Off topic forums moved to the bottom

The General Discussion category has been moved to the bottom, above Recreational Activities. Please remember that if you don't like this you can always add them to your Favorites category.

We're also going to experiment with merging some of the forums in order to make the index less complicated.

So what are your thoughts on having an OS Category that looks like this?

Apple

Linux

Windows

Instead of having multiple categories with multiple forums?

Let us know by commenting.

oh noez you are messing witht eh order of forums i have grown accustomed to and navigate from the root forum directory instinctively!

anyways as far as the OS forums go, it looks like your idea would work for linux and apple, but the windows sub forums all seem to have on topic activity in them, so merging them all might crowd out threads in it. instead maybe make the less active sub forums inside more active windows forums, to help declutter the root forum directory.

Excellent idea. (Y)

Small suggestion: Why not move Windows Legacy Support as a sub-forum to Windows Client Support? Legacy support is practically dead and only takes up valuable space in the forum index.

A nice feature would be to enforce tagging in those forums and allow filtering by tag, so that a user can select to view only recent posts with [WinXP] or [Win7], if all the Windows forums are merged. I don't see any need to have the Legacy forum, and the Servers forum will do just fine in general Windows. There might be issues when more information about Win8 leaks (and really any WinNEXT), but if the tagging/filtering can be implemented, that might solve a lot of the organizational issues with the main board index.

Essential Guides could be moved into the Member Submitted area. OS customization forums could become subforums of the OS categories.

A nice feature would be to enforce tagging in those forums and allow filtering by tag, so that a user can select to view only recent posts with [WinXP] or [Win7], if all the Windows forums are merged. I don't see any need to have the Legacy forum, and the Servers forum will do just fine in general Windows. There might be issues when more information about Win8 leaks (and really any WinNEXT), but if the tagging/filtering can be implemented, that might solve a lot of the organizational issues with the main board index.

Essential Guides could be moved into the Member Submitted area. OS customization forums could become subforums of the OS categories.

Windows betas should have their own sub-forum imho. Once the Windows 8 cycle of alphas/betas starts there will be a lot of threads which don't need to pollute the support forum for stable Windows versions.

Excellent idea. (Y)

Small suggestion: Why not move Windows Legacy Support as a sub-forum to Windows Client Support? Legacy support is practically dead and only takes up valuable space in the forum index.

Good idea, done (Y)

I think moving General Discussion further to the bottom is good thing. The tech forums should be focused on at the top and middle of the forum.

I'm pleased that the Windows legacy support forum has been removed. There were only two threads in that forum from the past month.

I like have the the tech stuff at the top, makes it better for new comers and outsiders to find out tech and support information quicker and easier :D

General Discussion used to be the bottom of the root page anyway, so it's no biggy moving it again in my eyes.

As Neowin is a technology site, technology forums should always be based at the top of the page.