UFC 128 - Shogun Rua (c) vs. Jon Jones

It's still funny that people get so worked up about it. I don't care for them as fighters but the smack talk I still find amusing. I suppose I should clarify that.:rofl:

it works well in wrestling but in mma its a bit out there...I mean if you can back it up then awesome but he...didn't :rofl:

He did it for 4 straight rounds at least. Chael would be a great pick for a TUF coach, BR vs USA edition.

Also Jim Miller vs Kamal Shalorus.. 2nd PPV that both the Miller brothers are fighting!

Which one is the good one again? :rofl:

His submission of Charles Oliveira was awesome (even if Charles didn't know how to defend it properly)

Nate Marquardt to replace Chael Sonnen against Akiyama, well at least we know its going to be an exciting fight now..

Is Nate on an Asian binge? And what do you mean by exciting now? Chael smashing Akiyama for 3 rounds wasn't exciting enough for you?

Yeah but that would've been pretty one sided, at least we know we're gonna get a fight and not someone sitting on the other punching him unable to finish.. At least Marquardt has the power to KO him standin up..

Yeah but that would've been pretty one sided, at least we know we're gonna get a fight and not someone sitting on the other punching him unable to finish.. At least Marquardt has the power to KO him standin up..

Did you last both of these guys last fights? They were pretty much that. Akiyama staring at a gassed Bisping and not finishing him off. Nate, pretty much the same thing.

Maybe they'll stare at each other and get fired.

Yeah but the difference with Marquardt is he's only lost 4 fights out of 14 since 2004, he's got a pretty solid stand up and ground game, he's gonna beat down on Akiyama..

Yeah but the difference with Marquardt is he's only lost 4 fights out of 14 since 2004, he's got a pretty solid stand up and ground game, he's gonna beat down on Akiyama..

Oh Akiyama is toast. That's a given. But if Nate doesn't put on the pressure to finish the fight or deliver a massive beatdown in his way to a majority decision, I don't know how his standing with Dana White will be.

The Ultimate Fighter season ten contestant Brendan Schaub confirmed to Inside MMA last week that he will face 2006 PRIDE FC Open-Weight Grand Prix winner Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic this March at UFC 128.

A student under renowned trainer Greg Jackson, Schaub has shown marked improvement in his game since suffering a knockout loss at the hands of Roy "Big Country" Nelson in the TUF 10 Finale last year. He has gone on from that fight to knock out Chase Gormley and Chris Tuchscherer as well as earn an impressive unanimous decision over Gabriel Gonzaga. "The Hybrid" was earlier rumored to face former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir as well as Struve, but the former pro footballer will now apparently have his stand up tested against "Cro Cop."

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has given no indication that he is currently able to compete at the same level that he did during his tenure in the PRIDE Fighting Championships, where he was one of the promotion's most feared fighters. His career has gone up and down since signing with the UFC in 2007. He has split his last four fights in the promotion, sandwiching wins over Anthony Perosh and Pat Barry with stoppage losses to Junior dos Santos and Frank Mir. "Cro Cop" and Mir were heavily criticized for their September bout, which featured almost no offense until the closing round, when Mir landed the fight-ending knee.

Schaub and Filipovic will square off at UFC 128, which is tentatively scheduled for March 19th at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey.

• 1 month later...

Beastly promo. Much better thant the UFC 127 one (quite hard to make an exciting promo of Fitch highlights).

yeah one of the best promos I have seen in a long time

• 3 weeks later...

No talk about Rua vs Jones? This is going to be a pretty exciting fight. You have Jones, a guy that reminds everyone of Rua when he was 23 and won the Pride Grand Prix. And you have Rua, a guy many believe to be a fighter reclaiming his former glory.

I gotta be honest if I were a betting man my money would be on Rua. Jones is an explosive contender but he hasn't had his Jaw tested yet. Rua will make him feel the pressure and I believe Jones will fold.

No talk about Rua vs Jones? This is going to be a pretty exciting fight. You have Jones, a guy that reminds everyone of Rua when he was 23 and won the Pride Grand Prix. And you have Rua, a guy many believe to be a fighter reclaiming his former glory.

I gotta be honest if I were a betting man my money would be on Rua. Jones is an explosive contender but he hasn't had his Jaw tested yet. Rua will make him feel the pressure and I believe Jones will fold.

Zuffa buying Strikeforce kind of took over the MMA news world. But still, lots of excitement for UFC 128 at least for me. Not only for the Jon Jones fight, the undercard and prelims are stacked with great potential fights. Schaub, Faber, Barboza, Benavidez all great fighters who deliver.

Should be a brilliant card, going to have to go for Rua over Jones, Jones has done well but he hasn't fought any of the top 5 light heavies which is weird Rua will be the 1st top 5 LHW he fights, even weirder is the betting odds have Jon Jones to win the difference between the top 5 and 6-10 is massive, should be an interesting fight to see if Jon Jones really is the messiah :whistle:

Should be a brilliant card, going to have to go for Rua over Jones, Jones has done well but he hasn't fought any of the top 5 light heavies which is weird Rua will be the 1st top 5 LHW he fights, even weirder is the betting odds have Jon Jones to win the difference between the top 5 and 6-10 is massive, should be an interesting fight to see if Jon Jones really is the messiah :whistle:

It's a great time to bet on Shogun. The odds are so skewed because Jones has been winning in very decisive manner. He beat Ryan Bader like it was no big deal and dominated Vladimir Matyushenko, Brandon Vera and Matt Hamill in devastating fashion causing all of them imense damage. As for the Top 5 thing... well it's complicated. If you use the Sherdog rankings, Jones is the 5th ranked LHW with followed by Lyoto (on a two fight losing streak), Rampage (on a 1 "win" streak and relegated to fight Matt Hamil who is Top 20, his "win" over Machida hasn't conviced anyone) and Evans (who chose to wait for Shogun and now gets passed over). Don't see Jones having much trouble with either Machida (who couldn't beat Rampage) and Rampage (who couldn't beat Evans) so... he's the best contender possible after Evans to fight for the title. Dana White is probably nipping some "Oh noes I won't fight Evans for the title" dramas in the bud here, supposing he won over Shogun.

I wouldn't under estimate Machida just because he lost to Rampage he's never lost before his last 2 fights and it looks as if he simply doesn't know how to handle it and lost a lot of his confidence.

I haven't really looked at the top lists properly looking at them now and it seems odd that one of the UFCs most stacked weight class seems to have fizzled out. :blink: