Nexus S

Well, I've owned the Vibrant now for some time and I do enjoy the phone. The screen is beautiful and the device runs like a champ and performs well at any task I give it.....

However, I just recently bought my wife a new MyTouch 4G and other than the hideous UI that HTC decided to go with on the MT4G the phone is awesome! The front facing camera, flash, build quality, Android 2.2... all of these features have made me feel a little jealous of her device...

All this being said I'm thinking about selling my Vibrant for a Nexus S. The only drawback I see to owning this device is it has the same build quality as the Vibrant and I personally like a more durable feel (such as the HTC phone). So, if I do decide to sell my Vibrant would I be able to get around 200 or more for it? I want to at least break even on making a new purchase. Or is it in my best interest to wait a little while for a new HTC phone but risk the chance at selling my vibrant for more money.

So conflicted right now.

I'm going to wait for the dual cores next year. The Nexus S has been reported as "cheap feeling" and it's stuck at 16GB.

I don't know about the resell price you wish to achieve, but I know that I'd prefer the HTC Desire over the Nexus S. Although they are getting rid of the Desire on cheap deals which means something nice must be coming in to replace it.

I'm going to wait for the dual cores next year. The Nexus S has been reported as "cheap feeling" and it's stuck at 16GB.

I don't know about the resell price you wish to achieve, but I know that I'd prefer the HTC Desire over the Nexus S. Although they are getting rid of the Desire on cheap deals which means something nice must be coming in to replace it.

The 'cheap' feel is one of my dislikes about the galaxy s/vibrant I have now. Compared to the MyTouch 4G it makes my phone seem like a toy. Granted, mine is significantly lighter and some may like that but I go to the gym frequently and am always running around and like to have a sturdy phone.

As for the external storage I have never purchased an SD card for any phone I have or ever had... I've always used what it came with so that is not really a concern. If I want to listen/watch shows I typically use Pandora/Slacker or watch on T-Mobile TV or another app that supports video on demand. Or I'll load up a movie or two onto the current SD card and replace it when I'm done.

Now, for the HTC Desire, if I'm not mistaken that may only be for overseas only and not for the US (which is where I'm at) so that phone is out of the question. But you have peaked my interest in the dual core optionsthat may be coming in the next year.. of course looking onto some tmobile news sites I'm not seeing many alternatives in the coming months that would be better than the nexus s...

I'm getting the Mt4G but will still hold onto my HD2 :) I've been running a Nexus S Gingerbread-based ROM on the HD2 now for awhile so there's not much more to see there (aside from some new hardware features on the Nexus S I don't care about). Now I'm aiming for an actual droid device that will take advantage of T-Mob's 4G in my area which my badass HD2 can't do obviously.

I might upgrade the wife to the Mt4G just to hold one and mess with it for a bit - in between her Angry Birds that is ;)

I'm getting the Mt4G but will still hold onto my HD2 :) I've been running a Nexus S Gingerbread-based ROM on the HD2 now for awhile so there's not much more to see there (aside from some new hardware features on the Nexus S I don't care about). Now I'm aiming for an actual droid device that will take advantage of T-Mob's 4G in my area which my badass HD2 can't do obviously.

I might upgrade the wife to the Mt4G just to hold one and mess with it for a bit - in between her Angry Birds that is ;)

The MT4G is a solid device. I really like it, I'm just not to keen on the UI that HTC and/or T-mobile implemented. Not that it can be removed using Launcher Pro or anything... Ahh, so hard. I do want a device that does take advantage of their new infrastructure. IDK I may just wait for some more review and go for a new phone after the holidays. Maybe a new one will come out with all the bells and whistles that I'm looking for.

You won't find someone paying $200 (let alone MORE than $200) for a USED phone when they can go to Tmobile and pay $200 for new or wait for a deal through a reseller and pay $50-100 for an upgrade.

You won't find someone paying $200 (let alone MORE than $200) for a USED phone when they can go to Tmobile and pay $200 for new or wait for a deal through a reseller and pay $50-100 for an upgrade.

True but that is assuming that the buyer is either a. Not a current T-Mobile user b. Is able for a full upgrade or c. Wants to extend their contract.

I grabbed my numbers from Craigslist I personally wouldn't buy used but for 50 more than the new price plus not 2 year extension seemed like an okay deal.

Ill probably Just hold off. My buggiest gripe is its not able to be covered by insurion.

But totally see your point.

The one nice thing about the Nexus S is that it'll be the reference dev phone at google, so you're guaranteed that the next Android release will come shortly after release instead of having to wait 6 months.

@SaltLife You should also know that if you were to decide to get the Nexus S, that you would be losing 720p recording (hardware limitation), a microSD slot and Gorilla Glass. Even though you would be getting a Front Facing Camera, Flash and an NFC chip with the Nexus S.

