Windows 7 Will Kill XP Ahead of Windows 8, It

what do you look for in an OS?

1. Its faster than XP

2. Its more Secure than XP

3. Its has more Eye candy if you like those. If you dont like it disable Aero.

4. Usablity- This is an important aspect everyone look for and with features like aero snap, peek its makes your life easier

5. Support for devices- I know xp have all device drivers but when it comes to finding them it get difficult.

Windows 7 comes bundled with most of the device drivers and its easy to find one for new devices for searching on the windows updates

it completely make use of multi core architecture which XP dont do it thus make it even faster.

I can tell you a whole lot of think but its never like trying it out yourself. There should still be a trial version available for install. try it out and if you dont like it go back to XP.

Cool, now consider the user that wants something different. My reasoning to your answers would be:

1. Its faster than XPI have to say i never noticed any improvement, benchmarking apps might show an increase but I cant say there are any apps on my PC that take less than 2 seconds to open.

2. Its more Secure than XP.XP is still updated with security patches, Im an experienced user and I know when problems occur and the websites that are going to cause it.

3. Its has more Eye candy if you like those. If you dont like it disable Aero.I hate eye candy, as i said in my original post, 7 has too much of it. If I disable Aero Im left with this unfinished looking back up of a visual style.

4. Usablity- This is an important aspect everyone look for and with features like aero snap, peek its makes your life easierCan honestly say ive never needed to snap a window to the edge of a screen, Ive needed to have my vast number of files in more than general date order, Ive needed to get rid of tooltips and clear my toolbars of all the rubbish i don't need but Ive never needed to snap a screen.

5. Support for devices- I know XP have all device drivers but when it comes to finding them it get difficult.

Windows 7 comes bundled with most of the device drivers and its easy to find one for new devices for searching on the windows updatesThere has not been a time so far when a device Ive purchased has not installed perfectly. 7 may have improved on it but it would be like me asking you to change your perfectly good flat screen tv for a new one because it may work with new channels in the future. If your software or device meets every spec available right now why change?

why?

Security

First of all Windows XP's support is ending. As in no more fixing exploits and sewer wholes in the system. In addition the security features built into XP are not designed for todays attacks. You may argue that a third party firewall and AV software would help. But that is just delaying the inevitable.

Hardware/software

Todays's hardware and software will eventually stop working on XP, just like it did with pre XP releases. In the end the developers and designers will not see XP as a viable system to continue supporting. Features in what Vista/7 is built on have so much more potential. What is hindering this boost is XP. Once XP is gone the software will finally move on. MS only releasing IE9 for Vista/7 is not only because they want to sell more licenses. The same goes for a lot of hardware and software. As with every new release of Windows, the installer keeps improving. You get a lot fewer reboots for each update, the size of the packages keeps decreasing and the installation gets faster.

The memory handling in W7 is superior to that of XP. The same goes for multi core support. In a way you can say that you get more out of your money. Want to have a SSD? Your only option is W7 because XP actually kills SSD disks compared to W7. W7 is designed for SSD's in mind.

Experience and design

Windows 7 is more than looks. I doubt I speak for only me when I say that my productivity have increased with W7. Times are changing constantly and XP have not done so in 9 years. The GUI in Windows is improving for each release, making the usage a lot easier. You still think the classic start menu is the best? Let me tell you that you have wasted hours in a ear finding what you want in there in XP.

Aero isn't just "eye candy." It will actually improve performance.

Correct

Source?

It puts the stress of the GUI away from the CPU over to the GPU. Test it yourself.

Disable Aero and open taskmanager and the Performance tab. Move the window around and watch the CPU spike. Enable Aero and do the same. The result is a lot less CPU spike. Which means the CPU have more resources left for more important tasks.

It puts the stress of the GUI away from the CPU over to the GPU. Test it yourself.

Disable Aero and open taskmanager and the Performance tab. Move the window around and watch the CPU spike. Enable Aero and do the same. The result is a lot less CPU spike. Which means the CPU have more resources left for more important tasks.

Not easy to do when i'm running XP.

