60% of businesses could dump Windows for Chrome OS

On another note: ChromeOS will be born dead and I can't wait to see it being buried.

You don't care, yet you can't wait to see it being buried? Apparently you do care.

ChromeOS - No

Chrome Web Browser - Yes

Android - yes

They have a online platform, why not use it?

Getting people to install google chromeOS to use their online services doesn't make sense??

Make a web accessable desktop would be a better idea. Make files able to drag and drop between their existing workstations. Only issue I have with these cloud services is the end user has no bandwidth. :(

This "cloud" concept is a disaster waiting to happen and I want no part of it.

For starters, I don't want or need to store ANY personal information I could very well keep to myself on someone else's server(s), then having to ask them to borrow it back. That's like keeping your car in someone else's garage! Plus, aside from the privacy concerns, what if the servers go down? I'm sure there's hard, physical backups somewhere (avoiding the privacy issues with that)--but who will have the time and money to train people to swap them in and out, all over the world? Seems like it would save more money to just keep things the way they are (given a few exceptions, of course).

(Y)

I manage an environment of 65000 desktops computers. The original statement is absolute nonsense. Businesses have billions of dollars invested in software they use to do their business. They will run the operating system on which this software is developed and supported. To state otherwise is at best FUD and at worst ignorance of how businesses do IT.

LMAO. I'd be amazed if more than 5% of businesses dumped Windows for Chrome.

Erm, MS-DOS was. DOS (and its variations besides MS-DOS) wasn't. It was a heavy modification of a previous DOS release, but it was still Microsoft's.

You are completely incorrect, the fact that they paid for the rights did not suddenly make it something that they thought of, or created!! DOS in all forms was basic code and even when they finally stopped using it, it was still pretty basic stuff!

Twenty-two-year-old Tim Paterson was hired in June 1978 by SCP's owner Rod Brock. In 1980, Paterson wrote the 86-DOS operating system, also known as QDOS (for Quick and Dirty Operating System) over a four-month period. Microsoft, seeking an operating system for the IBM Personal Computer, bought the rights to market the system to other manufacturers for $25,000 in December 1980. Prior to the PC launch, Microsoft bought the full rights to the system for an additional $50,000. Realizing that Microsoft was making significant profit on the DOS operating system, SCP attempted to sell the operating system along with a stand-alone inexpensive CPU (without any other circuitry), which was allowed as per the marketing agreement with Microsoft in order to allow SCP to continue selling the operating system with their 8086-based computers; this operating system was marketed as "Seattle DOS", and the CPU was included in the box. SCP later accused Microsoft of defrauding it by not revealing that IBM was a customer (although this appears to have been Microsoft's right under the marketing agreement), and Microsoft settled the claim in 1986 by paying an additional $1 million.

Still peanuts in comparison to what they made from it!

If you had to guess big picture, what would it be? Race to the CLOUD? MS is doing it businesses > users, and Goog is doing it users > businesses. They both know the inevitable future of cloud in some form. I am in the tech field, and no matter which side of the fence your on there is no winning for us. MS is building the "framework" to make cloud services work within existing networks, but it will take time. Google knows this, and is betting that every person will already have a Droid phone/tablet, at a price point that will change companies from the inside out. Both sides will have to make hardware/software cheaper and more useful in more places, while being secure. There is no reason why access cannot be restricted in future cloud programming as it is now, even with onsite hardware. Even if none of the us IT folks want that to happen. So if I had to guess, I would say that Chrome needs to scale in phones and tablets of tomorrow because of size and power. So if building chrome into the OS gets any overall advantages in those devices, it would be worth it to Google. Then we can see who wins more antitrust cases once Win8 gets here.

Any corporation under SOX, HIPAA, FERPA, etc will not use this...they will go the way of VMware with dumb terminals logging into an OS they control 100%. Active Directory GPOs make certain managers wet their pants with the level of control they can enact.

Any corporation under SOX, HIPAA, FERPA, etc will not use this...they will go the way of VMware with dumb terminals logging into an OS they control 100%. Active Directory GPOs make certain managers wet their pants with the level of control they can enact.

AD is software, like I was saying. CLOUD computing will be just like dumb terminals at some point. It's only being limited by bandwidth as it is. All MS would have to do is stretch AD further, and set prices low. So the only way to "AD" the internet, is CLOUD.

