[PS3] Why are software updates so slow?

Almost every game I've ever played on xbox 360 has had an update. They're just so fast you might not remember them.

It would be interesting to know what the difference is between the way updates are packaged that allows 360 updates to be smaller.

As far as I know, the 360 just downloads patches which are applied to the OS, while the PS3 downloads the entire OS and replaces all of it.

edit - Excelsis beat me to it :)

As far as I know, the 360 just downloads patches which are applied to the OS, while the PS3 downloads the entire OS and replaces all of it.

Since FW 3.40 firmware has been incremental - http://www.consoleaddicted.com/playstation-3/future-ps3-firmware-updates-to-be-smaller-in-size-and-faster-downloads/

It goes really fast for me all the time.

Double Ditto. Must be luck of the draw. Because there are times the PSN is actually faster for me then Live. Such as when the most recent Madden demo was released. It even made me check my router and each of my consoles to make sure my static IP's were still intact and all the appropriate ports were opened as well. For both consoles I had to open certain ports and set up a static IP.

I might be totally wrong but I think the way the PS3 updates are made is they're the entire executable file while the 360 uses some form of IPS* patching so you don't have to download the entire executable.

*if you've never heard of IPS patches, the way they're made is they look at the difference between 2 files (usually one is the original and the other is modified) and makes a patch out of it which usually is relatively small in size, this is often used for ROM hacks of old games, like Super Mario World.

Yup, this.

The thing is with PSN is that it is a free service, and they have invested in it as such. Download speeds on PSN for me have always been absolutely dire, where as on XBL I have always got top speeds. This is down to the fact XBL is paid for therefore that money has gone into investing in the back end infrastructure, you just can't expect the same level of investment from Sony.

I'm not knocking PSN, free is free, nor am I trying to draw this into an xbox v ps3 war but I think the comparison is valid. Don't expect a top drawer service if you're not paying for it.

I normally get at least a 1mb download from anything I'm getting off of PSN. Don't know why, but it has never really been slow for me, at least to a point where I think it is slow for a console lol.

I normally get at least a 1mb download from anything I'm getting off of PSN. Don't know why, but it has never really been slow for me, at least to a point where I think it is slow for a console lol.

I believe it is entirely based on where you are / where you are downloading from on PSN. Not all users are born equal on that network. For example I know people with a 5MB connection in Glasgow that gets much better performance than someone with a 50mb connection in Reading, which otherwise get decent throughput from other services.

I've only got a 6meg BT connection, but the speeds are always fine for me. Admittedly now with PS+ I don't really see much of the download times, only when I buy things from the store.

Not sure about incremental (when it's on or something), but today my ps3 turned on so I switched to hdmi and it was giving me message that it's downloading update. After few seconds it turned itself off.

• 1 year later...

Surely they can and should do something to improve the user's experience here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I paid $500 or so to BUY the game console, not my fault if Sony lost money on the deal, I paid near $100 to BUY the game (GT5 in this case). SO I have spent $600, I find myself with an hour or so spare this morning and decide to have a thrash around my favorite track, put the GT5 game disk in, and it tells me I need to do a system update before I can play it. I have now been waiting more than an hour, and the downlod bar is at 31%. There goes my thrash around the track. In fact, I need to go out shortly, and I would like to take my mobile phone with me, which in my case happens to also serve my home internet connection. Does that mean I have to leave my phone here so I don't break the update connection?

The game worked perfectly well last time I played it. There was no option presented to me to update later for a game I have paid good money for. Surely I could have played the game now, then been given the option of updating at a later time that was convenient for me. Like leave the system updating when I go to bed tonight or something.

Not happy with Sony at all.

Old thread is old.

But yes, I agree that PS3's updating system could be improved better. Sometimes game updates are larger than the games themselves!

Surely they can and should do something to improve the user's experience here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I paid $500 or so to BUY the game console, not my fault if Sony lost money on the deal, I paid near $100 to BUY the game (GT5 in this case). SO I have spent $600, I find myself with an hour or so spare this morning and decide to have a thrash around my favorite track, put the GT5 game disk in, and it tells me I need to do a system update before I can play it. I have now been waiting more than an hour, and the downlod bar is at 31%. There goes my thrash around the track. In fact, I need to go out shortly, and I would like to take my mobile phone with me, which in my case happens to also serve my home internet connection. Does that mean I have to leave my phone here so I don't break the update connection?

The game worked perfectly well last time I played it. There was no option presented to me to update later for a game I have paid good money for. Surely I could have played the game now, then been given the option of updating at a later time that was convenient for me. Like leave the system updating when I go to bed tonight or something.

Often when this happens, I disconnect/disable PS3 internet and I could play offline without updating. It will force you to update if you are online/connected. This doesn't work if you need to play online.

Easy, select no.

You will be signed out of PSN but you will be able to play your game.

I would like to take my mobile phone with me, which in my case happens to also serve my home internet connection.

wow, I never thought I'd read that - but just don't expect a good speed or connection via any form of wireless.

the PS3 is fitted with a 1Gbps Ethernet (RJ45) port for a very good reason...

Yea, the PSN network is just far too slow, especially for the ridiculous size of game updates.

Have a 10mbit connection here and PSN will hardly ever download at anything faster than 300Kb/sec. Tried it wired and wireless.

• 9 months later...

As much as I hate resurrection I didn't want to create a new one since I found this one, This problem apparently has been around since 2008 If I can remember. I Just plugged in my PS3 to play Dust 514 and Uncharted 3 Multiplayer. I downloaded both games (about 10 gigs total within 45 min) Yet each game had updates around 150-300 mb each. Both instances the updates took 50 minutes to download. In fact Uncharted 3's update is 156 MB and it was well over 60 min, how in the hell is this still acceptable and not addressed after all these years? It's 7am not even peak hours!

idk why people hate resurrecting old topics if the problem is the same. It is better than making a whole new topic for an existing issue. Anyway:

The only time my downloads are slow is if I am downloading other stuff and I try to update games. I don't have any troubles downloading updates. Are you downloading other **** while tryig to update your games?

God of War Ascensions day 1 patch - 109mb - 54 sec download. Nothing slow for me.

I think it all depends on where you are located and the server that the file is located on. But it does seem pretty relative.

Yea, game updates are still ridiculously slow.

I downloaded Uncharted 3 two days ago. That download was at a constant 1.2 MB per second, which is the max for my connection.

The subsequent update however downloaded at 150KB/Sec immediately afterward. Took over 90 minutes in the end. It's just rubbish.