iPod Touch 4G Space Problem

Hi, I have just bought an 8GB (I know its not much but its all I could afford) iPod Touch 4G and so far am loving it. I have a question regarding the space available on it tho. It says it is 8GB but iTunes shows it as 6.50GB Capacity. I have 0.71GB of music, 0.01GB apps and a whopping 1.87GB of OTHER. which leaves me 4GB free. What is the 1.87GB of OTHER? Is it the OS? And why does iTunes say I only have a starting point of 6.50GB. Its probably a stupid question and Im a bit tired to do my maths but it does not seem to add up. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

The 8GB model have 6,5-6,8GB capacity, that's normal. The "Other" is your Emails, Safari cache, (jailbreak programs and things if you jailbroke it), etc. Try to empty safari cache, or delete some email.

Ah I see. Its not jailbroken but I do have a fair few emails on there. Ill do as you say and see if I gain a bit of space. Thanks

Ive just backed up all my apps and restored my device. I reinstalled all my apps and now iTunes shows : Audio 0.71GB - Apps 1.61GB - Other 0.20GB and 4GB Free. Looks like Ill have to keep an eye on the "Other". Thanks for the advice smile.gif