters or something very similar...

When did he say anything about typing fdisk c:

Be careful not to type format c:

Read all instruction CAREFULLY!!!

Only do as instructed!!!!

Don't add or subtract from the instructions!!!

Is there aything else????

ok..i did that, and what it does is, it clears the screen and comes up in a new one....and the new one is exactly like what i am about to type...but in Dos format....

No Fixed Disks Present

C:\>_

The drive is HOSED!!!! Replace it!!!

nope..........j/forget it lol....the HD is toast, its getting replaced completely lol....thnx for all the help guys