SQL Server: the Blackcomb filing system

Posted on maxreboot.com:

Mandark writes "At this point, Microsoft turns the whole NTFS/SQL Server model on its head. Instead of SQL Server using storage file space provided by NTFS, SQL Server itself becomes the base storage engine, and NTFS becomes an API-compatible driver into the store - just like Drive M: today. In other words, the machine boots SQL Server and NTFS is an old compatibility API for those applications that still need to manipulate files through a filing system API.

This is perfectly possible to do. With the final killing-off of real-mode and 16-bit code with the death of Windows 98/ME and the arrival of Windows XP, Microsoft can have any size of boot-strap loader it likes. There is no need for the native store to be NTFS - it could just as easily be SQL Server that starts as the native store, with the NTFS driver coming in as a service. For desktop and laptop users, they might call it MSDE as in the present light-weight SQL Server for those machines.

I have not kept up with Blackcomb and its capabilites. This really looked sweet to me since I think in terms of databases all the time. It seemed like such a logical choice. I wonder why we have not seen this before.

lol

First thing I'm gonna do when having Blackcomb installed is getting SQL Server Enterprise Edition licenses of my "resources" and install SQL Server Enterprise to boost my disks :D