Cool, now consider the user that wants something different. My reasoning to your answers would be:

1. Its faster than XPI have to say i never noticed any improvement, benchmarking apps might show an increase but I cant say there are any apps on my PC that take less than 2 seconds to open.

2. Its more Secure than XP.XP is still updated with security patches, Im an experienced user and I know when problems occur and the websites that are going to cause it.

3. Its has more Eye candy if you like those. If you dont like it disable Aero.I hate eye candy, as i said in my original post, 7 has too much of it. If I disable Aero Im left with this unfinished looking back up of a visual style.

4. Usablity- This is an important aspect everyone look for and with features like aero snap, peek its makes your life easierCan honestly say ive never needed to snap a window to the edge of a screen, Ive needed to have my vast number of files in more than general date order, Ive needed to get rid of tooltips and clear my toolbars of all the rubbish i don't need but Ive never needed to snap a screen.

5. Support for devices- I know XP have all device drivers but when it comes to finding them it get difficult.

Windows 7 comes bundled with most of the device drivers and its easy to find one for new devices for searching on the windows updatesThere has not been a time so far when a device Ive purchased has not installed perfectly. 7 may have improved on it but it would be like me asking you to change your perfectly good flat screen tv for a new one because it may work with new channels in the future. If your software or device meets every spec available right now why change?

2. /Facepalm. what about the unfixed security issue that XP has that windows 7 don't have??? there are still vulnerabilities that has not been discovered yet.

3.windows 7 without aero- still feel 7 looks better

windows-aero-disabled-500x377.png

Windows XP

taskmanagerlge.gif

4. first 7 is not created just for you. It is really helpful for me. if you dont need it dont use the feature. something is better than nothing.

5.7 may have improved on it but it would be like me asking you to change your perfectly good flat screen tv for a new one because it may work with new channels in the future.

Yeah exactly who wouldn't like improvements. You get only 50 channels with your old TV but I get 150 channels with new one i would go with it because i could enjoy the extra 100 channels and at the same time i can watch the 50 channels you have.

1. I honestly thought you were trying to understand the goodness in 7 but you just dont want to understand it. let someone save you Amen.

I will use whatever latest OS microsoft will have and I dont hesitate to test some unknown OS as well. MY 2007 Desktop came with Vista and I am on windows 7 now. The thing I hated about vista was its Disk usage and crappy speed sometimes.

I don't really get the point of these topics. Yes, XP is ancient and obsolete, we get it. But it's still usable, and many people will continue to use it for a long time because it works for them.

Guess what? My great aunt *STILL* uses Windows 95 on a daily basis. Why? Because all she ever needs is a Web browser and Notepad. She can get all her work done in Win95 and has no reason to upgrade.

I still use workstations from time to time running MS-DOS or even Windows 3.1. They still work, so why bother upgrading them?

I don't really get the point of these topics. Yes, XP is ancient and obsolete, we get it. But it's still usable, and many people will continue to use it for a long time because it works for them.

Guess what? My great aunt *STILL* uses Windows 95 on a daily basis. Why? Because all she ever needs is a Web browser and Notepad. She can get all her work done in Win95 and has no reason to upgrade.

I still use workstations from time to time running MS-DOS or even Windows 3.1. They still work, so why bother upgrading them?

Just a thought, her Windows 95 and your Windows 3.1 might be "more secure" now since malware don't target these 16-bit OSs anymore.

holy ****, would people just give up on the XP hate already... it's old, windows 7 is better. we get it. thanks (Y)

Agreed. while i am using Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and would rather not go back to XP. i could understand for those who have XP not wanting to upgrade simply because XP 'just works' at a good speed and it's stable and the cost of going to Win7 is typically going to be around $100 which i am sure not many people just have 100 bucks to burn.

to me it's mostly the little things that make Win7 good enough to where i would not want to go back to XP as XP is just showing it's age in general. even though Vista is typically blasted it's closer to 7 than it is XP so Vista's not a bad choice but if your on XP looking to upgrade it's pretty much useless to go to Vista since it's just a weaker version of Windows 7

Security

First of all Windows XP's support is ending. As in no more fixing exploits and sewer wholes in the system. In addition the security features built into XP are not designed for todays attacks. You may argue that a third party firewall and AV software would help. But that is just delaying the inevitable.

