Windows Phone Has Me Thinking Like an iPhone User

I wonder what everyone will cry about when these "basic features" are added in by this time next year?

I'm sure they'll consider it then, instead of buying a half-assed product now out of brand loyalty. Of course by the time they actually do all the things you personally think they will (unsourced claims are your personal wishes, not fact) the competition will probably be ahead anyway and have other exciting products out.

Personally I think it's reasonable to expect a major player like Microsoft to be ahead of the curve, but I guess not everyone cares as long as it has a flag on it.

I'm sure they'll consider it then, instead of buying a half-assed product now out of brand loyalty. Of course by the time they actually do all the things you personally think they will (unsourced claims are your personal wishes, not fact) the competition will probably be ahead anyway and have other exciting products out.

Personally I think it's reasonable to expect a major player like Microsoft to be ahead of the curve, but I guess not everyone cares as long as it has a flag on it.

Don't you get bored with your constant anti-MS trolling? WP7 has been almost universally praised for its unique and innovative UI, its smoothness, the amount of polish present in a v1.0 product and the fact that it contains numerous features that are unmatched by the competition. Calling it half-arsed because a couple of features will arrive slightly later than the product launch just makes you look silly.

Well I dunno if it'll hit 200k, but it could if it keeps selling good and the user base grows. The other key is how quick MS opens up new APIs to devs so they can access other features and thus make different apps they can't make now.

Yes! More APIs ftw! I am getting a Windows Phone 7 phone tomorrow and plan to begin developing for it right away, but I need app ideas too. If you have any, let me know. ;)

Don't you get bored with your constant anti-MS trolling?

It's not trolling to state that I expect more from a corporation like Microsoft. I'm sorry that it hurts your feelings because you're so loyal to a brand, but it's just my opinion.

WP7 has been almost universally praised for its unique and innovative UI, its smoothness, the amount of polish present in a v1.0 product and the fact that it contains numerous features that are unmatched by the competition.

If you say so. The very first review I found on Google (Engadget) right now said it felt unfinished. My opinion is that a "v1.0 product" released late into an existing market by someone like Microsoft better be at the same level or preferably above the competition.

Calling it half-arsed because a couple of features will arrive slightly later than the product launch just makes you look silly.

The absolute only reason people who feel that WP7 is missing basic features (in other words is a half-ass product, and not something you'd expect from someone with Microsoft's resources) would still buy it is out of brand loyalty.

Calling it half-arsed because a couple of features will arrive slightly later than the product launch just makes you look silly.

I keep hearing this again and again. Can I ask for this Microsoft-published list of features that are going to come and when they will be released? Personally I think it's likely that Microsoft is going to add various things, but when you say "will" you're actually presenting it as fact. If I say that Microsoft "will add a socket API in October 2011" (so I can release an application I have without having to invest thousands in server-side hacks) then I am stating that as fact, and that's not something I can do without backing it up with an authoritative source.

The absolute only reason people who feel that WP7 is missing basic features (in other words is a half-ass product, and not something you'd expect from someone with Microsoft's resources) would still buy it is out of brand loyalty.

I think it's a bit short sighted to assume that as the 'only reason' people would buy WP7 is brand loyalty. With or without these arguable 'basic features', it still provides an extremely unique, fluid, and compelling experience, and I firmly believe this is what has driven the bulk of sales to date.

It's not trolling to state that I expect more from a corporation like Microsoft. I'm sorry that it hurts your feelings because you're so loyal to a brand, but it's just my opinion.

If you say so. The very first review I found on Google (Engadget) right now said it felt unfinished. My opinion is that a "v1.0 product" released late into an existing market by someone like Microsoft better be at the same level or preferably above the competition.

I keep hearing this again and again. Can I ask for this Microsoft-published list of features that are going to come and when they will be released? Personally I think it's likely that Microsoft is going to add various things, but when you say "will" you're actually presenting it as fact. If I say that Microsoft "will add a socket API in October 2011" (so I can release an application I have without having to invest thousands in server-side hacks) then I am stating that as fact, and that's not something I can do without backing it up with an authoritative source.

I only have a problem with your posts because all you ever do is criticise Microsoft. That's what makes you a troll.

As for the rest of your post, I never said anything about specific features and certainly didn't mention sockets. Perhaps your hatred is confusing you ;) We know that an update is coming in the next few months and we know that it will include copy and paste. That's the feature that most people are interested in and Microsoft are addressing it. Does the lack of copy and paste make the entire platform half-arsed? Only in your petty mind it would appear.

