I am now part of the mac crew

The are PC's that will do a perfectly fine job for less money, maybe not 27" all in one, and wont look as nice, but not everyone wants that.

So don't don't buy one in that case... Simple has that. Non-argument really.

You can get a perfectly good PC running Windows 7 Professional (which is comparable to 0SX) for around ?500.00, might not look as good, and the quality of the individual components might not be as good,

You can't get a ?600 costing PC that includes a 27-inch high-res screen with the same performance as the 27-inch iMac.

but it will do the job just as well as the Mac.

That very much depends on the job you're doing.

You act as if the 27-inch iMac is Apple's low-end model. If you're going to make a comparison, do it properly. Also, you keep using the term "gullible" which makes absolutely no sense if someone specifically chose a product fully aware of his/her other options.

Oh I forgot to mention that it boots up 2x faster and everything is ready to be launched quicker than my windows PC ever did with the same specs :whistle:

I find that very hard to believe.

My only adventure into Mac is my Unibody Aluminum MacBook (5.1) Its nice however, I do not use it much (mainly because I have no use for it anymore)

Wil be joining you soon. Getting a 13" MBP for xmas (half paid for by myself). Got fed up of jumping between my 15" dell laptop and my netbook, so decided that I wanted something that could will both my travel time (I spend an awful lot of time on trains) and my work / leisure time. I could have something cheaper, but decided to treat myself.

So don't don't buy one in that case... Simple has that. Non-argument really.

You can't get a ?600 costing PC that includes a 27-inch high-res screen with the same performance as the 27-inch iMac.

That very much depends on the job you're doing.

You act as if the 27-inch iMac is Apple's low-end model. If you're going to make a comparison, do it properly. Also, you keep using the term "gullible" which makes absolutely no sense if someone specifically chose a product fully aware of his/her other options.

Jesus mate, my original remark about gullible was tongue in cheek (hence the smiley).

Why is it some Mac owners get so defensive (by the way I do own a Mac, as well as a PC, Netbook and laptop).

I wasn't making a direct comparison, most punters wont either, they will want to know, will it do the job, and the answer is for most, yes.

You can buy a PC that will perfectly do what a 27" all-in-one Mac will, for ?500.00, it wont have the same spec. but Joe Bloggs wont give a monkeys.

?500 PC's can do web design, print design, video editing etc. all just as well as a Mac, and mostly with the same software (Quark, Photoshop, Indesign all available on both systems).

People who buy Mac's tend to be the sort who are "Design" conscious (like me), the same sort who will buy designer label clothes, and premium make cars, which aren't intrinsically any better than run of the mill (a suit from Next would keep me clothed just as well as the Versace suit that I own), so yes it could be said we are gullible.

I find that very hard to believe.

Believe it if you want to or not :)

Oh and by the way, I don't care if you believe this statement or not but: I've been building PC's for years, used windows since 3.11, also the mac OS since 1997, let me tell you that Linux >>>> windows by far. Sure you can get a "hackintosh" but it won't really be the same. That's just my two cents.

Please point use to a 27-inch all-in-one with the same, or better, specs for less money.

Alright. Let's compare what Apple provides for their price:

• Price: $2,399.00
Specifications
  • 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
  • 1TB Serial ATA Drive
  • 8x double-layer SuperDrive
  • ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM
  • Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
  • Magic Mouse

And what you get for the same price (even a bit lower), in the real world: http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1585/61022469.jpg

And what you get for the same price (even a bit lower), in the real world: http://img585.images...85/61022469.jpg

Still not an all in one though. Plus building a PC is most often cheaper than buying one when you are talking about the high end.

If you compare the iMac to an all one machine from other manufacturers, it doesn't look too bad. Of course iMacs are still expensive, but its not that bad when you look at the competition.

Still not an all in one though. Plus building a PC is most often cheaper than buying one when you are talking about the high end.

If you compare the iMac to an all one machine from other manufacturers, it doesn't look too bad. Of course iMacs are still expensive, but its not that bad when you look at the competition.

If you don't have a friend that will assemble it for you and you don't know how to, any PC shop near you will have an option for assembly for a small fee.

If you don't have a friend that will assemble it for you and you don't know how to, any PC shop near you will have an option for assembly for a small fee.

That isn't the point.

Some people like the look / convience of having the monitor and tower in one unit.

And if you want that, you have to pay a little extra no matter what manufacturer you go for.

TBH the all in one is a good kit, until you have a problem and have to return the entire unit for repair, rather then just replacing the bad part ....

That is all ... over and out... :rofl:

Why is it some Mac owners get so defensive (by the way I do own a Mac, as well as a PC, Netbook and laptop).

Because some guy is happy with his purchase decided to post about it here and people like you have to bring up the whole "Apple tax" thing again. It's as tiresome as people using "M$" when they're talking about Microsoft.

I wasn't making a direct comparison, most punters wont either, they will want to know, will it do the job, and the answer is for most, yes.

You can buy a PC that will perfectly do what a 27" all-in-one Mac will, for £500.00, it wont have the same spec. but Joe Bloggs wont give a monkeys.

£500 PC's can do web design, print design, video editing etc. all just as well as a Mac, and mostly with the same software (Quark, Photoshop, Indesign all available on both systems).

Again, the 27-inch iMac isn't Apple's low-end model. If you want proper performance and enough screen estate a €600 PC isn't going to cut it for graphics design and video editing. My 2005 eMac can do Quark, Photoshop InDesign and video editing, so can the 2001 AMD Athlon XP 1700+ PC standing in the closet. That doesn't mean they come anywhere near the 27-inch iMac standing in the next room.

