Got WP7 - Neowin wants to hear from you!

Just find someone in the US who has an .edu email :rofl: (and isn't using it with dreamspark). I mean the verification usually is just you clicking a link in an email (some schools have additional verifications but most don't).

Are you using one of the "supported" SD cards (There's a list on XDA)? And have you hard reset your device after installing the card?

Mobile IE is extremely fast but MS really needs to get HTML5 supported and enable dithering.

Mine is listed as Currently Unstable/ Unsure. At the time of buying the SD card, it was listed as working.In fact, now there aren't any 32 GB SD cards listed as working from here.

Here are the questions we want answered:

1) What device did you get?

Samsung Focus

2) How long have you had it for?

1 week

3) What are your top 3 features/'hits'?

-It's fast

-Easy way to find apps and games thanks to the marketplace

-Zune player

4) What are your top 3 'misses'?

-Even though I have learn how to deal with the lack of multitasking, it would be great a better implementation of this feature

-Flash plug-in, there's one called YouTube but it doesn't work with all web pages

-No third party GPS software, like Garmin

5) Anything else you want to say?

After using Windows Mobile for YEARS, this feels like a breeze of fresh air in every way

6) What app is your favo(u)rite so far?

App: Zune player. Game: Max and the magic marker

It also helps a bit that the Optimus 7 I have coming in already comes with 16GB instead of 8GB, cuts down the need to actually mess with microSD changes.

Here are the questions we want answered:

Samsung Focus

Since Nov. 23

1. When you hold the Windows button down, you get the voice activated search thingy. Love that feature.

2. Zune player (had a Zune, then the Zune HD so I'm happy to see it on here)

3. Netflix - I know the iPhone has it too, but it's great to see it on WP7. I use it a TON.

1. CUSTOM RINGTONES! Come on Microsoft, really? My Razr from 7 years ago had that option. That is the biggest miss in my opinion.

2. Not opening up for the development of a LED Flashlight application, something I used a lot on my iPhone 4.

3. As it stands right now, the lack of copy & paste is a minor flaw, but not cool nonetheless. You don't realize how much you use it until you don't have it.

I came from an iPhone 4 and I can't really say I miss it at all. Is it as "open" as Android? No, and I don't really care all that much. It works fantastically well, and I'm pleased to get it. What I would really like to see though is an ESPN3 app, since the XBOX 360 has it, I would love to see it on WP7 in the future. ALSO, I would LOVE to see the HTC apps be put on the marketplace for sale, and I would buy them up in a heart beat. But they need to update the Bing search app to support all the different types of searches like on the iPhone (pictures, etc).

While I use the Email (Outlook) function a lot, and I think it is phenominal, I would say that Netflix is my favorite app, only because it allows me to kill time when I'm bored.

1 - Samsung Omnia 7

2 - Since UK Launch Day 1 - 21 October

3 - The UI design and speed is brilliant - The Zune Software experience - As a development platform its impressive

4 - Many apps are still iOS only or iOS and Android - Custom Ringtones are not there yet - APIs are still a bit restrictive

5 - As a version 1 OS, it beats both Android and iOS, and fixes and features will come through the year

6 - As I like taking photos and toying with them, my favourite app is Pictures Lab, and for games its Flowerz

1) HTC HD7

2) 1-2 Months

3) facebook Integration, Zune Music Player, The general UI - helps me get around it very fast.

4) Screen capture, battery life can suck, No selecting a custom SSID in wifi

5) Love it :p

6) Facebook... yeah, im cool.

Well, I finally got my LG Optimus 7 and it's working fine except for the fact it keeps giving me a SIM error. Though I've taken it out and put it back in like 10 times so far nothing.

Where did you get the Optimus 7, and are you 100% sure it's not carrier locked?

I'm sure it's not locked, I got it from a tech retailer, think best buy but in greece, and not from a carrier. I also know it's not locked because my mom got greedy and poping in her own SIM card and it worked fine for her, but doesn't for me. The only difference I can think of is that my SIM is a pay-as-you go card while my moms is on a normal carrier plan. I'll have to test it out more but I don't have any other SIM cards to mess with so it'll have to wait for tomorrow. I've got another SIM that's also on a plan and a 2nd pay-as-you go SIM that I can try to see if I get the same outcome.

