Windows Phone 7

Windows Phone 7 ?Genuine Software? check revealed, custom ROMs could be blocked

Hackers are hard at work attempting to port Windows Phone 7 over to other non WP7 HTC devices such as the HD2. However, reports suggest that there could be a ?Genuine Software? check built into Microsoft?s latest mobile OS to prevent the software running on non-official hardware.

WPCentral reports that Microsoft is using private keys (PVK) to identify and tie devices to Windows Phone 7. The operating system checks the device motherboard for its PVKs and verifies the device is a genuine Windows Phone 7 model. WPCentral notes that although the core operating system will remain functional, Windows Live reliant services, such as Xbox LIVE, Marketplace and Zune, will stop working:

?Specifically, some aspect of the OS looks for and then pulls these keys from the device motherboard for verification. If the keys cannot be found, the motherboard must be replaced or serviced.?

Winrumors recently reported on efforts to jailbreak Windows Phone 7. Australian developer Chris Walshie managed to perfect a method to run native un-managed code on a Windows Phone 7 device. The method is the first step in a long road to a full Windows Phone 7 jailbreak. Windows Phone 7 hackers now have the challenge of breaking the protection and bypassing Microsoft?s efforts. These efforts could be a lengthy process as hackers and ROM developers tinker at the new OS and discover its weaknesses.

wp7activation.jpg

Source: winrumors

Seems fair enough, they're selling the OS to OEMs to use, not some pirate who wants to steal it.

Ya, I dunno why anyone would have a problem with this per se as long as you own a WP7 device you shouldn't have an issue unless there's some bug. OEMs should be quite happy with this type of system even though people will be able to update the OS I'm sure these batch of first phones will at some point hit a wall where they can't upgrade to the newest version. Or you might be able to but not get all the new features due to some missing hardware at the least.

This is a pretty important kind of thing, as they have to keep the platform secure. Otherwise it's opening up to Xbox Live exploitation, Zune exploitation (and or music theft) etc. It's good.

Seems fair enough, they're selling the OS to OEMs to use, not some pirate who wants to steal it.

Developing a custom ROM and running it on a device on which it is already licensed to run is not piracy, it is just a violation of the EULA

Developing a custom ROM and running it on a device on which it is already licensed to run is not piracy, it is just a violation of the EULA

In the case of Windows they are stealing the OS the ROM is baked with - so it's piracy, surely?

In the case of Windows they are stealing the OS the ROM is baked with - so it's piracy, surely?

No, because piracy is unlicensed usage of a product. If you are putting the ROM onto a phone licensed to use it, then it isn't piracy. Distributing these ROMs is technically illegal, but using them is not.

No, because piracy is unlicensed usage of a product. If you are putting the ROM onto a phone licensed to use it, then it isn't piracy. Distributing these ROMs is technically illegal, but using them is not.

You just said it though, in order to even make a custom ROM you have to first GET the original image from somewhere, that starting point is what makes it piracy. If you put it on a device that already has WM on it etc is a moot point after you already went through the process of downloading the OS illegally.

You just said it though, in order to even make a custom ROM you have to first GET the original image from somewhere, that starting point is what makes it piracy. If you put it on a device that already has WM on it etc is a moot point after you already went through the process of downloading the OS illegally.

If you download it from an official source... not piracy. Most custom ROMs are made by deconstructing an officially downloaded build or update, or dumping the image from the phone's internal memory neither of which are illegal.

If you download it from an official source... not piracy. Most custom ROMs are made by deconstructing an officially downloaded build or update, or dumping the image from the phone's internal memory neither of which are illegal.

I see what you're saying if we're talking just about WP7 licensed devices - it possibly is licensed, but still breaking an agreement. But specifically I mean devices like the HD2 which aren't licensed but have ROMs available to be run on them. Sorry for the miscommunication.

I see what you're saying if we're talking just about WP7 licensed devices - it possibly is licensed, but still breaking an agreement. But specifically I mean devices like the HD2 which aren't licensed but have ROMs available to be run on them. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Well yes, in those terms I agree it's piracy because it's not licensed to run on them. Knowing software hackers though they will probably eventually find a way around the protection.

This is going a bit off reservation here, but when it comes to doing stuff like installing HTC Sense on a (non-HTC) device, then you are into the realm of software piracy, as an end user. Likewise, if (and I stress if, because I don't see this happening for a long time), WP7 does get breached, installing stuff like LG's DNLA apps on Samsungs would again amount to software piracy.

This is going a bit off reservation here, but when it comes to doing stuff like installing HTC Sense on a (non-HTC) device, then you are into the realm of software piracy, as an end user. Likewise, if (and I stress if, because I don't see this happening for a long time), WP7 does get breached, installing stuff like LG's DNLA apps on Samsungs would again amount to software piracy.

I admit I wouldn't mind having LG's DNLA apps on my Dell Venue Pro, when/if I get it finally that is. :(