I think it's a bit short sighted to assume that as the 'only reason' people would buy WP7 is brand loyalty. With or without these arguable 'basic features', it still provides an extremely unique, fluid, and compelling experience, and I firmly believe this is what has driven the bulk of sales to date.

No no. The only reason people who feel it's incomplete would still buy it (like I know several people here militantly want them to) is due to brand loyalty. If they don't care about feature X and Y, they don't care. Many people buy "dumb" phones too, because it's all they want. Of course, even with this in mind you can still compile a reasonably objective list of things a complete and polished product should have in 2010.

I only have a problem with your posts because all you ever do is criticise Microsoft. That's what makes you a troll.

Nonsense. I give them criticism when I feel they deserve it. The level of criticism is proportional to the size and resources they have available. I think it's reasonable to hold them to a higher standard. I'm not going to spend time criticizing Linux vendor X when they have 0.3% of the market and no products I have any interest in.

As for the rest of your post, I never said anything about specific features and certainly didn't mention sockets.

I know you didn't. It's called an example. The point is that every single time someone points out a missing feature they would have liked, someone else comes and says that it "will" be added, even though there's no evidence of it. They just hope and think it will be because it seems like a reasonable feature to have. They don't seem to have this mythical feature roadmap released by Microsoft. If it exists, I'd love to have it.

Why is anyone going to rush out and buy something they feel is unfinished just because someone on Neowin claims that it will be finished sometime next year? Shouldn't he just wait until next year, and consider it against whatever the competition has out then?

Perhaps your hatred is confusing you ;)

I don't "hate" anything. I'm simply disappointed in the fact that Microsoft never quite manages to shine, even though they have every opportunity to. Much of it is down to very poor management, and not the people who actually do the work.

No, you'll still knock it then like you do now because you don't like something else, i expect nothing else from you at this point.

I know why I'm getting one, I don't know why others are but I don't care, if it's as half-assed and not worth it like you say why are you here even posting about it anyways? What sorta claims am I making that aren't logical and resonible ones to make at this point? Please fill me in on where you think i'm making up or wishing for things that can't happen because you see the need for everything to be followed by a official writen note from MS.

On the other hand, you should know that Engadget didn't even bother to review it separately and just updated few lines on their pre-release review from 4 months ago. It is a v1.0 product but it is as good as v3.0 from Apple and the UI is better than v4 (i.e. current) from Apple. The UI is above and beyond everything I have seen on the Android side so far (going by my experience with Aria, Captivate and Droid).

I don't think I bought it out of brand loyalty but I am genuinely impressed with the product. I bought iPhone 3G when it barely had any apps in store as well. It is wrong to generalize that everyone who buys WP7 is a MS fanboy.

As for the rest of your post, I never said anything about specific features and certainly didn't mention sockets. Perhaps your hatred is confusing you ;) We know that an update is coming in the next few months and we know that it will include copy and paste. That's the feature that most people are interested in and Microsoft are addressing it. Does the lack of copy and paste make the entire platform half-arsed? Only in your petty mind it would appear.

Hdood articulated his opinion on a product, but you felt com-pelt to reply and defend the product perhaps due to brand loyalty and branded his opinion "trolling" because it did not fall in line with yours.

No, you'll still knock it then like you do now because you don't like something else, i expect nothing else from you at this point.

Nope. At least I think the answer is "nope," as that sentence was rather incomprehensible.

What sorta claims am I making that aren't logical and resonible ones to make at this point? Please fill me in on where you think i'm making up or wishing for things that can't happen because you see the need for everything to be followed by a official writen note from MS.

Unless Microsoft (the people who make Windows Phone 7) says they intend to add a certain feature, you cannot make posts on the internet stating that they will. Everything "can" happen, but that doesn't mean it will.

Hdood articulated his opinion on a product, but you felt com-pelt to reply and defend the product perhaps due to brand loyalty and branded his opinion "trolling" because it did not fall in line with yours.

Com-pelt? Get back to me once you've finished primary school.

Hdood is a troll. If you check his comment history you'll see that he only ever turns up in Microsoft-related threads to bitch and complain. Christ, he's even dredging up old complaints here unprompted because it's all he's capable of.

