64bit question

So you admit you're pretending to be a victim? And you claim you'll stop pretending to be a victim if I stop "picking you out of a crowd"? Look around you. Look at other people's posts from their profiles. Tell me, do you even look at your own posts? You abuse and insult people for their choices all the time. If you don't like that you're getting it handed right back to you, that's not my problem, change your attitude.

Excuse me? Pretending to be a victim? In this thread, I've made very just responses, some even well thought out, to the OP and anyone else who was wondering about it. I was being helpful and informative. You ask anyone else in this thread if I was being abusive in my responses to the OP in this thread. I dare you. There was no insulting, no abuse, nothing.

YOU, however, came in and started abusing and insulting ME out of the damn blue! FOR NO REASON AT ALL but to harass me! Hdood didn't help matters when he started in on me, too! Lay off me! I DID NOTHING WRONG HERE. STOP VILLAINIZING ME AND ATTACKING ME RIGHT NOW.

Guys, enough. Can we please quit bickering in another member's thread?

edit: Warns will be going out for either one if you choose to continue this argument in the thread. Let's please stay on topic.

Edited by rm20010

for very old hardware/peripherals and 20 year old apps maybe. and most incompatible hardware is more expensive to maintain than buy new, such as printers for example.

20 year old 16bit apps can be run in VMs like winxp mode in win7 x64.

While on this similar subject, I find it stupid to run 32bit apps in a 64bit operating system and I just find it idiotic to have 2 program files....

We had a problem that the 32 bit version of Oracle for some odd reason didnt support being installed in folder with numbers (Program Files (x86)). For me that is unacceptable and will disappear in the most part when Windows is released in a 64bit form only.

How do you know this if you refuse to even try. and again, you can still run everything in 32 bit just as fast and sometimes faster if the application/exe(same thing you know)

Not the same thing. I know a exe is a application but I know what I mean; Obviously you dont understand the scenario Im in so its difficult to understand (In your position, I wouldnt understand it either.)

isn't "ready". personally I haven't seen any examples of 64 bit apps that aren't "ready". they're pretty much encoded just like their 32 bit versions, except for special apps like photoshop and video editing suites which are specifically 64 bit, and make very good use of it.

If Im using a 64bit OS, all my programs should be in 64bit. I dont run ANY program in 16bit in the 32bit version of the OS. Why? Because they are all 32bits because the OS is only in a 32bit version.

as for drivers. well in all the years since XPx64 I haven't really had any problems. XPx64 was a bit tricky and MS chose to forgot it ever existed as well. but it worked well. but it was early and there wasn't many drivers, this mostly only affected scanners and webcams though. Today, unless you have ancient hardware that honestly should have been upgraded anyway, it's hard to find hardware that doesn't have 64 bit drivers. and if they do have the drivers, I have yet to see any 64 bit drivers that aren't at least as good and stable as their 32 bit counterparts. If anything, if driver stability is your concern, you should go 64 bit. I have seen far few problems with drivers on 64 bit today than on 32 bit, which due to the adoption of 64 bit, we're seeing that development of the 32 bit drivers are becoming more and more secondary.

The driver signing is a hassle as well (I know it can be passed using safe mode, might even be a reg edit out there do not know, but that is unacceptable)

"ancient hardware that honestly should have been upgraded anyway" Why? If I buy a PC today, it is ancient tommorow as this world moves every milisecond very fast. Of course, Im not talking about a 56k modem that goes thru serial. Im talking about (for example) a simple USB webcam. That is also unacceptable.

Ill accept it when the OS is ONLY 64bit because my webcam was made when the OS was ONLY 32bit.

Excuse me? Pretending to be a victim? In this thread, I've made very just responses, some even well thought out, to the OP and anyone else who was wondering about it. I was being helpful and informative. You ask anyone else in this thread if I was being abusive in my responses to the OP in this thread. I dare you. There was no insulting, no abuse, nothing.