I don't know how much you use 720p recording, I do a lot and could not see myself downgrading. For as much as I take care of my phone, accidents happen and I would hate knowing I do not have Gorilla Glass for that added protection, not that it would guarantee something could not happen but I love knowing with the Vibrant it is at least there to help more in case of an accident.

I also have yet to upgrade my 2GB sd in the microSD card slot but I love being able to add more space, if ever necessary. Flash isn't a big deal to me as the night mode on the Vibrant works great and I rarely take night pictures anyways. I would rarely use the FFC and NFC chip too.

I really wanted the Nexus S, a lot of me wanting to have it was being able to grab the latest Android update once they are out without having to wait for it to be out from Samsung, in my case, or anyone else. Though prior to me using the Vibrant, I was using the G1 since its release and always had CyanogenMod on it. But I ended up not wanting it anymore after learning all this, I can wait for the updates or use an alternative ROM/Unofficial update if necessary.

@SaltLife You should also know that if you were to decide to get the Nexus S, that you would be losing 720p recording (hardware limitation), a microSD slot and Gorilla Glass. Even though you would be getting a Front Facing Camera, Flash and an NFC chip with the Nexus S.

I don't know how much you use 720p recording, I do a lot and could not see myself downgrading. For as much as I take care of my phone, accidents happen and I would hate knowing I do not have Gorilla Glass for that added protection, not that it would guarantee something could not happen but I love knowing with the Vibrant it is at least there to help more in case of an accident.

I also have yet to upgrade my 2GB sd in the microSD card slot but I love being able to add more space, if ever necessary. Flash isn't a big deal to me as the night mode on the Vibrant works great and I rarely take night pictures anyways. I would rarely use the FFC and NFC chip too.

I really wanted the Nexus S, a lot of me wanting to have it was being able to grab the latest Android update once they are out without having to wait for it to be out from Samsung, in my case, or anyone else. Though prior to me using the Vibrant, I was using the G1 since its release and always had CyanogenMod on it. But I ended up not wanting it anymore after learning all this, I can wait for the updates or use an alternative ROM/Unofficial update if necessary.

I'm not big on recording on my phone, but perhaps that is because I've been conditioned that they suck at recording (lol)... Thank again that is something that I would be missing. As for the SD card not sure that bothers me as I said.. but what is alarming is the glass. I was not aware of this. I've already replaced my Vibrant once because the panel broke. (at the gym I think and I suppose a weight hit it just at the right angle on the corner and cracked the screen). If the Nexus S is even more likely to be broken that is a major concern, almost a deal breaker

I've been offered by legit buyers on CL already for enough to buy the Nexus, but I may have to seriously re-consder this offer now. Question, the gorilla glass was this ever used on other T-Mobile phones, such as MT3G or the G1?

I'm not big on recording on my phone, but perhaps that is because I've been conditioned that they suck at recording (lol)... Thank again that is something that I would be missing. As for the SD card not sure that bothers me as I said.. but what is alarming is the glass. I was not aware of this. I've already replaced my Vibrant once because the panel broke. (at the gym I think and I suppose a weight hit it just at the right angle on the corner and cracked the screen). If the Nexus S is even more likely to be broken that is a major concern, almost a deal breaker

I've been offered by legit buyers on CL already for enough to buy the Nexus, but I may have to seriously re-consder this offer now. Question, the gorilla glass was this ever used on other T-Mobile phones, such as MT3G or the G1?

They're great at recording and the outcome looks beautiful in HD in most cases (i.e. probably not going to be great in dark settings and what not) but it's a phone, there's only so much we can ask for them to do anyways. You should test it out sometime even though you said your not big on recording.

Gorilla Glass was never on the G1 or the MT3G. Here's a list of all the phones that currently have Gorilla Glass as of this time: http://www.corninggo...atured-products

Handheld Devices

• Dell: Aero, Streak, Venue Pro
  • LG: LG Mini, Arena TV, Ophone, Ally, Optimus 7
  • Motorola: BACKFLIP, BRAVO, CHARM, CLIQ, CLIQ XT, DEFY, DEVOUR, DEXT, DROID, DROID 2, DROID 2 GLOBAL, DROID PRO, DROID X, FLIPOUT, MOTOROLA i1, MOTOROLA MILESTONE
  • NEC: docomo PRIME series N-02B
  • Samsung: Behold II, Flight II, Galaxy A, Galaxy S, S8500 WAVE, Trance, Transform, Ultra TOUCH S8300
  • SK Telesys: Rain Phone, Reaction Phone

If you were wanting an actual source on the Nexus S not having Gorilla Glass you can find that here: http://www.talkandro...-gorilla-glass/ or any other sites picking this story up.