• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Any Nikon D3000 users?

Draconian Guppy    13,038

Yeah I want to do some work with night shots. I go out and take pictures of accidents, so it would be amazing at day, and I want it to be good at the picture being decent size and not being grainy. I've been told the D3000 SUCKS at night.

Plus some extra christmas money i'm putting 90 cash towards it so that brings it down.

Plus if best buy lets me use the 10% off coupon, although its on sale so they might not.

After I get paid next week I want to go get a bag, and UV filter.

dpreview and dcresource for proper reviews on teh d3100 and d3000

Both are decent cameras and up to ISO1600 you'd need a 100X zoom a monitor to see grain. HOWEVER, ISO 1600+ on the D3100 is pretty good compared to the D3100 ( getting this from the dpreview.com site ).

Dane    177

dpreview and dcresource for proper reviews on teh d3100 and d3000

Both are decent cameras and up to ISO1600 you'd need a 100X zoom a monitor to see grain. HOWEVER, ISO 1600+ on the D3100 is pretty good compared to the D3100 ( getting this from the dpreview.com site ).

Some night shots or low light if you look at the high res versions on the d3000 look grainy to me. On flickr.

I've also checked pictures on flickr from both cameras since sept. D3100, looked more vivid in daytime.

Anyways I bought it. Cost me 545$ total.

Woot, then hurry up and post pictures already :p

Dane    177

Woot, then hurry up and post pictures already :p

I will. I don't have time to do too much today. I have to get to bed early and then get up to work all day tomorrow. I want to do some night shots by the highway. I dont have a tripod yet. Uv filter and bag is next week.

teh floor is a perfect substitute for a tripod :p

Dane    177

teh floor is a perfect substitute for a tripod :p

On an overpass?

Touch? :p

Simon_    0

do you guys shoot more in RAW format or JPEG?

JPEG is fine if you do not have the time or inclination to post-process. If you are able to, then definitely shoot RAW. These days I see no reason to shoot jpeg when Adobe Lightroom makes it so easy to import and make simple adjustments to get the image better than you could have got by just shooting jpeg and leaving it.

Simon_    0

I am torn between the D3000 and the D3100. A store has the 3100 for me on hold to go get soon. It's a bit more, but its only a $105 difference.

Although. The D3100 is $599, they have a D3000 sitting there ina bundle for $599 with an extra lense I think non VR 55-200.

I want to take night time shots, and long exposure, and I know the sensor is better in the 3100. I am just torn.

3100 alone is $599

3000 by itself is $499.

UGH!

Although I believe the picture quality is better on the 3100 and I can pick up a VR or non VR 55-200 cheaper on amazon maybe.

Definitely the D3100 if you are able to. Sensor is much more modern and a lot better at night shooting (CMOS rather than CCD ).

Another great option is try and find the Nikon D5000 in stock somewhere , although you'll have to be quick as the only stock you'll find is end-of-life stuff as it was very recently discontinued (thus very cheap, even though I think it was cheaper than the D3100 to begin with anyway).

Nikon kind of shot themselves in the foot with that one. It is for all intents and purposes a D90 but with a lower res vari-angle screen but without the 2nd screen on the top. Same sensor, same processing engine, the works. My better half shoots the D5000 and it is an incredible camera, really is a d90 for half the price.

CrossCheck    325

The Nikon D3000 is probably the best entry-level dslr on the market. My wife and i have one and love it. i like the fact that the lenses use a bayonet connector and is designed to break the bayonet connector ($14-$20 U.S. for a new one from nikon) if dropped rather than the lens.

for the price you can get it i wouldn't hesitate on that deal.2

Snakehn    5

yesterday they had a table setup for clearance items at the store i got the camera from, (i work at a kiosk inside the store, but not for the store)

and i saw a guy grabbing another D3000 like mine, i went to talk to the guy to see how much he got it for, and the camera was marked down to $190...

Yes, the same Nikon D3000 with the 18-55mm lens and everything LOL, at first i was kinda mad i paid more for it just about a month ago, but i got over it as i still love the camera and i think i paid a good price for it.

anyway, just wanted to share that.

TAZMINATOR    12,430

yesterday they had a table setup for clearance items at the store i got the camera from, (i work at a kiosk inside the store, but not for the store)

and i saw a guy grabbing another D3000 like mine, i went to talk to the guy to see how much he got it for, and the camera was marked down to $190...

Yes, the same Nikon D3000 with the 18-55mm lens and everything LOL, at first i was kinda mad i paid more for it just about a month ago, but i got over it as i still love the camera and i think i paid a good price for it.

anyway, just wanted to share that.

I know the feeling. The reason that they had the camera markdown is either that the camera has been on the shelf for so long or it might be an 'open item' which previous buyer was returning the camera back to the store for a reason.

I am planning to get another camera someday soon. Not sure which camera yet.