Is There An Upscaling 1080p DVD Player That Plays Xvid/avi?

Just called my mom. I bought this player for her. Had to look it up to see if it upscales dvd's which it looks like it does. But I know for a fact it plays Xvids, she uses it all the time to watch Xvids I give her.

This one also has a USB port on front that you can play tv Xvids off of. It does have a limited number of charcters it shows for the titles. So if you were going to watch TV shows I would keep the name simple like

s5e12

Philips-DVP5982

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP5982-1080p-Upscaling-Player/dp/B000N254LU

* 1080p Upscaling, increases the picture resolution

* DivX, plays Mpeg4 video downloads from PC

* Progressive Scan

* Plays DVD, DVD-R/+R, CD, CD-R-RW, MP3/WMA, Jpeg picture CD

* Full size 420 mm chassis

Hi all.

As the title, is there an upscaling DVD player that plays xvid/.avi & divx files?

I am based in the UK so I assume that I am right in saying that it should be Region 2.

Thanks.

Most samsung samsung dvd players should already have these funtionalities

I got a cheap samsung bluRay player that upscales dvd,'s plays bluRays not that I really have many, just Avatar and Alien anthology, and plays xvid's, it's got an usb port too. it's to cheap to be able to stream them from the network port though, only the more expensive ones come with dlna. but plays them fine from usb and disc. but I use my htpc for that anyway.

People still use xvid? The quality of xvid is horrible, especially for HD video. H264 mp4 is the best quality these days, especially for 720p or 1080p video. PS3 and many other modern-day data players can play those files, too.

No one that I know does. The quality is so poor its unwatchable, especially at 1080p.

i use it all the time. I'm not going to download ******** which is only 45 mins at the size of 1.5 gigs.

I've seen an xvid on a 55 inch bravia via a ps3. Looks great to me.

i use it all the time. I'm not going to download ******** which is only 45 mins at the size of 1.5 gigs.

I've seen an xvid of a 55 inch tv via a ps3. Looks great to me.

Bad vision? There's absolutely no way an xvid (which most are encoded at 480p or LESS resolution) looked 'great' on a 55" LCD/Plasma HDTV. They look pitifully terrible on my 23" LCD monitor 1920x1080. Heavily pixellated, massive color banding, lots of artifacts... majorly blurry all around. Only h264 video looks good on my monitor, EVEN for SD 480p content. This is even a bigger issue on TVs which are even larger! It's like watching a standard analog cable channel instead of the HD verison of that channel. The difference is massive.

Bad vision? There's absolutely no way an xvid (which most are encoded at 480p or LESS resolution) looked 'great' on a 55" LCD/Plasma HDTV. They look pitifully terrible on my 23" LCD monitor 1920x1080. Heavily pixellated, massive color banding, lots of artifacts... majorly blurry all around. Only h264 video looks good on my monitor, EVEN for SD 480p content. This is even a bigger issue on TVs which are even larger! It's like watching a standard analog cable channel instead of the HD verison of that channel. The difference is massive.

I watch TONS of ****** Xvids on my 42 inch TV. It looks great. now, yes you go to an HD source and ya you go back to xvid and it will look blurry as ****. But if you never watch the HD , it doesn't really look bad.

I watch TONS of ****** Xvids on my 42 inch TV. It looks great. now, yes you go to an HD source and ya you go back to xvid and it will look blurry as ****. But if you never watch the HD , it doesn't really look bad.

So what's the point of having an HDTV if all you watch on it is SD content in xvid, and avoid ever watching anything in HD just so you can still appreciate SD?

So you just willfully stick your head in the sand and pretend a better source doesn't exist because you're afraid to move away from your XviD security blanket, which kept you warm in the early '00s.

Seriously, complaining about a measly 1.5 GB :blink:

So you just willfully stick your head in the sand and pretend a better source doesn't exist because you're afraid to move away from your XviD security blanket, which kept you warm in the early '00s.

Seriously, complaining about a measly 1.5 GB :blink:

Well I could either spend 5 mins downloading a certain something or 20 mins for the exact same thing. Plus if I have 24 of those somethings I only have to burn 2 dvd's. If I were to download the 1.5 gig versions I would have to burn 8 dvd's or burn 4 dual layer discs. It's not even that. Burning aside, I think SD ones look just fine, assuring they are wide screen.

Personally I have unlimited bandwidth. But my parents are capped at 10 gigs per month on their local DSL service. In that case a 1.5 GB something isn't looking so measly.

Should have a media player that supports USB or SDHC, burning discs is unnecessary these days.

Ya. I have my HTPC networked to my something something. But I just use DVD's as a method of storing them after I'm done with them. I guess I could put them on a 1 TB hard drive. and store that on my shelf.