Apple Prices

How can apple possibly justify their prices. I've got two laptops to show you. They are speced identically as far as i can tell except that the windows laptop has a slightly faster processor.

I always understood that you might pay even a couple hundred dollars more for an apple... but double the price? It's insane.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC372LL/A?mco=MTc0Njg1ODg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131087

Pfft. You mad? Is Apple had stupid prices their products wouldn't sell to be perfectly honest. Looks at the iPads competitors for example, they are all a higher or equal price to the iPad.. :laugh:

They justify it because people buy it.

This.

Yes Apple products are sometimes a lot more expensive than competing products from other manufacturers. But if they still sell well, why should Apple reduce the price on them?

Simple business practice tbh, raise the price and see how the market handles it. If Apple can manage to sell a laptop that a higher price than say Dell, and get away with it..good for them.

There is more to it than just a PC. There's the quality of the enclosure, the seem less integration of the software/hardware as well as the constant 'free' updates. I personally love my 13" MBP.

They can get away with it because there product is differentiated from the other product by having a unique os which no one else can sell. There's nothing unique about every other computer manufacturer so they can only compete on price.

There is more to it than just a PC. There's the quality of the enclosure, the seem less integration of the software/hardware as well as the constant 'free' updates. I personally love my 13" MBP.

i loled out loud.

anyways thread is unnecessarily inflammatory and done to death in the past decade.

yeah apple PCs are more expensive. part of the reason they stay at 4% market share. yeah you can do everything on windows that you can do on OSX for less upfront and cheaper to maintain in the long run for both home and business. yeah apple refreshes their product lineup with slight improvements every six months and the online tech media advertise it for free like it's a big deal. yaddaydda yadda.

there's an apple section on neowin where people care about apple stuff. this is hardware hangout.

i loled out loud.

anyways thread is unnecessarily inflammatory and done to death in the past decade.

yeah apple PCs are more expensive. part of the reason they stay at 4% market share. yeah you can do everything on windows that you can do on OSX for less upfront and cheaper to maintain in the long run for both home and business. yeah apple refreshes their product lineup with slight improvements every six months and the online tech media advertise it for free like it's a big deal. yaddaydda yadda.

there's an apple section on neowin where people care about apple stuff. this is hardware hangout.

i wanted this to largely be a hardware discussion..

They justify it because people buy it.

what people? Certainly not me or anyone i know. I and others would like a good apple laptop... but it's far too rich for our blood.

what people? Certainly not me or anyone i know. I and others would like a good apple laptop... but it's far too rich for our blood.

what's there to discuss?

apple sells the same hardware at a higher price because they feel OSX is worht the large premium because according to apple fans OSX is so much better than win in every way no matter what even if technically speaking it is not but w/e that's where the exxtra cost comes from, not the alluminim body or other build materials that would add up to such an incredibly small portion of the build expense for apple.

but there's nothing to discuss. apple's strategy has been well known for PCs for quite some time. i'm surprised anyone still wants to talk about it.

Is the Samsung made out of aluminum? More importantly, does it run OS X?

FWIW, I don't think the 15'' Macbook Pro is a very good deal, but the 13'' for under $1000 certainly is.

an alluminum case doesn't account for $1000 and MacOS costs only $30 retail. Windows 7 costs $200. Unless someone can point out some other hardware difference it would just seem like a shameless markup on a product made with Foxconn slave labor.

Apple just had a 20 billion dollar quater, there are a lot of people buying them and each has their own reason. You cant purely look at specs, when I buy a suite, you could argue "its all just cotten" but you pay more for higher quality stiching. Same with laptops, Apple is the premium brand, every market has one, and there products stand the test of time. look at the re-sale value of a MBP vs the laptop you linked too.

How can apple possibly justify their prices. I've got two laptops to show you. They are speced identically as far as i can tell except that the windows laptop has a slightly faster processor.