You don't care, yet you can't wait to see it being buried? Apparently you do care.

Glassed Silver means that they think the product is useless, they don't care about the product in and of itself, but they can't wait till the product crashes and burns.

Neither can I :laugh:

ChromeOS would first have to show itself on netbooks which was it's original target anyways before it can try for anything more. Of course, I think it'll end up just as bad as Google TV. No thanks guys, you should just stick to search and the 2 or 3 web services that people actually use still.

ChromeOS would first have to show itself on netbooks which was it's original target anyways before it can try for anything more.

See, that's the problem right there. Personally I don't think netbooks have a bright future ahead of them... My guess is that you'll see them dying off pretty soon, especially in Europe, Australia and North America and be replaced by iPad-like devices. At which point Google won't have a market for Chrome OS anymore.

I also have no idea why I would want a netbook with Chrome OS instead of Windows or Ubuntu even. I can't think of a single reason really.

Glassed Silver means that they think the product is useless, they don't care about the product in and of itself, but they can't wait till the product crashes and burns.

Right on. (Y)

ANY attention this pile of sh** gets is attention that should go towards real OS's.

Even all those "just rebranding a distro and adding one app by default on install"-"distro"s of Linux deserve better.

Heck... I'm RARELY against something entirely, but Chrome OS just makes me laugh.

Why doesn't Google develop something decent? They have the infrastructures (for online services connecting), money, power and brand power to ship a rock solid and proper OS.

Why wasting the time on this? C'mon!

Glassed Silver:win

Which means he cares at some level, just not in a positive manner. ;)

"Could", but wont ... Most businesses isn't ready for this. The need for client OS is still quite high, like with 3D tools etc.

Yeah, that's the way I see it. Of course, in 5 years time things might be completely different.

Wasn't there some article recently about how many of these businesses still run XP?

I know I know, in the interim until everyone switches to Chrome, they'll be switching en masse to Ubuntu :rolleyes:

There is no way. The same reason why they have not switched to linux. Group policy. I know i will not switch my network at work to any other os unless it has an exact replacement. Yes other os's might be more secure but group policy allows me to do a ton of stuff without going to each computer.

Ps i do use linux,other os's and open source software for certain things.

I'm gonna go ahead and say bull-****ing-****. Absolutely no chance.

No doubt! There are so many apps, including web apps that just refuse to use anything other than Windows and IE.

I had a training program that only required flash and a browser ... refused to run in firefox or chrome.

Then there are countless corporate financial programs and what not that will never run on anything but Windows.

I aint seein' it! no freaking way this will happen.

He said that 60% "could" switch to a browser-based OS. That is to say that they don't have essential legacy non-web applications that would represent a "deal-killer".

Could and will are entirely two different beasts.

He said that 60% "could" switch to a browser-based OS. That is to say that they don't have essential legacy non-web applications that would represent a "deal-killer".

Could and will are entirely two different beasts.

So what's the point of the article then other than shameless click traffic?

I COULD get hit by an asteriod but will I??? :rolleyes:

Run now. Your chances of takin' an asteroid on the chin are better than Chrome OS taking 60% of business share :)

I think his point was that there aren't as many technical objections to moving to a browser-based OS as one might think. That majority of business work can be done through web-apps.

That being said, there are other objections that go above and beyond those technical concerns.

Linux is free too. That hasn't driven people to it.

Same thing with ChromeOS, it'll be free, but the hardware it'll be tied to won't be.

Free + Google branding > Linux.

As a sys admin I want to know of every update, what it does and have the ability to block them. I don't like google either and wouldn't trust any of my info to them annd especially not the info of the council I work for.

It is not for businesses. At least, the first release is not. You can keep your job for now. :)

I don't think locking yourself into a single occupation is a good option in this day and age. Always have one leg out of your current job, so when it's time to run, all you have to do is take your other leg out.

Win 7 + SSD < 20 seconds boot now. not to mention, Windows 8 would look to reduce this time and integrate cloud in windows. starting with syncing %appdata% and my documents folder. essentially killing 2 main advantages Chrome OS can have.

True. Microsoft can be a little slow to catch on a times but when they do catch on they usually produce a winner.