2018 (Hosts: Russia) /2022 (Hosts: Qatar) World Cup Thread

really, ****ing qatar over the states? fifa is stupid. you don't want the game to grow in one of the most powerful/rich countries in the world when it has been doing so well lately?

o really, Qatar is not rich enough for you?

Well done BBC and The Sunday Times, why is it the British media always have to f*ck things up.

Pete

Nothing to do with FIFA then eh?

The fact they've been called corrupt every day of the year for years and done sod all about it doesn't matter? ?Doesn't matter we aren't allowed to know who voted for who? And FIFA aren't even remotely interested in what, you know listen to the people who run and play game have to say..?

Sure we'll put the blame on BBC and The Sunday Times, boohoo for morals and principles!

I read that something like 9 of the 13 stadiums in Qatar have yet to be built? That's insane. And they are promising A/C in every stadium to combat the 120F heat during the summer. Brilliant waste of resources.

2018 VOTING

First round: England 2 votes (eliminated), Netherlands-Belgium 4; Spain-Portugal 7; Russia 9 (no absolute majority)

Second round: Netherlands-Belgium 2; Spain-Portugal 7; Russia 13 (Russia obtain absolute majority)

I read that something like 9 of the 13 stadiums in Qatar have yet to be built? That's insane. And they are promising A/C in every stadium to combat the 120F heat during the summer. Brilliant waste of resources.

Well Poland and Ukraine are hosting Euro 2012 and some of the stadiums are still being renovated or built, expecting to come into service around mid 2011. So as long as the countries pull their fingers out they can build them.

Another interesting thing will be the fans and alcohol, isn't Qatar tough on alcohol? So they'll have to do some beer venues for the fans. Then they'll have to deal with those fans who will be out in public with drink and drunk!

***edit**

Wow 2 votes for England? I'd love to know who gave us the other vote!

Well Poland and ?Ukraine are hosting Euro 2012 and some of the stadiums are still being renovated or built, expecting to come into service around mid 2011. ? So as long as the countries pull their fingers out they can build them.?

Another interesting thing will be the fans and alcohol, isn't Qatar tough on alcohol? ?So they'll have to do some beer venues for the fans. ?Then they'll have to deal with those fans who will be out in public with drink and drunk!

***edit**

They don't have to do anything. If they want a sober world cup, then power to them!

Frankly, I'm somewhat glad that we didn't get it, because we don't have the money to host. It would cost billions, and frankly I'd rather we spent that on getting our shoddy finances in order. On top of that, the UK doesn't really have anything to benefit from the World cup, whereas it could be just what Russia needs to push them to develop a whole load of new infrastructure. That's what the Olympics will (hopefully) do for the UK.

... And then of course there's the Panorama program, and the riots in Birmingham last night, and we pretty much didn't have a chance. How could anyone NOT have expected this?

Ha, I thought the video that I found included Dr. Who music / sound effects (being from the UK and all). I realized something was up when the video ended but the audio didn't and I realized that I had re-loaded my spacecast.com tab and it had auto-started the episode I had been watching yesterday.

I will say that the football hooligan video works very well with "Exterminate, Exterminate, Exterminate..." in the background.

I'm so excited! :woot: The Olympics in Sochi 2014 and now the World Cut 2018! WOOT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSh93fl8bQQ

Damn, these players spend so much time oversees, they could work on their pronunciation lol

I also hope that Russia can produce on all those promises, but time will tell. :yes:

I sure hope too that it will be nothing like the world has ever seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlDOxc30V6M&feature=related

Any sort of construction delays and Russia will be up to it up to their necks.

As for Qatar, it's probably about time there was a world cup held in the middle east, but it will be interesting to see how the "Fan zones" for alcohol consumption and the solar cooled stadiums they have proposed actually work out in reality. If players wind up playing in 40c heat there will be problems. Then again they have so much money they could just build the stadiums out of money and that would be way more impressive. :p

Oh damn Israel MUST quality for Qatar '22, would be mighty awkward for Qatar.

To be honest I'm not sure why would any sane person would pick Qatar over... any other nation in the world, hell I can even understand Russia, being all powerful, rich and has the skills to prove its worth.

But Qatar ? A bloody joke :p

o really, Qatar is not rich enough for you?

what's great is you give a **** soccer nation like qatar an automatic birth into the tourney all the meanwhile a country that is better and more deserving won't get into the cup (Y)

the USA bid was unreal, all done properly and showed everything perfectly laid out including the planning, stadiums and facilities, most of which are already there... the dumb ****s got sold on some island stadium idea. who cares that the temp is going to be around 100 plus in the region, only has one major city and and is in an area that couldn't ask for more political unrest.

the biggest difference about the states and qatars bid is that the states "star power" at the bid actually was involved in the process and wasn't bribed into doing or endorssing the bid unlike what qatar did with soccer celebs like zizou.

oh yeah, let's not mention the obvious collusion between spain/portugal and qatar to get the bid to go their way...

