Daniel Day-Lewis Cast as Abraham Lincoln in Spielberg's Biopic

806008083.jpg

Since the project has been gestating for years now, it wasn't much of a surprise when we learned that Liam Neeson was no longer attached to Steven Spielberg's biopic of Abraham Lincoln, the iconic 16th President of the United States. Before his departure from the project was official though, Spielberg assured us that his take on the president's life was still on the way. Since then we've heard that the director would next tackle an adaptation of the forthcoming sci-fi book Robopocalypse, but a press release from DreamWorks pegs Spielberg as directing the biopic in the fall of 2011 and reveals that the stellar Daniel Day-Lewis will play Abraham Lincoln. Brilliant!

Today Spielberg announced the news himself with Stacey Snider, Co-Chairman and CEO of DreamWorks. The director said, ?Daniel Day-Lewis would have always been counted as one of the greatest of actors, were he from the silent era, the golden age of film or even some time in cinema's distant future. I am grateful and inspired that our paths will finally cross with Lincoln." Snider followed by saying, "Throughout his career, he has been exceptionally selective in his choice of material which makes us feel even more fortunate that he has chosen to join with us for Lincoln." Now that they've snagged Daniel Day-Lewis, apparently they're planning to release the film late in 2012 (likely around awards season).

If you don't recall, the biopic will be adapted from the historian Doris Kearns Goodwin's book Team of Rivals, with Oscar nominated writer Tony Kushner (who wrote Munich for Spielberg) behind the script. The film is said to focus on he political collision of Lincoln and the powerful men of his cabinet on the road to abolition and the end of the Civil War. This is quite a historical time for the United States and this will be the first time such a massive film will focus solely on the life of Abraham Lincoln. Daniel Day-Lewis is inspired casting for the Honest Abe, so I'm hoping this project really does get off the ground next year.

• 5 months later...
Steven Spielberg is a busy man, and while his plans to finally make an Abraham Lincoln biopic were announced late last year, we?ve had little news since. We know that Daniel Day Lewis would play the title role, and that Sally Field will be Mary Todd, but other than that, there has been very little to report. That changes today with the addition of Tommy Lee Jones and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and a big list of other actors who are all in talks now. More details are after the break.

Also in talks are: Hal Holbrook, James Spader, John Hawkes, Tim Blake Nelson, Bruce McGill and Joseph Cross. That is one hell of a cast. But wait, there are possible names to fill out the fringes: David Costabile, Byron Jennings, Dakin Matthews, Boris McGiver, Gloria Reuben, Jeremy Strong, and David Warshofsky.

Lincoln will shoot this fall in Virginia, and has a tentatively scheduled late 2012 release date. Here?s the rest of the press release that went out today, announcing some of the roles to be played by the new additions.

Based on the best-selling book, Team of Rivals, by Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, the screenplay has been written by the Pulitzer Prize winner, Tony Award winner, and Academy Award nominated writer Tony Kushner. It will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Steven Spielberg.

The film will focus on the political collision of Lincoln and the powerful men of his cabinet on the road to abolition and the end of the Civil War.

Oscar winner Tommy Lee Jones will play Thaddeus Stevens, a Republican leader and powerful congressman from Pennsylvania in the U.S. House of Representatives. Stevens was a staunch supporter of abolishing slavery and was critical to writing the legislation that funded the American Civil War.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, known for his roles in ?Inception,? ?(500) Days of Summer,? and next year?s ?The Dark Knight Rises,? will take on the role of Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of President Lincoln and the only one to live past his teenage years.

Other announced cast will take on various supporting roles in the film

http://www.slashfilm.com/steven-spielbergs-lincoln-casts-tommy-lee-jones/#more-103533

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am not even kidding, my eyes well up with tears a bit when I watch the damn TRAILER for this movie. It looks absolutely EPIC In all regards. I have not even seen it yet, and predict my man Daniel Day will win Best Actor for it as well. I cannot wait for it. Truly and sincerely.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to see the movie last Thursday, it was pretty good.

I was talking with someone, and here's the thing. My country [Canada] has hardly ever made a biopic about our Prime Ministers, but when they do, it's usually part of some other thing. Canada seems to like to do fictional tales in Canada's past instead.