Premiere, Final Cut? Other?

Hey guys, in my 3rd year of college as a Mass Media major. We are getting into more editing and hands on classes; this first class the teacher stresses Adobe Premiere. "I you know Premiere you can do AVID, final cut etc". Might have something to do with the fact that in this specific lab we're on Windows Machines with the CS5 suite installed. But as a student going into the field in the near future (hopefully) I am curious about differences in the software.

Adobe Premiere?

AVID?

Final Cut / Studio

many more I'm sure I haven't heard of. What is most prominent in the field? What do you find easiest / most feature-rich?

I like Premiere, but I have to agree, Avid is better, Final Cut sucks IMHO. What I find is Avid has a better interface. It's much quicker to get work done with. I have also never encountered annoying bugs with it that halt your production. I'm more of a sound guy and can say this is why I choose Pro-Tools and Nuendo over cheaper solutions. The cheaper solutions can do the job just fine, but it's worth it if you value your time (and compatibility with companies) to use the industry standards. They are standards (usually) for a reason.

• 1 month later...

Avid is now the industry leader for editing. There's many reasons for this but basically they started in the 1980s as the first Non-Linear software based editor. The feature set on Avid is great and the interface is simple to use. There's more of a technical reasoning behind it and I'll try to post back later with more information.

• 1 month later...

Speaking as a former Premirre/Premiere Pro beta tester I have to agree; if you want to do studio work AVID is the tool to learn with FCP running second. You might also want to add Autodesk's Maya 3D Animation to your resume & toolkit.

This isn't to say you shouldn't learn them all. When James Cameron did Avatar he used different tools at different stages of the process. His toolbox included (primarily) AVID, Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro (rough composites & cutlists via its AVID AAF import capability), Lightroom and Acrobat Connect as a collaboration tool.

I can't say anything about the others you listed but I use Premiere Pro CS5, not the best but for what I use it for (uni coursework mainly) it's not bad and 64 bit only, along with the Autodesk Software Suite.

Speaking as a former Premirre/Premiere Pro beta tester I have to agree; if you want to do studio work AVID is the tool to learn with FCP running second. You might also want to add Autodesk's Maya 3D Animation to your resume & toolkit.

This isn't to say you shouldn't learn them all. When James Cameron did Avatar he used different tools at different stages of the process. His toolbox included (primarily) AVID, Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro (rough composites & cutlists via its AVID AAF import capability), Lightroom and Acrobat Connect as a collaboration tool.

Agreed, but isn't it better to learn how to use as many of them as possible?

Within the limits of your individual neural net, perhaps ;)

Personally, I find Premiere Pro tedious to use due to its UI inconsistancies & "isms". Complain as the betas did when PPro 1.0 was in testing, it was like talking to a wall :p

Given a choice I'd rather use AVID or FCP.

• 2 months later...

WOW so many people swearing by Avid! I am in India and here FCP is the choice for movie and TV editing, Avid still is little used. Premiere has its own share of problems and im sure FCP X will give the edge that apple needs over Avid.

• 2 months later...

You were wrong about Final Cut X - it was an unmitigated disaster for Apple. Many purchasers are getting stealth refunds etc. Workflow issues, dropped/botched functions etc. They lost a lot of credibility with that miscue.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Back when Adobe Premiere was the only editing software I used, I had love it. I was familiar with the layout from photoshop, and using it with After Effects worked out great. Lately though, even Sony Vegas beats Premiere by leaps and bounds. Years later, now that I have had time to play with all of the major editing suites, the popular vote seems to be the correct one. If you have the resources its:

1)Avid

2)Final Cut Pro (Although I have not used version 10. Heard it was awful., not sure if the issues were fixed)

3)Sony Vegas (What I am currently using since I cannot afford Avid, but I love it)

4) Adobe Premire (I guess.. lol)

Coming from a fairly amateur video editor, I've had nothing but problem with Premiere. Sony Vegas gives me no problems with resolution issues, and uploading to Youtube is super easy. Best thing to do is play around with them all, see what fits your personal needs.