HTPC Build Feedback

Shannon

I don't know if this belongs here or in the hardware discussion forum, so please move it if so. Anyway I've decided to build a small HTPC purely for video playback (zero gaming). I also want to use the HTPC as a wireless file server. That is, I want to store all the videos and a bunch of other files on the HTPC, and still be able to access them over the wifi on my desktop. So basically I need:

- 1080p playback

- XBMC

- Wireless N

- Ultra-low power (will be left on 24/7)

- HDMI output

- Quiet (it will be in my room after all)

I've picked the following parts, and I was just after some feedback/suggestions:

- Zotac IONITX-F-E

- Antec ISK300-65 -Mini-ITX case

- G.Skill DDR2800 4GB(2x2GB)

- Samsung 2TB F3/4EG HDD

Now I know the case I've picked only has space for 2.5" HDDs, and the Samsung drive is 3.5". However, I won't be needing a Bluray or DVD drive at all. I have my PS3 for disc playback if the need arises, and I figure I should be able to load the OS on with a USB key. I intend to use a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter to mount the harddrive where the optical drive would normally go. My main question is about the Zotac IONITX. Does it have the juice to pull off 1080p mkv, and does XBMC allow hardware acceleration for the ION? Also, will the 65W PSU provided be enough?

macel

As long as you go with a linux based XBMC flavor (e.g. XBMC live, which you can run or install from usb key really easily), you shouldn't have problems with hardware acceleration. XBMC Live (now on Dharma Beta 4) with VDPAU has been flawless with 1080p/720p videos on my Acer Revo 3610 (also ION based).

FrankSpin

I'd even say that would do fine in Windows. XBMC supports hardware acceleration via DXVA in Windows and that will greatly help reduce CPU overhead with 1080P videos.

Shannon

Thanks for the replies guys, I ordered the Zotac. Will report back with the results in a few days.