external hard drive crashes computer

hey,

i just got a new external drive it is a welland me-540j dual bay with usb2.0 and esata. i also got an esata card 54 for my laptop. the external is set up with 2x2tb drives in raid0 and was originally using usb but everytime i try and plug it into esata it crashes 'my computer'. i am running vista business 32bit. any more info needed just ask. is there something that i am doing wrong?

hey,

i just got a new external drive it is a welland me-540j dual bay with usb2.0 and esata. i also got an esata card 54 for my laptop. the external is set up with 2x2tb drives in raid0 and was originally using usb but everytime i try and plug it into esata it crashes 'my computer'. i am running vista business 32bit. any more info needed just ask. is there something that i am doing wrong?

Running Vista, for one.

Running Vista, for one.

please no stupid comments, ive been running this version of vista perfectly for 4 years without 1 format. if you don't have anything HELPFUL.......sssshhhh!

What do you mean by "crashes 'my computer'"?

BSD, just not working or something else?

i mean when i click on 'my computer', or better yet 'explorer.exe", it crashes and i have to end process and restart it.

corrupted driver for the controller that handles the esata port maybe? try cleaning out the driver and reinstalling.

i can't uninstall the esata card. it freezes up aswell. i tried to update the driver with the one on the cd but its the same as the one windows installed.

help.

i can't uninstall the esata card. it freezes up aswell. i tried to update the driver with the one on the cd but its the same as the one windows installed.

help.

you're doing this in safe mode right?

Hello,

Does the problem occur if you apply power to the external ESATA enclosure, connect it to the notebook computer, and then apply power to the notebook?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I'm not sure your's is the same as mine but the ESATA drive must be connected and powered on before powering on the PC.

Just a thought!

that makes sence, but i tried it and windows will not load with the drive plugged in via esata.

Hello,

When starting the computer with the drive already attached and powered up, go into the BIOS and verify you are still set to boot first from the computer's internal hard disk drive.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

When starting the computer with the drive already attached and powered up, go into the BIOS and verify you are still set to boot first from the computer's internal hard disk drive.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

check. i have the drive powered on and connected while the laptop is off and power unplugged. powered back on and made sure i was booting from internal and windows hangs on loading. i think i might take my drive to a friend who has a known working esata port just to make sure my drive is working through esata.