I always understood that you might pay even a couple hundred dollars more for an apple... but double the price? It's insane.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC372LL/A?mco=MTc0Njg1ODg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131087

here is the split up

OSX cost 200 extra

Apple Logo cost $500

unibody cost $200

Apple profit $100

Apple just had a 20 billion dollar quater, there are a lot of people buying them and each has their own reason. You cant purely look at specs, when I buy a suite, you could argue "its all just cotten" but you pay more for higher quality stiching. Same with laptops, Apple is the premium brand, every market has one, and there products stand the test of time. look at the re-sale value of a MBP vs the laptop you linked too.

apple doesn't make those kinds of profits off their pc lines and never has.

they see those kinds of profits from their mobile devices.

You're right. No one buys Apples products. What Apple is doing really is printing fake American cheques which they cash in secret and hold lavish marketing events to make people believe they are a real company.

All these other people need to wake up and smell the iConspiracy - It's all around us! :alien:

I never said that they made it 100% from their PCs but it does represent a large portion of its profits. According to this chart from Apple, over 6 billion dollars was made from Mac sales....

2010-10-20008back2mac.jpg

that's part of my point. Apple could be putting real pressure on the PC market.. Apple could dominate a large portion of the market but they refuse to drop down to a reasonable price point. In fact they raised prices during a recession when people are losing jobs and having pay cuts.

http://store.apple.c...mco=MTc0Njg1ODg

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834131087

Woah what are you comparing there? A big LOL

- Apple Quality

- OS X Quality

- A MUCH better Trackpad (Multitouch trackpad)

- A MUCH better screen (just take a look at the number of ppi)

- Unibody, aluminum design

- And name them.

You're comparing a Ferrari to a Mercedes. The Ferrari will cost you half a million and will go at a specific maximum speed, the Mercedes will cost $80K if you're not lucky and will go at the same speed, and you decide to stay in your little closed box and you're only looking at the top speed? Wow...

Welcome to the internet?? This has been discussed forever, yet somehow people still create new topics lol People will pay it, right now Apple is the "IT" thing in most popular culture. That is all there is to it.

Woah what are you comparing there? A big LOL

- Apple Quality

- OS X Quality

- A MUCH better Trackpad (Multitouch trackpad)

- A MUCH better screen (just take a look at the number of ppi)

- Unibody, aluminum design

- And name them.

You're comparing a Ferrari to a Mercedes. The Ferrari will cost you half a million and will go at a specific maximum speed, the Mercedes will cost $80K if you're not lucky and will go at the same speed, and you decide to stay in your little closed box and you're only looking at the top speed? Wow...

- Apple Quality ..what does this mean?

- OS X Quality ..already established that OSX only costs $30

- A MUCH better Trackpad (Multitouch trackpad) .. because the first thing you need to do is have two cursers moving around on screen

- A MUCH better screen (just take a look at the number of ppi) .. so what you are saying is that it's a smaller screen for an almost unnoticeable difference

- Unibody, aluminum design .. again. it can't possiblely be worth $1000

- And name them. .. what does this mean?

i've never understood comparing computers to cars.. but if i had to compare one OS to a cramped car it would probably be the Mac. It is far more restrictive in it's configuruation as defined in Apple's "Our way or the highway" policy.

- Apple Quality ..what does this mean?

- OS X Quality ..already established that OSX only costs $30

- A MUCH better Trackpad (Multitouch trackpad) .. because the first thing you need to do is have two cursers moving around on screen

- A MUCH better screen (just take a look at the number of ppi) .. so what you are saying is that it's a smaller screen for an almost unnoticeable difference

- Unibody, aluminum design .. again. it can't possiblely be worth $1000

- And name them. .. what does this mean?

i've never understood comparing computers to cars.. but if i had to compare one OS to a cramped car it would probably be the Mac. It is far more restrictive in it's configuruation as defined in Apple's "Our way or the highway" beliefs.

What? :blink:

It also comes down to support. When you buy a computer from a company like dell or any other OEM PC manufactures they all outsource their support to india because they can't afford you calling in for support. Because they didn't make enough markup on the computer to pay for your support call. Apple on the other hand has great support.