Any Nikon D3000 users?

i need some advice on this one,

I have never owned a DSLR before but always wanted one, money has been an issue always, so i've been stuck with a high zoom point and shoot that i've been doing miracles with.

anyway, somebody is selling me a brand new in a box Nikon D3000 with a VR lens for $272 which i find it a deal since this one runs for over $400, the thing is, i just found out that it doesn't have Live View, and that's a big let down for me, you pro guys might find this a non issue but remember, i come from a point and shoot LOL

anyway, was this a lack of live view a deal breaker for you guys? when you got the camera did it take you long to get used to this? what do you think of the price?

also, i do a lot of HDR with my point and shoot, would this be a good camera for that?

i need some advice on this one,

I have never owned a DSLR before but always wanted one, money has been an issue always, so i've been stuck with a high zoom point and shoot that i've been doing miracles with.

anyway, somebody is selling me a brand new in a box Nikon D3000 with a VR lens for $272 which i find it a deal since this one runs for over $400, the thing is, i just found out that it doesn't have Live View, and that's a big let down for me, you pro guys might find this a non issue but remember, i come from a point and shoot LOL

anyway, was this a lack of live view a deal breaker for you guys? when you got the camera did it take you long to get used to this? what do you think of the price?

also, i do a lot of HDR with my point and shoot, would this be a good camera for that?

... I've never used Live View lol...

even though you're coming from a point and shoot you wouldn't use live view on an DSLR anyway... its slow... and takes up too much battery, my D90 has live view... but it shoots video. Other than shooting the occasionally clip, I don't need it at all, and would be fine if it wasn't there... Did not take me anytime at ALL to get used to the viewfinder, it felt natural for me. I think thats a great price (especially because it comes with a vr lens), try to see if they have a receipt, for warranty purposes... what's the lens? 18-55? If it is then coming from a high zoom P&S you may find you do not have as much reach as you're used to.... which is where you get into the cost of DSLRs... other lenses hah ! good luck :)

the dynamic range of the D3000, will probably be better than the dynamic range of your P&S so, yeah it would be a better camera for HDR than the one you have already...

Ew... Live View is NOT what you want to be using. Use the viewfinder in almost every case, the only reason my SLR switches to live view is for video recording, which I haven't used properly yet. I don't miss it, at all.

Live view is a non issue mate. 99% of the times you'll end up shooting through the viewfinder. Even in the most expensive cameras focusing on live view is not as fast as using the viewfinder. (though those new models from sony, with transparent mirror is supposed to be a lo better I read.. though on the $500+ mark ). For that price, it's a steal. Is it really brand new? Eg. check how many shutter actuations the body has.

I have a D3000 and love it. My previous point-and-shoot camera only had live view (no viewfinder), and when I got my D3000 it took me all of two minutes to get used to the viewfinder.

The only gripe I have with the D3000 is that it isn't fully compatible with all of Nikon's lenses (autofocus only works on AF-S and AF-I lenses - it doesn't work on the cheaper AF lenses). Otherwise, it is a very nice camera for a beginner DSLR.

Lens are compatible, they just won't autofocus, but once you get the hang of manually focusing, it's a blast!

Other than macro work, I never really use manual focus... I should (for the 'fun'... i guess lol)... well I have two manual focus lenses, but I rarely use them (50 1.4 and 105 2.5)

Good to know guys, i've been playing with some display models at the stores and actually i think i'd like to use manual focus more, doing some research on lenses, i see they don't come cheap but seems like a lot of fun.

warranty shouldnt be an issue, a friend of mine works in the electronics department at a retail store and spotted the camera in the electronics cage, it seems that the system has been marking it down being now a "discontinued" model, so he's holding it for me, and will have receipt and everything, i saw the box and was able to see the camera, lens and cds and manuals, because i wanted to make sure it wasnt a display model, but is brand new, im sure the lens is a 18-55, but will double check.

also noticed that this one doesn't do video which is not a problem, i already have an HD Camcorder, was a bit worried about using viewfinder only being used to liveview and my wife has been trying to get into the photography also, didn't want her to feel overwhelmed to use viewfinder only, but i see is not a big issue.

now any recommendation of a compatible multi purpose lens? wide angle with decent zoom?

thanks guys

When I bought my DSLR in July 2009 I wanted a DSLR with Live-View much like yourself. I ended up getting a second lens instead of Live View and I really haven't regretted the decision, yes, there are some situations where it would help but I'd say they are the minority of situations.

Some Sony DSLRs have been able to do Phase Detection AF while in live-view by using a second (smaller and for live view only) sensor mounted in the viewfinder area, the disadvantage is a slightly smaller viewfinder. The new Sony DSLTs now use a Translucent mirror to give part of the light to the AF array and the majority to the sensor so they can do Phase Detect AF at all times (even between shots or during video) the disadvantage of it is the need for an electronic viewfinder (most reviewers claim that it is really really good though). All other implementations of Live-View use Contrast Detect AF.

I'm digressing a bit form your original point though. At $272 with a VR lens the D3000 is very well priced and I think will be an excellent camera to get you into photography. As other have said, the 18-55 lens does not have that much zooming range but is a good starting point nonetheless. Soon enough, you'll find what kind of photography you want to do and get the corresponding lenses.

Live view.... lol. Don't even bother with it. Once you start using the view finder you'll wonder why you didn't get a DSLR sooner.

Lens are compatible, they just won't autofocus, but once you get the hang of manually focusing, it's a blast!

Until you need to take photos of things other than flowers in your backyard (not saying that is all you do, Draconian, just implying that MF only gets photographers so far).

I'll be a D3000 user in 2 and a half weeks. Can't wait. Don't worry about live view, I was concerned but now I use the viewfinder on my Olympus sp510uz, rather than the live view.

HDR will be grand, if its anything like the D60, which is pretty much the same camera as the D3000.

Live view.... lol. Don't even bother with it. Once you start using the view finder you'll wonder why you didn't get a DSLR sooner.

Until you need to take photos of things other than flowers in your backyard (not saying that is all you do, Draconian, just implying that MF only gets photographers so far).

:blush: Yeah? Well, yo momma is so old you should call her mummy :alien: /tacky /corny

Seriously though, You do make a good point though crazy, it all depends on what type of photography your interested in. If Still photos, like portraits, macros, etc. Then MF is ok, but For moving objects MF is a bitch.

:blush: Yeah? Well, yo momma is so old you should call her mummy :alien: /tacky /corny

lol

Seriously though, You do make a good point though crazy, it all depends on what type of photography your interested in. If Still photos, like portraits, macros, etc. Then MF is ok, but For moving objects MF is a bitch.

I've found most things in life that are interesting move in one way or another. But then again it depends on what you find interesting :p

I just ordered a Nikon d90 with a 18-105mm lens for $939 or $689 after discount...

I was also thinking of getting the Nikkor 55-300mm VR but havent done it yet... I am not sure If I will need the extra zoom more than the 35mm f1.8 af-s prime lens for portraits and low light photo-shooting....

lol

I've found most things in life that are interesting move in one way or another. But then again it depends on what you find interesting :p

Grrrrrrrrrrrr you did it again? It's like a campaign against me... So you know what? Yo momma so old she doesn't know about neowin :shifty:

Still, a very valid point :p

well, I'm oficially a new D3000 owner, total was $293 after taxes, couldn't let that deal pass, will be playing with it all day tomorrow.

soon will be "investing" in new lenses

well, I'm oficially a new D3000 owner, total was $293 after taxes, couldn't let that deal pass, will be playing with it all day tomorrow.

mwuahahaha welcome to teh world of dSLRS, as soon as you buy your next lens, you'll find yourself looking for more MOAR MOAR! then comes flashes (crazzy :p ), bouncers, remote triggers, tripods, dust cleaners, batteries, memory cards, camera bags :p etc.

Congradz and be sure to post in the monthly thread!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr you did it again? It's like a campaign against me... So you know what? Yo momma so old she doesn't know about neowin :shifty:

actually....

j/p haha

although she might know it as "that tech forum my son gets help on and sometimes refers to." hahaha

i've been playing with it for a bit today and it's awesome :)

now i was reading about this eye-fi memory cards, anybody uses them? they say they upload your pics automatically and do geotagging? that's pretty cool.

how you got it so cheap???

it was the last one at a particular retail store here and for some reason it was already marked down at 340, but was schedule for another mark down and some friends i have in that store told me about it and held it for me.

it was the last one at a particular retail store here and for some reason it was already marked down at 340, but was schedule for another mark down and some friends i have in that store told me about it and held it for me.

It's nice to have friends in the right places :)