Windows 7 Will Kill XP Ahead of Windows 8, It

Don't get me wrong, Windows XP is a real survivor, now at over 9 years on the market, and still the dominant operating system by far, with more than three times the usage share of the runner up, which is Windows 7.

And yet Windows XP is the past, Windows 7 the future. It's just a matter of time. XP has already lost over 10% market share since Windows 7 was launched, even more than Windows Vista which is down only about half of that.

With 240 million licenses already sold and the holiday season just around the corner, Microsoft might just make it to the 300 million sold copies of Windows 7 by the end of the year.

Statistics shared by the software giant reveal that Windows 7 uptake is through the rough, with the client enjoying strong adoption as far as both consumers and business customers are concerned.

The numbers of PCs sold worldwide will jump 17% in 2011, to in excess of 400 million, the vast majority of which will come with Windows 7.

In this regard, Windows 7 is bound to kill XP in the next couple of years, ahead of the delivery of the next version of Windows, and make itself into the main rival for Windows 8.

Still, there's little doubt that XP will still be around, even well after Windows 8 hits the market, supposedly in 2012. After all the operating system will enjoy extended support until 2014.

But customers still running XP well into the next decade will do so rather because they're stuck, and not because they choose to.

It will be a real pain running XP years from now. And it has already started with such examples as Windows Live Essentials 2011 and Internet Explorer 9. Trust me, Microsoft is simply setting a trend. Additional software developers will follow, and tailor their products exclusively to Windows 7.

Rich Reynolds, general manager of Windows Commercial Product Marketing at Microsoft revealed earlier this week that the company is extremely optimistic about the future of Windows 7 in 2011.

And the growth trend persists, with Windows 7 at approximately 40% market share at the end of next year, it will take just the preservation of momentum for XP to be dethroned. And it will be all downhill for the aging operating system from then.

"It's been quite a year for Windows 7! Customers of all sizes are moving very quickly to adopt Windows 7.

"We welcome customer feedback so that we can continue to refine the tools and share best practices widely to assist all customers in making the right decisions as they move.

"All signs are pointing to the fact that the time is right for customers to deploy Windows 7 and we are very optimistic about Windows 7 in 2011," Reynolds added.

source

Unless my PC (2008 vintage) breaks down irreparably before April 2014, I will continue to use it with XP pro SP3, IE 8 and WMP 11, since it is very stable and does all I want at an acceptable speeed. Then I'll consider buying a new PC with whatever version of Windows is then current (Win 9?). I suspect I'm not alone in doing so.

Unless my PC (2008 vintage) breaks down irreparably before April 2014, I will continue to use it with XP pro SP3, IE 8 and WMP 11, since it is very stable and does all I want at an acceptable speeed. Then I'll consider buying a new PC with whatever version of Windows is then current (Win 9?). I suspect I'm not alone in doing so.

wow x.x

My parents still use a Dell Deminsion 8400 (I think) with Windows XP and it does everything they need just fine. They really don't want to have to buy a new computer just to use Win 7 :D

XP is just a security blanket for people afraid of change.

Choosing to use a modern, capable OS over a nine year old relic of the past isn't "XP hate," its "common sense."

sorry that not everyone is a bunch of computer nerds and can still do everything they want and more with their 3-4 year old hardware that runs windows xp... not everyone needs to throw down $100 - 1500 for an upgrade or knows how to pirate their own copy of windows 7.

that's trolling treemonster, not anything i said before. and ugly is just an opinion. I don't think windows 7 looks that hot...

XP is just a security blanket for people afraid of change.

Choosing to use a modern, capable OS over a nine year old relic of the past isn't "XP hate," its "common sense."

Well said.

sorry that not everyone is a bunch of computer nerds and can still do everything they want and more with their 3-4 year old hardware that runs windows xp...

that's trolling treemonster, not anything i said.

3-4 year old hardware is fine. windows xp is not.

and what you said is just as much trolling as anything else in this thread. difference of opinion is not trolling in any shape form or function. calling random people who you disagree with trolls instead of discussing the subject is far closer to trolling though.

3-4 year old hardware is fine. windows xp is not.

and what you said is just as much trolling as anything else in this thread. difference of opinion is not trolling in any shape form or function. calling random people who you disagree with trolls instead of discussing the subject is far closer to trolling though.

i called him a troll for calling people who still use XP being brain dead... wanna keep throwing more falsities into my mouth?

sorry that not everyone is a bunch of computer nerds and can still do everything they want and more with their 3-4 year old hardware that runs windows xp...

that's trolling treemonster, not anything i said before. and ugly is just an opinion. I don't think windows 7 looks that hot...

Computer nerds????!!!

Windows 7 RTM has been out since more then a year ! you make it sound like it is in beta/preview or something !!!!

Computer nerds????!!!

in terms of having the latest and greatest OS, why do grandparents or parents need windows 7 when all they do is go online. For example my dad, all he does is look up sports scores and watching streaming video what benefit does windows 7 have for him? He's also running my old amd 64 2800+ with 2 gigs of DDR (not 2) ram.

My XP systems seem to work just fine. Strange.

Mine too. And all the ones at work that we use.

And to whoever said unusable (well they put unsuable, but I knew what was meant), if it's so unusable, how come so many people are still using it?

I have said before and i'll probably have to say it again, but i'll update when my PC dies and I need a new one. If I can't afford a new one at that time, i'll use whatever hardware I can get and probably use Linux.

But in reference to the original post, yes it most probably will (virtually) kill off XP for most people. It is inevitable, seeing as XP isn't being sold on new PC's meaning that no new XP PC's are adding to the numbers, but new ones are always been added to the Win7 figures.

What you don't know is that Microsoft has a kill switch on XP. In a few years they'll be switching it causing all computers with XP install to explode, killing you and your family. For your family's sake, upgrade to Win7. :(

Well the reason why there should be a switch to 7 from xp is not because its 9 years old, it is because Microsoft will stop supporting that operating system meaning that any vulnerabilities or viruses exploiting those systems in the future may potentially affect the users. If you, your grand parents, or anyone using that system buy anything online you could be at a higher risk of having your information stolen, cause your computer to stop working, or corrupt important data stored on the computer. Of course you can always rely on third party software to keep your computer safe, however most average computer users are not the most diligent at keeping up with buying the software, updating the software, scanning, and other maintenance duties required to keep the computer healthy. Windows 7 actually simplies a lot of these activities for users and if you have security essentials its very low maintenance, potentially saving you time and money.

i called him a troll for calling people who still use XP being brain dead... wanna keep throwing more falsities into my mouth?

you didi it again. he didn't say xp users were brain dead. so yet again you've done hte same thing you accuse others of doing.

hope you don't bank online with that system. increasingly so as more secure software no longer supports xp. that's why xp is not fine.

What you don't know is that Microsoft has a kill switch on XP. In a few years they'll be switching it causing all computers with XP install to explode, killing you and your family. For your family's sake, upgrade to Win7. :(

omg i loled out loud

yea , DieHard 4 style laugh.gif