Hardware/software

Todays's hardware and software will eventually stop working on XP, just like it did with pre XP releases. In the end the developers and designers will not see XP as a viable system to continue supporting. Features in what Vista/7 is built on have so much more potential. What is hindering this boost is XP. Once XP is gone the software will finally move on. MS only releasing IE9 for Vista/7 is not only because they want to sell more licenses. The same goes for a lot of hardware and software. As with every new release of Windows, the installer keeps improving. You get a lot fewer reboots for each update, the size of the packages keeps decreasing and the installation gets faster.

The memory handling in W7 is superior to that of XP. The same goes for multi core support. In a way you can say that you get more out of your money. Want to have a SSD? Your only option is W7 because XP actually kills SSD disks compared to W7. W7 is designed for SSD's in mind.

Experience and design

Windows 7 is more than looks. I doubt I speak for only me when I say that my productivity have increased with W7. Times are changing constantly and XP have not done so in 9 years. The GUI in Windows is improving for each release, making the usage a lot easier. You still think the classic start menu is the best? Let me tell you that you have wasted hours in a ear finding what you want in there in XP.

Correct

so you mean future hardware will not work in XP, well no **** sherlock (Y) today's hardware works just fine in xp.

and you guys are all preaching to the choir, i run windows 7 on my computers, i just don't get your guyses holy crusade against people who aren't. get over yourselves already.

Win7 isnt exactly cheap in some places. Here it's $219-250 NZ $ for Pro x64. And its even dearer for Ultimate. So, unless something plans to buy it for me, I'll keep using Vista X64. Which is good enough for me. If I need to keep XP up to date, I'll use VirtualPC and use Nlite / RyanVM. So, I can slipstream it / different versions of windows

I'm still running Windows 3.1 on my AST 486SX/25 with 16MB of RAM. I just don't see a reason to upgrade.

I'm still using a 24-line monochrome monitor, never had any need for high-resolution eye candy.

I remember AST pc's I had one with windows 95. but seriously, I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about the death of Windows XP.

Just a thought, her Windows 95 and your Windows 3.1 might be "more secure" now since malware don't target these 16-bit OSs anymore.

I might be mistaken here, But I was under the impression that Windows 95 was 32 bit?

"XP does everything" "why upgrade my grandparents" etc.

You really need to understand computer security to understand why XP is such a bad OS to run. There are two main types of exploits that malware uses to auto-install, and they are almost interchangeable (if you only block one, the malware can easily use the other method in many cases). You must shield against both types to have a semblance of a secure system. DEP defends against one, ASLR defends against the other. XP only has DEP, Windows Vista and 7 have DEP and ASLR, plus things like a sand boxed web browser, and run user programs with a standard user token by default and many other things. Because of this, Windows 7 is far more suited to be run by your grandparents, who probably value your bank accounts and don't want to deal with the hassle of making insurance claims when they get cleaned out, and also yourselves. While it's possible to run XP and not get infected, it's like playing Russian roulette, it's in no way actually safe, it's more luck than anything. That is something ALL users should upgrade for. In addition to that, there are vast numbers of people (though not all, some luddites will forever be happy without this stuff) who can benefit from real and mandatory x64 support, hardware accelerated GUI, DX11, improved support for hardware such as multicore CPUs and SSDs, start menu searching, integrated media center, and so on. Personally XP died for me when Vista was released, I happily ran Vista and never looked back, and now I'm doing the same with Windows 7.

C'mon you people still using XP. This is a techie type site full of geeks who think that if you don't have the absolute latest and greatest, you must be "brain dead" or something!!

Sure, Windows 7 rocks, especially compared to thing that was called Vista, but as some people have said, if it (XP) works for them, great!

As long as MS is still patching the OS, how can you say it's insecure? I bet most of the people on here also have software firewalls, routers and various tools used against spyware, etc., so they should be clean as a whistle!!

This one line by J_R_G,

"While it's possible to run XP and not get infected, it's like playing Russian roulette, it's in no way actually safe, it's more luck than anything," is a crock!!

How do you know your precious Windows 7 doesn't have some back door that haven't heard of yet? ANY OS is like playing Russian Roulette, if you want to look at it that way!!

XP is good to have on an old PoS backup PC, but nothing I would use primetime.

I wish all the hate would subside. Who cares who uses what? If someone chooses to forgo Windows 7 in favor of XP, let that be their problem. It doesn't affect you anyway. Hell, even Mac users catch less flak for using a Mac these days. It really is a stupid thing to fight about.

hope you don't bank online with that system. increasingly so as more secure software no longer supports xp. that's why xp is not fine.

although I'm using Win7 in all my home computers and I think Win7 is much better than XP, I'd say XP users can still have adequate security as long as they have the necessary security measures set up.

For example, I don't think banking online with XP poses much danger if they have all the patches installed, use IE8, and have good security software like Kaspersky Internet Suite 2011 updated to latest definitions and real-time protection on, then it's pretty much as safe as Win7 to bank online with XP.

There are two main types of exploits that malware uses to auto-install, and they are almost interchangeable (if you only block one, the malware can easily use the other method in many cases). You must shield against both types to have a semblance of a secure system. DEP defends against one, ASLR defends against the other.

They make exploits more difficult, but both can be defeated. Becoming complacent because you believe that 7 will keep you safe is dangerous.

XP only has DEP, Windows Vista and 7 have DEP and ASLR, plus things like a sand boxed web browser

Protected mode IE is easy to circumvent.

and run user programs with a standard user token by default and many other things.

Running XP as a standard user is a much more secure setup than using UAC (which sacrifices security in the name of user friendliness.) That is of course ignoring the fact that administrator rights don't really matter, since malware can do everything it wants without them.

Because of this, Windows 7 is far more suited to be run by your grandparents, who probably value your bank accounts and don't want to deal with the hassle of making insurance claims when they get cleaned out, and also yourselves.

What you're missing though, is that it's actually not exploits that are the greatest threat. Most of the things people get infected with actually rely on social engineering, not exploits. They just trick the user. Switching to Windows 7 doesn't reduce the risk much, especially not as more and more threats target it. Windows 7 machines are infected all the time, even those belonging to seemingly technical minded people on Neowin.

That is something ALL users should upgrade for.

What you don't understand is that Windows and computers cost money. A lot of money. It's not necessarily that people wouldn't like a Windows 7 machine, it's that the marginally improved security is not a good enough reason for them to invest and have to learn something new (all the shiny new features you like are actually scary to other people.)

2. /Facepalm. what about the unfixed security issue that XP has that windows 7 don't have??? there are still vulnerabilities that has not been discovered yet.

Love the Facepalm bit, sigh. There are vulnerabilities that have not been discovered in XP, Vista and 7 - As long as they are patched when they are discovered then its fine.

3.windows 7 without aero- still feel 7 looks better

windows-aero-disabled-500x377.png

Windows XP

taskmanagerlge.gif

Those are totally different resolutions

4. first 7 is not created just for you. It is really helpful for me. if you don't need it don't use the feature. something is better than nothing.

Buy Win 7 - No improvements for you over your current OS but it wasn't made for you?

5.7 may have improved on it but it would be like me asking you to change your perfectly good flat screen TV for a new one because it may work with new channels in the future.

Yeah exactly who wouldn't like improvements. You get only 50 channels with your old TV but I get 150 channels with new one i would go with it because i could enjoy the extra 100 channels and at the same time i can watch the 50 channels you have.

Read my answer again, Win 7 hasn't got anything for me there, in effect it has the same channels that I love and then a few which are not worth the investment.

1. I honestly thought you were trying to understand the goodness in 7 but you just don't want to understand it. let someone save you Amen.

Im trying to understand what Im missing, Ive used the RC and the enterprise version but there was nothing that made me want to stick with it. there was nothing wrong with it but nothing that would make me go out and buy it when I already have a OS in place thats doing everything I need. Get what I mean?