New android phone (used).

My question is why do you have a smart phone if you don't intend to connect to the internet. That's kind of the point of having a smart phone.

A point, not the point.

He can still use Wifi, apps, and MP3 player while out.

Example being Google Maps getting offline support now too.

^

Yep.

Maybe I'll grow into Internet use while I'm away from my computer...

but I'm not there yet. As for it not having a "stock" ROM, how the hell

do I check that? If the phone has been modded I probably need to know

that.

Here's my About Phone page:

Model: T-Mobile myTouch 3G

Firmware version: 1.6

Baseband version: 62.50sc.20.17U_2.22.23.02

Kernel version: 2.6.29-g023e5c9, htc-kernel@and18-2 #3

Build number: 2.10.531.4 CL119339 release-keys

A point, not the point.

He can still use Wifi, apps, and MP3 player while out.

Example being Google Maps getting offline support now too.

But you still need a data connection to cache the maps, it can be done over Wifi but what if you're in an area without Wireless?

The phone OP has is Android 1.6, it doesn't support Google Maps 5, but the question still stands.

^

Yep.

Maybe I'll grow into Internet use while I'm away from my computer...

but I'm not there yet. As for it not having a "stock" ROM, how the hell

do I check that? If the phone has been modded I probably need to know

that.

Here's my About Phone page:

Model: T-Mobile myTouch 3G

Firmware version: 1.6

Baseband version: 62.50sc.20.17U_2.22.23.02

Kernel version: 2.6.29-g023e5c9, htc-kernel@and18-2 #3

Build number: 2.10.531.4 CL119339 release-keys

I believe that's a stock HTC 1.6 ROM as it seems to have an htc-kernel, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

To wipe it, go to Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset

Easiest way to install apps would be to use WiFi if possible, but if that's not an option... To install apps via your PC, you'll need to install the Android SDK and use adb to push any application .apk files you might have to the device's /data/apps folder.

Where are you going to get the apps from though?

If he just wants to install apps via a UI on the PC, but still use the phone to download the apps, you can use the AppBrain app to do that. Lets you go on the appbrain website and choose which apps to download, then your phone will download and install them.

• 3 weeks later...

You should be able to skip the account setup.

As for loading apps, like I said, you need to use the Android SDK: http://developer.and.../sdk/index.html

It's not as plain-cut as on iOS where you can use iTunes to download and install apps, there is no desktop app for loading Android Apps on your phone. You would have to find illegal copies of the apps floating around and push the files to your phone using the SDK.

Erm, this isn't actually true. You don't need the SDK to install apps, you can do it from any file manager, or even through a web browser (if you upload to your public Dropbox folder and email yourself a direct link) from within the phone.

The only apps that won't install through the phone are system based apps, which will bring up a parsing error if you try and install them. .apk is similar to .exe for Windows.