Windows Phone Has Me Thinking Like an iPhone User

Windows Phone Has Me Thinking Like an iPhone User

Let me start by saying that I'd give up sliced bread for my Focus. It's beautiful ? and not just aesthetics but also in terms of use. The subtleties throughout the OS keep peeking out and keep me amused by every second of using my Windows Phone. It's not just the big picture integration and glance and go techniques they employed. It's also the little things, like the incoming call screen that just hides off the screen and bounces a bit so you have to slide the screen up to answer the call (which looks great while avoiding accidentally answering a call when the phone is in your pocket). Or the way that the arrow to get to programs moves when you hit the last of your tiles. There's something magical in the implementation of the big picture integration throughout the phone combined with such fine detail that you 'discover' as you use the phone that make it such a pleasant experience and without really using the phone you can't fully appreciate it. In fact, it's a work of art, like a Warhol or something. It's so graphic and so different that you don't know how it took so long for it to be here. But it's also like fine art in that you may fall in love with the image and it distracts you from the flaws that others may see.You see, with each iteration of the iPhone the flock of sheep that buy them get in line and all agree that it' is a masterpiece?the best?unmatched (until of course the next version comes out). And if you point out the flaws to them, they deny it's a flaw and state they're perfectly fine without that feature and simply continue to love them despite the feature of the week that your phone has. And you can look at it and see all of its flaws, clear as day and they simply don't care about those flaws and are happier with their 'flawed' device than you are with your 'perfect' device. And as silly as it all is?that is where I'm finding myself.

I know I want to control my ringtone. And I know I want copy and paste. And I know I want to be able to organize my apps better?I know, I know, I know. And I don't care about them. I can justify it by saying that most of those features are coming in an update that's on the way but even without that, I've (for better or worse) have accepted the device for what it is and I'm still in love with it. For those of you confused, if you're married then you should know what I mean. I have news for you ? your wife isn't perfect, but mine is. Does my wife have flaws? Not to me?Yup, I just compared my wife to a phone ? it's just an analogy people, calm down.

The point of all of this: I love my Windows Phone and I don't care what flaws you think it has. It's mine, I'm not giving it up and it's only getting better. So you don't need to tell me why you think your phone is better than mine. It's not. If I wanted your phone I would have bought it. I didn't because mine is better. So there.

Source

I think that's one thing WP7 lacks compared to iPhone - fanboys! :laugh: need more people like this guy.

What a joke, he love the device even if does not have all the basics in place, its like buying a laptop with only DOS installed. :laugh:

Lame. You need iJoke to be funny Quattrone.

Waiting on Rogers to ship me my Samsung Focus.

I wonder what everyone will cry about when these "basic features" are added in by this time next year?

Marketplace is up to 2,123 apps and growing btw. Should break 3k before the month ends at rhis rate.

What a joke, he love the device even if does not have all the basics in place, its like buying a laptop with only DOS installed.

What a suprise the first iTroll was you...

I wonder what everyone will cry about when these "basic features" are added in by this time next year?

Marketplace is up to 2,123 apps and growing btw. Should break 3k before the month ends at rhis rate.

I don't think WP7 marketplace will ever hit 200k :/ iOS needs that as there is no trial mode for apps. Effectively double the app count in same case - Lite this and Pro that.

It currently almost has everything that most people need save for the games - which are still kind of limited.

Having been an original iPhone user, I know what it's like to be missing the basics, and I forgave iOS back then. I can forgive Windows Phone 7 now. If there are other exceptional facets of the experience that easily make up for the lack of some features, I'm willing to overlook those features.

Having been an original iPhone users, I know what it's like to be missing the basics, and I forgave iOS back then. I can forgive Windows Phone 7 now. If there are other exceptional facets of the experience that easily make up for the lack of some features, I'm willing to overlook those features.

Give it a try in a store and you will get basic idea. It becomes better once you connect it with you account. Here is one thing better than iPhone - you can use your phone while it's syncing. :)

I don't think WP7 marketplace will ever hit 200k :/ iOS needs that as there is no trial mode for apps. Effectively double the app count in same case - Lite this and Pro that.

It currently almost has everything that most people need save for the games - which are still kind of limited.

Well I dunno if it'll hit 200k, but it could if it keeps selling good and the user base grows. The other key is how quick MS opens up new APIs to devs so they can access other features and thus make different apps they can't make now.

My Focus arrived last night and I can't put the thing down - it's incredible, even with the missing features. I love all the animations, the little surprises, the flow and polish - makes my coworker's iPhone 4 look old and outdated.

The only downside is that a solder joint on the USB connector port is bad (I have to hold the cable in a certain position in order to connect/charge it - switching cables/computers didn't fix it), so I have to ship it back to get a replacement. :( Haven't heard of anyone else having that issue, so I assume I just got a lemon.

Doesn't all users of just about everything think that way? :p

What you own yourself is always the best

at least some of the users are happy.

Hmm I haven't read about a whole lot of people not being satisfied...

Well, I charted the rate of app growth then had Excel forecast future growth...

Am I doing it right?

Microsoft_Excel_-_Book1_2828.png

Its going to be many years before Microsoft can make a claim of apps in that quantity. A 100 days just isn't realistic.

I'm still trying to find a good deal on a Nexus One, but I always had a WinMo device since the pocket PC. I was mostly disappointed in the UI but love the PC functionality of it all.

If a great phone like the Nexus One (in terms of specs) can be found in the US with WP7, I'll give it a try.

I'm still trying to find a good deal on a Nexus One, but I always had a WinMo device since the pocket PC. I was mostly disappointed in the UI but love the PC functionality of it all.

If a great phone like the Nexus One (in terms of specs) can be found in the US with WP7, I'll give it a try.

What doesnt the Focus meet in your opinion?

I am an early adopter of the G1 and still have it. I am now waiting for the Dell Venue Pro to hit stores. A little comp doesn't hurt and I think Microsoft will do well in the long run.

Its going to be many years before Microsoft can make a claim of apps in that quantity. A 100 days just isn't realistic.

Calm down there buddy, it was just a bit of humour. Of course the chart is ridiculous :)

It's still interesting to track the app numbers I think because they're a direct indicator of how the platform is actually doing when you don't have official sales numbers (and that 40k bit is BS imo.), so I look it up once or twice a day for now.

As of 11/13 9AM they have 2,177 apps.

It's still interesting to track the app numbers I think because they're a direct indicator of how the platform is actually doing when you don't have official sales numbers (and that 40k bit is BS imo.), so I look it up once or twice a day for now.

As of 11/13 9AM they have 2,177 apps.

apps numbers is nice to track, but i think also the avg cost per app and quality is important to the end user.

apps numbers is nice to track, but i think also the avg cost per app and quality is important to the end user.

How so? There could be apps that are overly expensive that no one will buy... Wouldn't make a difference to me.

There currently is a $499.99 app in the Windows Phone 7 Marketplace, lol.

I agree, the vast majority of apps are 99c and the 2nd most are free apps. 3rd are $1.99 apps etc. As for quality, well you'll have to look at the user rating for the apps when you check them out in the marketplace.