MoibleMe going free in iOS 4.2?

If MobileMe going free for some iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad owners running iOS 4.2.1 is true, it?s a sign that Apple has decided to really ramp things right up in the smartphone wars, matching some competitors and throwing down the gauntlet to others, with who knows what extra iSurprises yet to come?

MacRumors draws attention to statements within the screen shot that refer to "the maximum number of free accounts" for a particular device, and notices about certain unspecified devices not being "qualified for free MobileMe service", along with messages that a ?paid MobileMe account has expired? and ?the MobileMe terms have changed?.

Other telling messages include: ?this account has been disabled?, ?MobileMe is not available in your country?, ?The Apple ID %@ is missing information for MobileMe setup?, ?This iPad is not qualified for free MobileMe service? and ?The identity of this iPhone could not be validated?, among others.

Source

I think at least a basic subset of Me needs to be free in order to be relevant anymore. I know the google services are far from a perfect match, but the basic functionality is there for free... If Apple recognise Android as a competitor (and boy should they) then they need to offer similar cloud functions. Heck just thought, even MS offer the Live services free...

Maybe there will be some sort of limited free version (obviously not with the 10GB storage, that'd be insane) but still have a premium service with an annual fee? :)

will not happen. Its a premium service and I see no reason why Apple should make it free.

I subscribe to MobileMe, it's a great service for what i need

But... FindmyiPhone could easily be made free, as could a really basic email service. It would make sense to charge a small premium for cross device sync though. The days when i turn on my MBP and it pulls the updates and changes i've made on my iPhone onto it via MobileMe still impresses me

^ Same here. I'm a user of MobileMe too and with iPhone and MBP, the sync is brilliant. I miss it in Blackberry where I just get push emails from MobileMe.

will not happen. Its a premium service and I see no reason why Apple should make it free.

Truly? You don't feel that aspects of such a service are basic features that all other major players offer for free would help sell the product? You may not agree, but you can't see that as a possible reason? Wow!

MobileMe needs to go free ASAP.

It could mean a lot for Apple seeing as Google and Microsoft have already Cloud services available for free.

+1.

In all honesty, I believe MobileMe kills the competition very easily, but its price tag makes everyone flee from it. If they want to win this war, they need to make it free like the competition does it. Though they would need to add ads like Microsoft.

Really?

So competitors like Google, Microsoft and even HTC offering similar services for free isnt reason enough?

A small version of iDisk, all the sync features and the find my phone service needs to go free.

If they don't make it free, they should at least reduce the price. $99/year is quite steep for what you get. At least make it somewhere between $49-79/year.

I quite like it as a premium service.

You wouldn't prefer it for free? Or at least part of it free so others can enjoy some of the features?

Some Apple users are really far into Jobs' reality distortion field. Don't think they'll ever find their way out.

I'd still love a free version next to the paid version. This will attract more users to the service allowing a much better and more open future for the service and its features. You could limit the storage to, lets say, 3GB and make other features a little "smaller". People who love the service will go paid eventually to get the extra service, features, ... and people who can't afford to spend $99/year will be able to enjoy the service offered by Apple for their iPhone and other services.

However, I do understand that Apple can't or won't go the full free route. They have a trial version and, have now recently, allowed iPhone users to enjoy two features for free. I personally think that's a good step in the right direction.

I don't think MobileMe will be any more "free" than it is now with Gallery and Find My iPhone. I guess they're reasoning is those two features are somehow "essential," while being able to have hosted e-mail and push-like syncing are less necessary but nice extras. I think that if MobileMe was going to be a free service, everything would have been made available, rather than just those two.

Told you it wouldn't be free. One of the reasons why Google and Microsoft have a free service is because of the revenue they earn out of advertisements.

Apple only competes with them with iAd on their iOS platform.

• 3 weeks later...

is it possible to use MobileMe in iOS 4.1 in iPhone 3G ??

I think it is yes, but Find my iPhone is not free. The free service is only available to current generation device holders, so iPhone 4, iPod touch 4 and iPad.