"Permission denied" error trying to view C:\users\ files in KNOPPIX

My windows 7 laptop won't start up anywhere past the windows logo so I'm trying to backup my files in C:\Users\Rainz3d\* to an external hard-drive using a KNOPPPIX disc. I boot up KNOPPIX fine, and can get into C:\Users, but I can't open the Rainz3d directory. It keeps saying "permission denied".

I tried right-clicking the folder and changing the permissions in properties, but it says "operation denied" and reverts. Is there a way around this?

I'm using the most up-to-date KNOPPIX disc, but I've never used KNOPPIX before in my life. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply, I tried entering that into LXTerminal but it just says 'cp: cannot stat `C:UsersRainz3d*': No such file or directory'. The path of the users folder in file manager is shown as '/media/sda2/Users'.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

This error could be because I'm stupid.

sudo cp -r File/Path/And/Folder/YouWant* /sda2/folder/where/you/want/to/copy/that/stuff/to

That should work fine, just change the variables to suit and launch it in lxterminal.

Please remember that "su" or "sudo" gives you root access to the linux kernel and allows you to do anything you please.

Ok, I've tried a few different commands in the terminal but it keeps saying that it can't find that directory. I attatched a screenshot of what I've tried. I'm trying to copy from the 231gb volume onto the external hard-drive named 'leo'. Am I missing something in the syntax?

8y6op1.png

EDIT: I also tried " sudo cp -r /media/sda2/Users/Rainz3d/Desktop /media/sdb1/backups* " (without the first asterisk) and that made the terminal just turn into a blinking cursor. It made a folder where I told it to on the external drive, which is exciting. I tried to open the newly created folder this made on the external hard-drive and is says I don't have permission on there either. Also, the file size is very small on the external hard-drive and the source.

It seems something's happening in the background, and my fan's going full blast. Hopefully it's working. I'll wait for everything to stop humming and then check if it worked using my other computer.

That's generally an indication it's working - leave it for awhile and make yourself a coffee :)

Awesome! The remaining space on the external HDD is decreasing. I'm so pleased. Hopefully It'll be openable on my other laptop afterwards. I'll let you know how it goes once it finishes. :)

This is embarrassing. I've got a very simple dilemma. I closed the screen and it came up with a locked screensaver when I opened it again. I didn't know the password so I went into ADRIANE and changed the password using 'passwd root'.

Now how do I get back to my desktop? I tried ctrl-shift-f7 and a lot of similar combinations, but I'm still stuck in ADRIANE. ctrl-alt-f11 just gives me a cursor on a black screen. I want to get back to my x session desktop to check the log after the transfer completes. It's still copying over at the moment because theres about 70gb of data to transfer. Typing this from my phone.

You are a legend. It all worked with flying colours, thank you so much for your help and for taking the time. I would have been distraught if all my important data was lost. You're awesome. Thank you man! :cool: :cool: :cool: