[HELP]Configuring Machines

Question

pimpshiznid

Ok, I have this plan, and I am implementing it in a machine shop that is owned by a family member.

It consists of a main server and 6 CNC Mills. Each of the CNC mills is ready for networking, and all use a RS-232 port (a parallel port) to recieve data.

What I plan on doing is networking all of the CNC mills to a central server. The central server will be able to run diagnostics and also be able to send the code out to the machines to be able to machine the parts. The central server will also be able to accept the data in order to save machine scripts from the CNC mill to the HD of the central server.

I plan on running it via wireless networking, thus, eliminating the wires that would commonly be used to make standard ethernet networking. I also have already bought the software that will communicate with each of the CNC mills. My question is, will I be able to run the wireless networking device directly to the parallel port, using an adapter, or will have have to implement a smaller computer to each of the CNC mills, and then transfer the data across the network that way? If I need a smaller compute, would I be able to use some 486's in order to accept and transfer that data?

I am trying to be as cost efficent as possible. The software being used is free, but if I can get away with less than $5,000 for the entire setup, I am entitled to a $5,000 bonus.

I am just wondering what would be the best way to do this.

Thanks greatly for any help!!!

6 answers to this question

uniacidz

For my information i provide, i wish to claim 25% of your bonus.

Seems fair doesnt it?

PCKing
Ok, I have this plan, and I am implementing it in a machine shop that is owned by a family member.

It consists of a main server and 6 CNC Mills. Each of the CNC mills is ready for networking, and all use a RS-232 port (a parallel port) to recieve data.

What I plan on doing is networking all of the CNC mills to a central server. The central server will be able to run diagnostics and also be able to send the code out to the machines to be able to machine the parts. The central server will also be able to accept the data in order to save machine scripts from the CNC mill to the HD of the central server.

I plan on running it via wireless networking, thus, eliminating the wires that would commonly be used to make standard ethernet networking. I also have already bought the software that will communicate with each of the CNC mills. My question is, will I be able to run the wireless networking device directly to the parallel port, using an adapter, or will have have to implement a smaller computer to each of the CNC mills, and then transfer the data across the network that way? If I need a smaller compute, would I be able to use some 486's in order to accept and transfer that data?

I am trying to be as cost efficent as possible. The software being used is free, but if I can get away with less than $5,000 for the entire setup, I am entitled to a $5,000 bonus.

I am just wondering what would be the best way to do this.

Thanks greatly for any help!!!

How big is the shop? You may not want to go with a central server... but cheapo workstations next to each machine... hardwired back to another computer, say in the office... for help we would really need some more information... RS232 has a very limited distance it can go over... and with wireless there may be interference with the machines...

pimpshiznid

I have already spent $4,500 for everything I have to work with... So the $5,000 bonus doesn't seem real likely.

PCKing: The shop is about 1,000 sq. feet, and has been approved for no interference with the machines. The cnetral server was hoped to be about 300 feet from the grouping of machines.

The server has been purchased, a dual Intel Pentium 4 2.53 ghz system with 2 gigs of ram and 5 200 gig HD's. The scripts full compiled take up a little room on the CNC machines, but take up a far greater amount of space on the HD due to the software being used. I could have gone with better software, but it would have cost $20,000. This system will also be used when MasterCAM is implemented, which will be in a few months. It is going to used a whole hd just to maintain status information, according to the software manufacturer. The software is yet unnamed by me, because it is some asian named software ported over to English. The offices will also use the server.

Each CNC machine has a workstation already to it, albeit not the greatest in the world (runs machine code), but it works for the machines....

youm0nt

Moved to networking

PCKing

I really cant get a picture in my head as to the machines and such, but I know for a fact that you could take some off that server and save some cash! I dont think 6 machines will need even a 10th of that power...

pimpshiznid

To give you an example of the machines that I am working with, I have included information and pictures...

I will be working with 2 VMC 1260 Tree's & 1 VMC 1050 Tree.

vmc1260e.jpg

1 Chiron America FZ12S Magnum

CHIRON.jpg

1 brand new machine set to arrive later this week. (Can't remember the name, just purchased today)

And an older 1960's CNC with a tape drive.

The large server is necessary due to MasterCAM doing to be used on it in a few weeks.