HTC Desire and Android 2.3

So... you guys think Android 2.3 will be available as regular download/upgrade for HTC Desire? (not the custom built-ones)

And any indication when this will be, since 2.2 was relatively quick available...

It's possible since the Desire was released less than a year ago.

However, it probably won't be a priority because HTC will want to focus on developing Sense with 2.3 for its newer devices (Desire HD, Desire Z and new phones).

On the other hand, perhaps it won't take long to port since it's a relatively minor release (2.2 -> 2.3 rather than 1.5 -> 2.1 as with the Hero).

There will be custom ROMs coming out in the near future with it undoubtedly. Official support however I don't know. HTC have a habit of dropping support for handset OS upgrades pretty quickly, and even if they do it could be quite a long time.

The advantage we Desire owners have though is that the Desire HD and Desire Z both run versions of Android that can be back-ported to the original desire, and they WILL get the upgrade since they're very new :).

Seeing as the Desire is still a very popular phone, and seeing as it's not that old I believe HTC will release an update for it, however I believe it will be behind a couple of other phones, so it may be a good few months yet before we see it in any official capacity.

Isn't the HTC Desire a branded Nexus One? If it is, then no matter what HTC does, I'm pretty sure the awesome people at XDA will find a way to import the ROMs over. :)

Officially? Don't get your hopes up. Once HTC releases new phones, they all but drop support for their previous devices. It's a miracle they even released a 2.2 update.

Unofficially? There already is one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=863884 It's extremely rough right now. Almost nothing works and it's slow as molasses (unusable), but it's a start :)

I would expect one to come available shortly. There is large user base and more importantly the there is a large user base with unlocked phones. So there is no carrier testing and approval so the process should be quick given that it is a minor release.

But as stated above there are newer HTC devices that are more likely to receive the update first.

Officially? Don't get your hopes up. Once HTC releases new phones, they all but drop support for their previous devices. It's a miracle they even released a 2.2 update.

Unofficially? There already is one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=863884 It's extremely rough right now. Almost nothing works and it's slow as molasses (unusable), but it's a start :)

AdamG needs to be crowned king. Can't wait until the official source gets out and he upgrades the Oxygen ROM to 2.3 :D

Isn't the HTC Desire a branded Nexus One? If it is, then no matter what HTC does, I'm pretty sure the awesome people at XDA will find a way to import the ROMs over. :)

It's very similar yes, but there are some differences. The bootloader is locked, it runs Sense rather than stock Android, doesn't have the noise cancelling mic, has 64MB of extra RAM, and the optical touchpad.

im very sure they will. somewhere i read that the htc desire is a very well sold phone (and still is) so getting 2.3 on it should be in everyones interest. :yes:

im very sure they will. somewhere i read that the htc desire is a very well sold phone (and still is) so getting 2.3 on it should be in everyones interest. :yes:

Except HTC's.

Fact of the matter is HTC wants you to buy their newer phones. Why upgrade old users to 2.3 when they can get you to buy new hardware? The Desire is already almost a year old and they already upgraded us from 2.1 to 2.2. Upgrading the Desire to 2.3 would drastically reduce the appeal of HTC's newer Desire HD and Desire Z. If it were a lower speced phone or had some sort of unique feature, then it might be easier to rationalize, but it's too similar to the newer Desires; people may not see the need to upgrade.

Except HTC's.

Fact of the matter is HTC wants you to buy their newer phones. Why upgrade old users to 2.3 when they can get you to buy new hardware? The Desire is already almost a year old and they already upgraded us from 2.1 to 2.2. Upgrading the Desire to 2.3 would drastically reduce the appeal of HTC's newer Desire HD and Desire Z. If it were a lower speced phone or had some sort of unique feature, then it might be easier to rationalize, but it's too similar to the newer Desires; people may not see the need to upgrade.

Considering those phones have the new Sense experience, and the Desire doesn't (not officially) i'd tend to disagree with that. Seeing as the Desire is a phone that still sells in pretty high volume i'd say it will be in their interests to release an update.

Except HTC's.

I think it is in HTC's best interest, especially given how many people are stuck with that phone since they're locked into contracts and aren't going to buy a new phone. When people go to buy a new phone, will they go to the manufacturer that gives updates, or the one that doesn't. I know I won't be buying a SE phone anytime soon thanks to their history with Android updates, nor will I recommend one to anyone that asks.

I think it is in HTC's best interest, especially given how many people are stuck with that phone since they're locked into contracts and aren't going to buy a new phone. When people go to buy a new phone, will they go to the manufacturer that gives updates, or the one that doesn't. I know I won't be buying a SE phone anytime soon thanks to their history with Android updates, nor will I recommend one to anyone that asks.

Usually the only people who care about having the latest software are us nerds. HTC aren't likely to lose much money, if any at all, by not updating the software for older devices.

• 3 weeks later...
Why upgrade old users to 2.3 when they can get you to buy new hardware?

Why bother releasing security updates for Windows Vista and below?

Surely Microsoft want you to buy their latest OS right? ;)

Why bother releasing security updates for Windows Vista and below?

Surely Microsoft want you to buy their latest OS right? ;)

You're comparing two different markets; the same rules don't apply to each.