That's very strange. The phone if it's carrier-free should be completely oblivious to what network SIM is placed in it, or what type. Your carrier may have a per-device block on the SIM, in which case you'd have to contact your carrier. In fact, contacting your carrier is probably the best approach, as it's unlikely that it's a phone issue.

That's very strange. The phone if it's carrier-free should be completely oblivious to what network SIM is placed in it, or what type. Your carrier may have a per-device block on the SIM, in which case you'd have to contact your carrier. In fact, contacting your carrier is probably the best approach, as it's unlikely that it's a phone issue.

I'm sure it's not a phone issue since my moms worked fine, it asked for her PIN and everything. I'm going to the carrier tomorrow anyways so I can get on a play with some data since this pay-as-you go doesn't cover 3G and all that, it's just a cheap card to make calls and sms (I don't think it even lets me do MMS?) I'll run another test with the other SIM cards I have just to double check though.

1) HTC HD7

2) 1-2 Months

3) facebook Integration, Zune Music Player, The general UI - helps me get around it very fast.

4) Screen capture, battery life can suck, No selecting a custom SSID in wifi

5) Love it :p

6) Facebook... yeah, im cool.

Love your sig Xerax.. Custom made?

1) What device did you get? HTC HD7

2) How long have you had it for? 2 Months roughly

3) What are your top 3 features/'hits'? Xbox Live, Zune, Office

4) What are your top 3 'misses'? FB integration into Contacts (deeper integration is coming though, yay), Not to have to reboot every couple of days, no Angry Birds!

5) Anything else you want to say? Interface is gorgeous and transitioning between apps is smooth as anything I've seen

6) What app is your favo(u)rite so far? MCTS apps, Bejeweled, eBay, Facebook and IMDB

1) What device did you get? HTC HD7

2) How long have you had it for? 2 Months roughly

3) What are your top 3 features/'hits'? Xbox Live, Zune, Office

4) What are your top 3 'misses'? FB integration into Contacts (deeper integration is coming though, yay), Not to have to reboot every couple of days, no Angry Birds!

5) Anything else you want to say? Interface is gorgeous and transitioning between apps is smooth as anything I've seen

6) What app is your favo(u)rite so far? MCTS apps, Bejeweled, eBay, Facebook and IMDB

I haven't rebooted my Optimus 7 since the first day I got it, also haven't had the marketplace crash, so... I find it odd that you'd be rebooting that often.

1) What device did you get? LG Optimus 7

2) How long have you had it for? One month

3) What are your top 3 features/'hits'? XBox Live, People (contact integration), DLNA streaming

4) What are your top 3 'misses'? No custom ringtones, limited theme colours, wifi connection issues

5) Anything else you want to say? I was the first guy in an office full of iPhones and Android phones with a WP7 phone. Within a week, there were two more. :cool:

6) What app is your favo(u)rite so far? Shopping Cart :blush:

Hello there. Heres my opinion:

Samsung Focus

Since December 15th. 2010 You do the math.

a) The excellent way the address book integrates with facebook/windows live/gmail contacts. So much better that android.

b) Superb performance of interface/gui. Came from android, and theres just no way of making it perform flawless/smooth as WP7.

c) The included "Locate my Phone" feature is great. You can ring, locate in maps, lock or even flash a message in the screen if you lose it. Remote wipe is also a great feature. All is included out of the box. Android also has it, to be fair. But its 3rd party, and is not included by default. BTW, theyre both free.

a) I really miss Swype. Hope they adapt it asap for WP7.

b) I hate how every search in the apps marketplace returns music, videos, apps, etc. But heard they will fix it soon.

c) Would love to not have to purchase Live games separatelly on 360/WP7. Its the same friggin account, both Xbox Live. If I purchase a game on either platform, and it exists in the other platform, dont make me have to purchase it again. Thats kind of retarded.

I love how it stands out in the phone crowd, smoothness of interface and bright colors. I even like the way people tend to think of the gui as unorthodox (compared to Android and Iphone).

I have to say Office, Facebook or Photogram. Difficult to decide on just one.

Im just loving the experience of it all.

Mr.Ed

Just to address your 'misses', Mr. Ed:

• Swype will not come to WP7. As in, never ever. Don't hold your breath on it, instead feel better in the fact that WP7' software keyboard is generally accepted to be one of, if not the best out there.
  • Segregated Music/App search is coming soon. I do believe it's even part of the No Donuts update that is imminent.
  • I see where you're coming from with purchasing twice for WP7/360, but that's just not the way the world works. If you bought a DVD of a film, you don't get free rights to it on Blu-Ray (and vice versa), and there are many other examples and analogies. The games may be similar, sometimes identical, but if they've been developed seperately, they have seperate costs. I agree it would be great, but it's a teeny bit idealistic :)

Just to address your 'misses', Mr. Ed:

• Swype will not come to WP7. As in, never ever. Don't hold your breath on it, instead feel better in the fact that WP7' software keyboard is generally accepted to be one of, if not the best out there.
  • Segregated Music/App search is coming soon. I do believe it's even part of the No Donuts update that is imminent.
  • I see where you're coming from with purchasing twice for WP7/360, but that's just not the way the world works. If you bought a DVD of a film, you don't get free rights to it on Blu-Ray (and vice versa), and there are many other examples and analogies. The games may be similar, sometimes identical, but if they've been developed seperately, they have seperate costs. I agree it would be great, but it's a teeny bit idealistic :)

While i see the analogy about the DVD and Blu-Ray, i think that Xbox Live for WP7 and 360 are the SAME platform. One is not better than the other. And just so you know, some studios are releasing Blu-Rays with the corresponding DVD and soft copy, for little less that the original Blu-Ray price. So I think that would be the right way to go. And yes, ive been regarded as an idealistic person. :laugh:

Regarding Swype, why would it not be released on WP7? That would seem kind of backwards. Is there a press release or something where the confirm no other platforms? Or is this a Microsoft thing?

And these are just misses. No real dealbreakers for me.

Thanks for the info.

Mr.Ed

On some sites (like Neowin mobile) while using IE, text entry is really slow :/

Anyone else noticing something similar?

Yeah, I've noticed that too. It's painfully slow and skips letters/words if you get too far ahead. I hope they fix that in the upcoming patch (fingers crossed.)

Cheers :D

Yeah, I've noticed that too. It's painfully slow and skips letters/words if you get too far ahead. I hope they fix that in the upcoming patch (fingers crossed.)

Cheers :D

Ah alrite, thought it was just my phone :rofl:

According to WMPowerUser a "Windows Phone 7 Browser Update Is Imminent Soon"...so here's to hoping!

1) What device did you get? Samsung Focus

2) How long have you had it for? Since release here in Toronto, Ontario Canada.. (Later November)

3) What are your top 3 features/'hits'? Speed, interface and Zune

4) What are your top 3 'misses'? Zune Pass Missing (big disappointment), no FLAC support (I do understand how they want to push their own .wma format), encryption so that it will work with my exchange account at work.

5) Anything else you want to say? Looking forward to WP7's bright future!

6) What app is your favourite so far? Game: ilomilo App: Amazon Kindle

I am very pleased overall! This is coming from an ex iPhone / Android user.

hi

HTC Mozart

1 Day

UI

Office

Zune

small buttons in UI, and Keyboard makes app specific ui uncomfortable and backspace shouldn't be above the return

Text in SMS is small

most things XDA missing features list

not sure whats the point of dedicated power button - located at the top

micro usb should have been at the bottom for easy charging and stuff rather than on the side.

Opera Link

--- waiting for Touchxperence to be released today.

Korea?s SK Telecom confirms Windows Phone 7 models for second half 2011. Looks like we're in for a expansion of sorts in the 2nd half of the year which looks like it'll go down after the rumored mango update. I'm betting for one of these bigger updates to hit in June or July in order for native asian language support to get in.

My link