The 27-inch iMac isn't targeted at "most people" in the first place, so I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make here.

And what you get for the same price (even a bit lower), in the real world: http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1585/61022469.jpg

What part about "all-in-one" don't you understand? And next time when you chose a monitor be sure it has a same specced panel in it as the 27-inch iMac, which btw, yours doesn't have. Not by a long shot.

Honestly though, it'll run you about the same if you build a tower and throw in a 27" IPS monitor. I don't think I "overpaid" for my iMac at all.

TBH the all in one is a good kit, until you have a problem and have to return the entire unit for repair, rather then just replacing the bad part ....

That is all ... over and out... :rofl:

So what? Let's say something OTHER than the video card goes out. The power supply burns out on you on your "tower". You have to pull out all the power plugs on your mobo, unscrew it, basically take your whole tower apart. Your CPU goes bad, you still gotta take it apart. If your video card or sound card goes bad sure you can somewhat easily replace it. But why should "taking the whole PC down to the apple store for repairs" stop you?

Because some guy is happy with his purchase decided to post here and people like you have to **** all over that... As always.

I did not **** all over his purchase, as a fellow Mac owner I made a jokey remark (based on a previous posters remark), and as he did not comment on it, I assume he took it for what it was.

It was people like you that had to turn this into an argument, being over defensive....As always.

I accept that if you want a PC that is all-in-one 27" it will cost almost as much as the Mac.

I was never comparing a £500.00 PC with the 27" Mac, just stating for Joe Bloggs it will do, and they would never see the point in spending the sort of money to get the 27" Mac, and would possible think that anybody who would, should have their head looked at.

Honestly though, it'll run you about the same if you build a tower and throw in a 27" IPS monitor. I don't think I "overpaid" for my iMac at all.

So what? Let's say something OTHER than the video card goes out. The power supply burns out on you on your "tower". You have to pull out all the power plugs on your mobo, unscrew it, basically take your whole tower apart. Your CPU goes bad, you still gotta take it apart. If your video card or sound card goes bad sure you can somewhat easily replace it. But why should "taking the whole PC down to the apple store for repairs" stop you?

What about a bad monitor???

Seriously concerned that this simple happy time for someone has stooped into a pathetic Mac vs PC argument.

Mac and PC are BOTH FREAKING PERSONAL COMPUTERS THAT DO THE SAME THING!!!!

They have a different OS, but they're the same hardware, doing the same thing.

You want a Mac? Get a Mac? Don't like that someone else feels Mac suits them best? Move on. I have a PC and am about to buy a Mac. I develop games for a living and need a Mac for this (I will be using mac only tools for iPhone etc) as well as a PC. So I will enjoy using both. Don't get the hate.

That isn't the point.

Some people like the look / convience of having the monitor and tower in one unit.

And if you want that, you have to pay a little extra no matter what manufacturer you go for.

But why pay an extra thousand dollars, for just a look :blink: ?

What part about "all-in-one" don't you understand? And next time when you chose a monitor be sure it has a same specced panel in it as the 27-inch iMac, which btw, yours doesn't have. Not by a long shot.

Who cares about the "all-in-one" bull****? The only thing I got on my desk is a monitor with speakers and a few papers to write on. Same as with any iMac setup.

And the only thing you noticed in the specs I posted, is that the monitor isn't IPS? What about that the CPU got 6 cores instead of four, you get twice the HDD space or that you get 12 gigabytes of ram (out of 16 max) and an option for SLI/CrossFire with better graphics card (which you can't have in an iMac)? And have you noticed it was cheaper, too?

But why pay an extra thousand dollars, for just a look:blink:?

Who cares about the "all-in-one" bull****? The only thing I got on my desk is a monitor with speakers and a few papers to write on. Same as with any iMac setup.

And the only thing you noticed in the specs I posted, is that the monitor isn't IPS? What about that the CPU got 6 cores instead of four, you get twice the HDD space or that you get 12 gigabytes of ram (out of 16 max) and an option for SLI/CrossFire with better graphics card (which you can't have in an iMac)? And have you noticed it was cheaper, too?

The point I am trying to make is that you cannot compare the cost of an iMac to the cost of a self built PC.

Reason One - Self builds are always cheaper when you are on about the high end (that is true regardless of manufacturer)

Reason Two - All in ones are more expensive than prebuilt tower unis.

Both are facts.

And yes, some people do care about the all in one stuff (quite a lot actually).

More than the number of people who want a 6 Core CPU, or 12GB of RAM or SLI / CrossFire.

The point I am trying to make is that you cannot compare the cost of an iMac to the cost of a self built PC.

Reason One - Self builds are always cheaper when you are on about the high end (that is true regardless of manufacturer)

Reason Two - All in ones are more expensive than prebuilt tower unis.

Both are facts.

And yes, some people do care about the all in one stuff (quite a lot actually).

More than the number of people who want a 6 Core CPU, or 12GB of RAM or SLI / CrossFire.

I think this thread into pointless argument. Most people buy iMac because they want a Mac (or OS X) not because it has an IPS panel or better design or something else.

On that note, I wonder how many "average mac users" actually know what IPS even means. :p

On that note, I wonder how many "average mac users" actually know what IPS even means. :p

The guys in the reproduction department where I work, which is all Mac's, don't. ;)

According Google, Indianapolis Public Schools. Something new everyday. I always thought it had something to do with internet and p0rn. Don't know what this IPS has to do with Macs, but I trust everything Google says :p

Anyways, the current screens are really nice. It's nice to see that Apple isn't trying to sell 27" TN panels with 1080p resolution.