YOU, however, came in and started abusing and insulting ME out of the damn blue! FOR NO REASON AT ALL but to harass me! Hdood didn't help matters when he started in on me, too! Lay off me! I DID NOTHING WRONG HERE. STOP VILLAINIZING ME AND ATTACKING ME RIGHT NOW.

I've also noticed that on every signle thread you post in that both LiquidSolstice and hdood single you out for "promoting" 64-bit. I'm with you though OP really needs to go 64-bit to get the best out of the system and to future proof it as well.

Lazure, if it really bothers you just report them both.

While on this similar subject, I find it stupid to run 32bit apps in a 64bit operating system and I just find it idiotic to have 2 program files....

We had a problem that the 32 bit version of Oracle for some odd reason didnt support being installed in folder with numbers (Program Files (x86)). For me that is unacceptable and will disappear in the most part when Windows is released in a 64bit form only.

that is insane request atm ,would probably take at least 20 year at earliest !

anyway Microsoft already put the stepping stone by mandating the presence of 64bit driver to get Windows 7 certification

the next objective for the next 5 year is axing 32bit windows SKU

so all 32bit windows/office gonna die in this decade for a starter

I'm interested for installing 64bit version of W7.U but I have a simple question : any 32bit app. installed (even games) keeps a copy of it on same/other partition ? Seems crazy but I've seen this on vista 64bit systems. Also , 3Gb DDR2 should keep me on 32bit or I'll experience an improvement in terms of speed under 64bit ?

Intel? Pentium? D Processor 805

Thanks

1. 32-bit apps/games/etc. install in (boot partition):/Program Files (x86) by default. This is normal with all x64 flavors of Windows (back to the original - XP Professional x64).

2. Absolutely not (to staying with x32) - Mom's new-but-refurbished PC (P4 Prescott-based, FYI) has but 1 GB of DDR2 (512 MB x2), yet is running 7 Ultimate x64. It's faster than the Northwood-based P4 it replaced, despite having half the RAM (the Northwood-C was running 7 Ultimate x32, so it's not the OS). The big reason I give for going to x64 when possible (and it's the CPU, not the RAM, that's the trigger) is stability, not performance (though some applications, and even some games and hardware, do show increased performance by changing bitness). My original Bitness Shootout involved a Celeron-D, so why would your Pentium-D not be capable?

Not the same thing. I know a exe is a application but I know what I mean; Obviously you dont understand the scenario Im in so its difficult to understand (In your position, I wouldnt understand it either.)

If Im using a 64bit OS, all my programs should be in 64bit. I dont run ANY program in 16bit in the 32bit version of the OS. Why? Because they are all 32bits because the OS is only in a 32bit version.

The driver signing is a hassle as well (I know it can be passed using safe mode, might even be a reg edit out there do not know, but that is unacceptable)

"ancient hardware that honestly should have been upgraded anyway" Why? If I buy a PC today, it is ancient tommorow as this world moves every milisecond very fast. Of course, Im not talking about a 56k modem that goes thru serial. Im talking about (for example) a simple USB webcam. That is also unacceptable.

Ill accept it when the OS is ONLY 64bit because my webcam was made when the OS was ONLY 32bit.

How old *is* that webcam (and what brand is it)?

I have a several-years-old Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX that predates XP64, yet x64 drivers and swoftware are available for it. I have a Creative NX Ultra that is *newer* than the STX, but lacks x64 driver or software support from Creative.

When it comes to hardware, the IHV must care about x64; if they do, they will view that signing fee as an investment. (Creative cares when it comes to sound cards, but not older-model USB webcams; their current USB webcams do support x64 Windows.)

When it comes to hardware, the IHV must care about x64; if they do, they will view that signing fee as an investment. (Creative cares when it comes to sound cards, but not older-model USB webcams; their current USB webcams do support x64 Windows.)

hehehe.... seriously ?....