• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Is this HDTV decent?

Evolution    16

I would avoid it since it appears that no one has reviewed it and that specifications can be deceiving.

Richard Hammond    119

To be fair you dont need 1080p on a 32" TV as most people wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

You dont need a branded TV to get good quality, a lot of the panels are made by the same company all the unknown brands do is whack the chips in and put it in a plastic shell. If you dont want image processing and are only going to use it to play games and watch the odd film then that TV is fine, has plenty of HDMI, etc..

KeeperOfThePizza    49

Yeah, Like i said here, i don't need anything cutting edge. as far as I know Haier isn't a unknown brand.

Richard Hammond    119

Its not unknown its just not a premium brand i dont understand why people crap on them so much and say that 1080p is minimum. I just bought a 32" 1080p Toshiba Regza and i dont really notice difference between it and my old 32" random brand 1366x768 TV until i start using image processing like Resolution+ upscaling of standard definition, i certainly dont see difference between my 1080p retail bluray discs and 720p copy i make for my NAS.

FiB3R    1,663

1080p is pointless on a 32"

much better sets to be had in that price range LINK

Chsoriano    127

In my opinion... you can get a much better panel than that though... for the same price. On black friday I bought my grandfather a 32" LED-lit LCD 1080p for $400

There are still good prices to be found on either 720p or 1080p 32" sets, I second looking on Amazon

KeeperOfThePizza    49

well it was on sale for 289.99. i bought it last night. and i bought a hdmi cord for it also. it looked good. as i said i dont need anything cutting edge. just decent quality

Sylar0    102

Its not unknown its just not a premium brand i dont understand why people crap on them so much and say that 1080p is minimum. I just bought a 32" 1080p Toshiba Regza and i dont really notice difference between it and my old 32" random brand 1366x768 TV until i start using image processing like Resolution+ upscaling of standard definition, i certainly dont see difference between my 1080p retail bluray discs and 720p copy i make for my NAS.

Are you in the UK have never heard of the brand sounds like cheap and nasty to me as for 1080p you do need it because all Uk tv is 1080i and thats higher than 720p.

Richard Hammond    119

Yes im from the UK and i have heard of the brand.

You DONT need 1080p unless you have a TV that is over 50-60" and all UK TV isnt 1080i at all, depending on platform (terrestrial/cable/satellite) most UK shows are 576i, some of the +1 channels are 544x576. Of the very few HD channels we do have yes they are 1080i but as already stated you wont notice the difference between 720p and 1080i/p on a 32" TV.

AbandonedTrolley    93

Are you in the UK have never heard of the brand sounds like cheap and nasty to me as for 1080p you do need it because all Uk tv is 1080i and thats higher than 720p.

Wow blink.gif

Just because a show is put out at 1080i/p doesn't mean you always see the benefit, in fact you may well find that the 720p display will look better than the 1080i. As mentioned at 32" then 1080 isn't a requirement unless you are totally anal, but chances are you won't see much difference, if any at all.

You DONT need 1080p unless you have a TV that is over 50-60" and all UK TV isnt 1080i at all, depending on platform (terrestrial/cable/satellite) most UK shows are 576i, some of the +1 channels are 544x576. Of the very few HD channels we do have yes they are 1080i but as already stated you wont notice the difference between 720p and 1080i/p on a 32" TV.

This. I've got a 37" 1080p Bravia and can't really tell much difference. I think when I buy a replacement I will be looking around the 50" size though and move the 37" to the bedroom.

Sylar0    102

Accualy my friend sky has the most hd channels in the uk many channels planned to but fair enough.

DaDude    44

I have a 720p 32" HDTV and am very happy with it. Looks good to me.

gregb0b    11

That isn't a no name brand.... they were once sponsors of the NHL or some other professional sport type. Like others have said 32 inch 1080p is pointless. Save the extra money and get a 720p if you want that size of a tv.

Richard Hammond    119

Accualy my friend sky has the most hd channels in the uk many channels planned to but fair enough.

Yes i know that but not EVERY channel is 1080i and compared to the US our HD channels are a handful i used to have Sky HD and it was crap.

Dark_ph0enix    13

To everyone saying you don't need 1080p on anything less than a 32" display - it depends on how far you're sitting from it. I've got a 23" Monitor, that's 1080p (Samsung 2333HD), and compared to the monitor I used at work - the difference is noticable. And it's not like I've got superhuman eyesight - believe me, I can post the prescription for my current glasses ;)