I bought my Samsung Focus based on how it felt after using an iPhone 3GS (1 year) and a Samsung Captivate (Android 2.1, 4 months) and after owning the Focus for week, I am happier with it than I was with either of the other phones, both at much later and more polished versions of their respective OSs. The only real glaring issues are lack of copy/paste and Bing Navigation, both of which we should have in January. Everything else is pretty much spot on for my needs. Pretty much all of the gadget sites, and lately Engadget more than usual, are far too obsessed with having the first review online instead of the most comprehensive. Much like Engadgets review of Kinect, where 85% through he figures out he has the room overlit (in order to get a crisp video review) and that most of his lag issues were reltaed to that, but did he redo or even append the review? Nope and it's the same here, they took a preview and slightly updated it, mostly obsessing about a handful of things it doesn't do the same as other phones.

My linkndows Phone her

Here is one thing better than iPhone - you can use your phone while it's syncing. :)

SERIOUSLY? You can't use an iPhone while it's syncing? I know with iTunes if you disconnect it while syncing you might have problems, but they can't even let you use it while syncing? What if you get a phone call? That actually effects the user greatly, since it is hindering the ability to use the phone as a, you guessed it, PHONE.

I thought the iPhone would "just work" :/

Pretty much all of the gadget sites, and lately Engadget more than usual, are far too obsessed with having the first review online instead of the most comprehensive. Much like Engadgets review of Kinect, where 85% through he figures out he has the room overlit (in order to get a crisp video review) and that most of his lag issues were reltaed to that, but did he redo or even append the review? Nope and it's the same here, they took a preview and slightly updated it, mostly obsessing about a handful of things it doesn't do the same as other phones.

I made a pretty in-depth video review of all the aspects of Windows Phone here on YouTube, it's like an hour long if you view all the videos in the playlist :o

Hdood is a troll. If you check his comment history you'll see that he only ever turns up in Microsoft-related threads to bitch and complain.

That is as ridiculous as saying that everyone who says anything positive in a Microsoft thread is a fanboy. If you don't like someone's opinion, just ignore them and don't respond.

By the way, I really like the fact that Microsoft changed the command bar in Windows 7 and got rid of ugly turquoise. It looks very nice now. Nice job, Microsoft! Also, the tie Ballmer is wearing today looks really nice with that shirt.

Windows Phone 7 has such a beautiful and elegant UI design, plus that great hub-centric model that I guess within a couple of years it will completely destroy iPhone and Android with the broken app-centric model.

I wonder what everyone will cry about when these "basic features" are added in by this time next year?

Marketplace is up to 2,123 apps and growing btw. Should break 3k before the month ends at rhis rate.

iPhone will keep improving too ...

Well, I charted the rate of app growth then had Excel forecast future growth...

Am I doing it right?

No you are using Excel instead of something like Matlab or Maple.

My linkndows Phone her

SERIOUSLY? You can't use an iPhone while it's syncing? I know with iTunes if you disconnect it while syncing you might have problems, but they can't even let you use it while syncing? What if you get a phone call? That actually effects the user greatly, since it is hindering the ability to use the phone as a, you guessed it, PHONE.

I made a pretty in-depth video review of all the aspects of Windows Phone here on YouTube, it's like an hour long if you view all the videos in the playlist :o

it just aborts the sync pinch.gif

Windows Phone 7 has such a beautiful and elegant UI design, plus that great hub-centric model that I guess within a couple of years it will completely destroy iPhone and Android with the broken app-centric model.

I don't know if your previous account got banned Pezzovante, or whether you are just trying to be cute, either way you haven't done a great job of disguising yourself. Also, the fact that WP7 sales are slow suggests to me that you are wrong.

iPhone will keep improving too ...

No one said otherwise, but it's harder to improve at a dramatic rate when you're in top spot (though that's debatible), than it is to be behind so you see where others have made mistakes or come up short and you can do better.

Nope. At least I think the answer is "nope," as that sentence was rather incomprehensible.

I'm sure you understood that sentence just fine.

Unless Microsoft (the people who make Windows Phone 7) says they intend to add a certain feature, you cannot make posts on the internet stating that they will. Everything "can" happen, but that doesn't mean it will.

So where and when did I say they'd add something specific as fact?

If you get a call while syncing, you can still take the call. It doesn't abort the sync. Syncing just blocks you out of most facets of the user interface. I wish it were fully usable during sync, but there are reasons why it isn't (backups, for instance).

As far as app count goes, every app that has a try or buy option in the WP7 marketplace should be counted twice - then we would have a better comparison with app count on iOS and Android. Many iPhone apps have both a Lite and Pro version - and that's a bug, not a feature.