Software for a HTPC?

Hey all

I need a new way of playing MKVs on my living room TV, currently using a 'Network Media Tank' also know as popcorn hour but i need to be replaced.

As i regularlary build my own gaming rig i was thinking about trying my hand at building a new HTPC.

Here are the components i was going to use:

ATOM Processor/Motherboard

Case

1TB HDD

4GB DDR2

What i was wondering is,

Is there any software i can install that is as intuitive and easy to use as my NMT or 'popcorn hour'.

Does anyone know if there is a decent remote control fro HTPC's

cheers

XBMC will play just about anything you throw at it and supports hardware acceleration. It's probably got the most clean and simple UI of the bunch but the add on support/execution is kind of lacking. Boxee, XBMC fork, will do wonders too with file support but it's not as smooth as XBMC with the UI but does a much better job with add-ons as the developers build the add ons themselves so they fit better into the UI.

MediaPortal is another option but I've never tried. WMC will work too but requires way more work up front with codecs just to get support for MKV and I don't think it does hardware acceleration yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 7 Home premium or Ultimate packaged with K-Lilte codecs (free) will play mkv files.

MCE remote, MCE keyboard, or Logitech Harmony remotes work nicely.

You want MPC-HC if you just want the Windows desktop and a simple player, it supports DXVA out of the box (it's just an .exe) and is the player to use for HD media. And be warned: don't install any codec "packs" if you're going with this, it will only **** things up and leave unnecessary things on your computer. Though you might need ffdshow for passthrough if you're going to do that.

You want XBMC if you want the whole Media Center experience, it's got a great UI (depending on the skin you choose) and supports DXVA. Not sure about passthrough here.

However, get the Zotac motherboard with the nVidia GPU. While the Intel GPU "supports" DXVA, it's known to have troubles with it and I'd steer away from it if possible. The Atom will not be able to handle [decent] HD on its own.