• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WinXP or WinVista

xMetian    0

Hi there,

I've got a question for you all. When I bought this PC it had Windows XP on it, but I also got an upgrade to Windows Vista. Now I have been using Windows XP for like always, but now I'm started to wonder if it isn't better to go to Windows Vista. (Don't know why I think this, but it just came up in my mind).

But my question is, should I stay with XP or go to Vista ?.. Also does it matter if it is XP or Vista when it comes to performance for games (World of Warcraft etc) ?. I got 8800GTS which should handle DirectX10 on Vista for example. ( AMD Athlon X2 64 3800+, 4GB ram, 8800GTS 320mb )

I wanted to know your opinion about this, because I'm not sure about it, and don't want to waste time upgrade to Vista and then find out it wasn't worth it.

Thanks in advance.

( oh and if this is in the wrong section. Please do hate me and correct me ).

Hazardous Pain    1

i'd say go for vista or if you can seven, the xp is a decade old now!! Your rig is quite good so you shouldn't encounter any perfomance or gaming problems!

Ci7    205

well , your spec speak volume upgrade

go straight to win7 if you can , that would be even better :)

Microsoft BOB™ 10    978

Go with XP. Esp if it's Vista Home or Ultimate whose support will end in 2012, 2 years earlier than XP.

Frylock86    95

With those spec's I'd go with VISTA! Vista has overall more stability, it's more secure, and your machine won't fall victim to Windows Rot. You will otherwise gimp your machine with XP.

Go with XP. Esp if it's Vista Home or Ultimate whose support will end in 2012, 2 years earlier than XP.

XP at this point in time is only getting security patches. If he wants to use anything new he won't be able to with XP.

+Frank B.    7,151

Buy an upgrade to Windows 7. It's worth it.

bogas04    195

Flawed    8

Stick with XP. Better application support, game compatibility, hardware support/compatibility etc. It also uses half the memory of Vista/7, so more is available for the system and games.

If you only want WOW, you could even try Ubuntu 10.10. WOW works flawlessly under wine. Plus you get updates forever, so you don't have to worry about microsoft pulling support for your platform. It's an option anyway.

Lazure    52

Get 64-bit Vista or Windows 7, because you have 4GB of RAM, 32-bit XP cannot use all 4GB of it, only about 3GB of it. XP Is gimping your hardware. With your specs, XP is only holding it back. Windows 7 especially would run WAY better. The poster above me cleary is ignoring all the advantages that Vista/7 have over XP, and is not taking into account the fact that XP technicially steals an entire 1GB of usable memory from you since it's not 64-bit.

Frylock86    95

Get 64-bit Vista or Windows 7, because you have 4GB of RAM, 32-bit XP cannot use all 4GB of it, only about 3GB of it. XP Is gimping your hardware. With your specs, XP is only holding it back. Windows 7 especially would run WAY better. The poster above me cleary is ignoring all the advantages that Vista/7 have over XP, and is not taking into account the fact that XP technicially steals an entire 1GB of usable memory from you since it's not 64-bit.

Not to mention the above poster is misinformed. Windows Vista and Windows 7 don't use up that much more RAM than XP does, and with 4GB in your system, you have plenty to spare for system resources and gaming.

Or going by that logic, you can always install Windows 2000, as it uses less resources than XP does. :pinch: :no:

Sadelwo    162

Stick with XP. Better application support, game compatibility, hardware support/compatibility etc. It also uses half the memory of Vista/7, so more is available for the system and games.

Seriously what is this 2006?

somethingelse    0

Vista definitely.

+Elliot B.    1,578

Vista 64-bit.

xMetian    0

Thanks for all the replies.

I've checked and it seems it's Win Vista 32-bit. So I'll use that for the time being until I have enough money to get Win7, but it's most likely I'm going for a new PC with Win7 next year. Guess it's kinda time for it :p.

So, thanks for the replies.!

lalalawawawa    59

Use Windows 95, it uses less memory!

I mean like, come on. Go with Vista, and enjoy. ;) Start saving up little by little for 7 upgrade. :)

mak123    8

now change to vista after that you switch directly to 8

Ci7    205

O really ?

XP 4 year extended support doesn't mean jack

for a starter

you would cripple perfectly fine DirectX class card

then you would loss anything above 3GB of ram

not mentioning increasingly more application/games dropped XP support now and that would only accelerate in the upcoming year

you might as well stick with floppy drive and serial port! rolleyes.gif

edit:

off topic;

i wander what Neowin OS/browser marketshare are like ?

Southern Patriot    937

I've checked and it seems it's Win Vista 32-bit. So I'll use that for the time being until I have enough money to get Win7, but it's most likely I'm going for a new PC with Win7 next year. Guess it's kinda time for it :p.

The key for Vista will work for either 32-bit or 64-bit, so if you can locate a 64-bit install disc, use that with your key. My main desktop is only slightly more powerful than what you have and it runs great with either Vista or 7 (running 7 on it right now).

+Elliot B.    1,578

The key will work/activate with the 64-bit version.

Frylock86    95

Awesome choice mate! (Y)

soldier1st    40

Either Stick to XP or buy an upgrade to Windows 7. Vista is very slow even with good hardware.

hdood    145

Either Stick to XP or buy an upgrade to Windows 7. Vista is very slow even with good hardware.

Is it? The performance difference between it and 7 is minimal.

The_DINGUS    1

False.

Flawed    8

is not taking into account the fact that XP technicially steals an entire 1GB of usable memory from you since it's not 64-bit.

XP 64bit?

Is it? The performance difference between it and 7 is minimal.

Exactly, that's why he should stay with XP.

De.Bug    19

I would recommend Vista. It's more secure than XP, has a better interface, and is more user friendly (notice i said more). Vista has it's problems, but it's better than XP imo.