Young wife, mother of 2 killed by a simple pothole

HEFLIN, AL ? His wife riding beside him with their two children in safety seats in the back, John Fisher drove home toward South Carolina along a stretch of Interstate 20 covered with ruts, bumps and crumbling concrete.

Just ahead of the family, Crystal Marie Dick was heading to the other side of the Georgia line to give a friend a ride.

The pothole in front of her 1995 Toyota Camry had been fixed at least once already, and now the repair was breaking down, too. A pocket of jagged, brittle bits of concrete covered nearly half of the right lane, the slow lane.

Her Camry hit the hole, kicking a chunk into the air as the Fishers' green Ford pickup hurtled forward at 70 mph.

The glass directly in front of Fisher's wife exploded.

No one knows exactly how big the fragment was, but it blew a hole the size of a football through the windshield. It struck Jo Maureen Fisher in the head, sailed between her preschoolers, hit the rear window and shattered it too, flying out of the truck's cab never to be found.

Wounded in the most random of ways, John Fisher's 33-year-old wife died the next day. Today, he is a single dad trying to balance work with child care and all the things she used to do.

more

Was the laminated glass supposed to have prevented that?

no. laminated glass prevents glass from going everywhere in a roll over or smaller accident. it doesn't stop objects hurtling at the window from crashing through.

no. laminated glass prevents glass from going everywhere in a roll over or smaller accident. it doesn't stop objects hurtling at the window from crashing through.

it seems to stop bricks when people throw them off bypasses around us (idiots)... we had kids throwing red bricks (the smaller ones) off bridges onto the highway below in the past couple years and a few hit the windshields of the cars and destroyed the window, but didn't go into the car, just pushed the window in and shattered like a spiderweb but stayed intact... I think the side windows are the ones that shatter into a million little pellets, the windshield is laminated to the point it is supose to stay together to an extent... but a pointy object could penatrate the lamination easily probably and still get into the car

This story is absolutely horrible and sad. I feel for the guy and his kids. These stories are made all the worse when they happen around the holidays. Such a senseless death...

Must they have driven at 70 mph ? huh.gif

Why not??

Interstate roads are american versions of motorways aren't they?

You don't expect such a bad pothole on a motorway designed for high speed traffic.

Must they have driven at 70 mph ? :huh:

70 MPH is slow compared to highway speeds around here. The posted limit is 65 on most highways in CT, but no one ever drives that slow. "Slow" traffic usually travels around 70-75.

Dude I just drove through there Thanksgiving weekend on our way home from Louisiana, I-20 is probably the worst interstate I have ever driven on it's horrible. The interstate system in this country sucks compared to say the Autobahn which uses over 2 ft of asphalt/concrete to create their roads, here I think they are less than 12 inches... I think they really need to budget some money and fix this ****ty roads...

I am fairly confidant that 65MPH is the limit in that area....

It is, Alabama is either 55 mph or 65 mph with some areas 70 mph but its not very common.

That is the legal limit in Alabama, why shouldn't they??

Erm, the concrete may have NOT gone thru the windshield, or they would have had time to steer clear ... :rolleyes:

Erm, the concrete may have NOT gone thru the windshield, or they would have had time to steer clear ... :rolleyes:

due to the freak nature of the accident it may have gone through at 40 / 50 mph. It depends on how it hits. Again doing 50/60mph sweaving might have rolled it, if he was able to see an object of that size flying the the air in the first place. People hit bigger things in motorways as there is sometimes not enough time to react.

It's a tragic freak accident, the main thing that could have been done was to keep the roads in good shape, especially a high speed road.

Dude I just drove through there Thanksgiving weekend on our way home from Louisiana, I-20 is probably the worst interstate I have ever driven on it's horrible. The interstate system in this country sucks compared to say the Autobahn which uses over 2 ft of asphalt/concrete to create their roads, here I think they are less than 12 inches... I think they really need to budget some money and fix this ****ty roads...

I used to live in Atlanta, and have been through there a number of times. NoLiMiT06 is absolutely correct. That stretch of highway is alarmingly bad. It's also heavily rutted- so even if the driver had seen the rock fly up, trying to avoid it may have been even worse.