• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a new 60" TV

TruckWEB    474

I'm currently the owner of a projection (Sony SXRD 50") TV, but it's getting old and I'm planning on replacing it with a new 60".

I'm not looking for a 3DTV, I hate it and give me headache. My budget would be $2600 $CAN.

Any suggestions?

DClark    45

Here is a Sony LED for $1999 ($700 off at Future Shop):

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-bravia-60-1080p-120hz-led-hdtv-kdl60ex703-future-shop-exclusive-kdl60ex703/10139080.aspx?path=9102813649ce2381a5ba616db3a5faefen02

I have never owned a Sony LCD though....all Samsung (6 panels) with only one failure (monitor's power supply). If LED is not important for you, I would suggest this Samsung:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-60-1080p-120hz-lcd-hdtv-ln60c630-ln60c630/10145619.aspx?path=4d85a509507f765af5c5456d0c0623e5en02

Magnolia Man    0

If you want the best and can afford to pay for it go with a 240 Hz - LED TV. Their prices differ greatly but any of the manufacturers from Sony to Vizio will do. If the specs are the same you wont tell the difference in picture quality.

If your gonna go over 50" but can't afford a 1080p - 240hz LED TV then I suggest going plasma. big picture, good performance, reasonable price

and if your gonna go with a plasma then no one does plasma better than Panasonic

Panasonic TV's

TruckWEB    474

I'd prefer going with a LED HDTV, but at my price point, I know I can't go with the fancy Edge with local dimming LED.

I've seen a couple of demo TV, and to be quite honest, 120hz/240hz, to me, don't give a natural picture (in motion scene). I've even read that many people just turn OFF those feature. I hope I'm not mixing stuff like "MotionFlow" with 120hz or 240hz. If those are 2 different things, sorry, did not know!

Plasma tend to dissipate allot of heat. I don't care much about burn-in because no console will be connected to that TV.

I'll have Videotron Illico HD (1080i) and a Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray player connected (HDMI) to that TV. Oh and I'm planning on wall mounting the TV.

I was looking at the Sony KDL60EX700 (going for $1999, on sale) or Sharp LC60LE810 Quattron at $2598 (top of budget) or Panasonic TCP58S2 58" at $2298 (2" less!!!)

Is the QuadPixels tech from Sharp any good? Do we really need a yellow sub-pixel?

Thanks for the help!

Magnolia Man    0

yeah, "motion Flow" technology and frequency refresh rates are two different things.

and your right, the main disadvantages of plasma are heat dissipation, weight & burn in.

but if you have it calibrated or adjust the picture settings yourself that will improve the picture quality, heat dissipation & longevity of the TV. Weight might become an issue if your gonna wall mount it. and burn-in issues have improved a lot compared to plasma's 5 years ago

I have no idea about things like "QuadPixels tech from Sharp" or "THX certified tech from LG"...

gonna have to just read the Cust. Reviews to get a better feel about that

TruckWEB    474

Well, in about 3 weeks I'm gonna be the proud owner of a Sharp LC60LE820UN 60" Quattron. I've spend a couple of hours in store comparing all the the TV, putting all of them in factory default, playing around and I found the Sharp to be quite good. The colors are fantastic and the black are true, not like dark-gray.

Best of all, it's not 3D !!! :)

Now I have some construction to do, put some real wood on the wall in order to mount it....

Yeah!