Nothing to do with FIFA then eh?

The fact they've been called corrupt every day of the year for years and done sod all about it doesn't matter? Doesn't matter we aren't allowed to know who voted for who? And FIFA aren't even remotely interested in what, you know listen to the people who run and play game have to say..

Sure we'll put the blame on BBC and The Sunday Times, boohoo for morals and principles!

Of course they're corrupt, but why did the media have to say it out loud a couple of days before the vote - a bit stupid don't you think? If they though tthat it wouldn't sway the votes then they've got sh*t for brains.

It's like someone going for a job, publicly slagging the company off 2 days before the interview, then being shocked when he didn't get the job!!!

Pete

I think it was an African guy who was featured in Pan, although the only reason he voted for us was because of a favour in the past.

The bid team were trying the make friends/allies, however the FA, Prem League, Media have been making enemies with FIFA.

Its a political game, so play the game, only try and breakup the game once you've stopped playing. :rofl:

Anyway, I'm not sure how much corruption paid a part for Russia's win. Weren't they the favourites two years ago?

I don't even understand South Africa but it even hosted the last one at all. What about the fact that we were wrong about India not being able to host the 2010 commonwealth games but it did amazingly well.

Oh damn Israel MUST quality for Qatar '22, would be mighty awkward for Qatar.

To be honest I'm not sure why would any sane person would pick Qatar over... any other nation in the world, hell I can even understand Russia, being all powerful, rich and has the skills to prove its worth.

But Qatar ? A bloody joke :p

they are quite rich, and besides i think they said that after the games they will give stadiums to other hosting countries who cant quite afford it :D

what's great is you give a **** soccer nation like qatar an automatic birth into the tourney all the meanwhile a country that is better and more deserving won't get into the cup (Y)

the USA bid was unreal, all done properly and showed everything perfectly laid out including the planning, stadiums and facilities, most of which are already there... the dumb ****s got sold on some island stadium idea. who cares that the temp is going to be around 100 plus in the region, only has one major city and and is in an area that couldn't ask for more political unrest.

the biggest difference about the states and qatars bid is that the states "star power" at the bid actually was involved in the process and wasn't bribed into doing or endorssing the bid unlike what qatar did with soccer celebs like zizou.

oh yeah, let's not mention the obvious collusion between spain/portugal and qatar to get the bid to go their way...

The US bid could not have won under any circumstances - and no, it has nothing to do with WikiLeaks, so you can forget injecting *them* into the thread.

Those that have hosted before (and the US did in 1994) are under an automatic disadvantage under the FIFA bid-acceptance structure (the same actually SHOULD be true under the IOC bid-acceptance structure, but is not).

The other issue (and this is pretty much unique to FIFA) is that there is a preference that the *capital* of the host nation host the last sixteen matches (knockout round, etc.). While RFK Stadium didn't make a bad host in 1994 (and FedEx Field would be much better due to a much larger capacity), other major cities in the US (especially the California cities with major Hispanic populations, such as Los Angeles and San Diego) would protest an East Coast-centered (let alone Washington, DC-centered) FIFA bid - the surprise is that we won the 1994 bid despite it!

Lastly, Russia is the *only* nation among the majors to have hosted an Olympics but not a World Cup, and no Mideast nation (despite the longtime soccer insanity of the Mideastern nations) has ever hosted the World Cup.

Despite our losing, the Russians and Middle East are due their turn in the spotlight.

Its a good thing we didnt win it.

On a side note i just won $500 because i had $50 on Qatar.

I suppose. I've read a few negative things about hosting the World Cup which may not be as economically stimulating as some sound it out to be.

But still, it'd be fun if it were here. :p

And gratz, lol. I should learn to use those betting sites.

Lastly, Russia is the *only* nation among the majors to have hosted an Olympics but not a World Cup, and no Mideast nation (despite the longtime soccer insanity of the Mideastern nations) has ever hosted the World Cup.

Despite our losing, the Russians and Middle East are due their turn in the spotlight.

Err what about Australia's 2022 bid for the world cup? We have hosted two Olympic games (And one of the best modern olympics in 2000 at that) whilst never hosting a world cup either.

Like the US, Australia also has most of the infrastructure in place.

Meanwhile Qatar has one Airport which couldn't even cope with the AFC, no public transport, extremely tough laws in regards to drinking and those sort of activities amongst others, barely any of the stadiums. They are proposing 12 stadiums with carbon neutral air conditioning for the entire stadium. Then there was the leaked FIFA document claiming Qatar as a high risk host and yet even despite all that they still get the nod.

We also have the IOC investigating FIFA for corruption now as well. It's been good reading all of the English and the US media absolutely ripping into FIFA.