UK Venue Pro: Good News!

1) the venue pro and the HD7 both use MSDHC cards. I'd assume Dell are using better cards, and/or wrote better drivers.

It's quite possible. But for boot test you'll notice the HD7 also wastes sometime loading that stupid tmobile logo.

If its just down to a better memory card then well the VP has an advantage...the card is in quite an accessible position and doesn't have a VOID sticker (at least according to reports on XDA) so you can quite easily upgrade it to an even faster card. The HD7...however...has it in quite a retarded position and requires you to take part the entire back cover to get to it.

2) the venue pro (apparently) has 256MB of RAM on board. I personally doubt this and I'm waiting to hear it from dell, but still, food for thought.

The amount of RAM (at the moment) has no effect on performance since well there is no multitasking for apps...so you only really have 1 thing running at a time (with push notifications if they're needed).

I actually wonder if the amount of apps installed could have an effect on performance too, since well the HD7 comes with:

- Netflix

- Slacker

- Familyroom

- T-mobile tv

- MyAccount

The Dell venue pro (since it's not sold by T-mobile) only comes with MyAccount

---

Would be interesting to see the VP vs. the Focus since well the Focus uses NAND chips.

On the 256mb vs. 512mb issue:

The response I got when talking to a Dell sales person (who had to refer to his "technical coach") was that the specs that Microsoft was publishing were incorrect and the device is only supposed to have 256 MB of RAM. Personally I think dell needs to get out of the phone business... this has been one of the worst experiences I've ever had with a new device, phone or otherwise (not just talking about the ram here...)

If that is indeed true, I like how Dell is pushing the blame onto Microsoft for this when their own site listed the device as having 512mb.

Clove Update:

Dear Mr Stockdale,

We are contacting you today to update you on the status of your order for the Dell Venue Pro.

We were today due to receive the first UK stock of the Dell Venue Pro.

Unfortunately for circumstances outside our control, the shipment was delayed by Dell. This is now due to arrive next week.

This delay affects everyone in the UK and is not limited to Clove.

We understand that this is frustrating, but the good news is that this delay is not too long.

We thank you for your understanding and can assure you that as soon as stock arrives your order will be dispatched.

The Clove Technology Sales Team.

Another update:

Dell Venue Pro Delayed Until Mid-Feb In UK

Dell Venue Pro, one of the hottest Windows Phone 7 device has been delayed in UK again until Mid of the February and the delay is being caused by a Microsoft software issue with the MMS settings for the carriers. Previously we reported that that the Dell Venue Pro will be with European HSDPA hands will be hitting the Clove UK virtual shelves on the 6th January 2011, due to delays on a “component issue”. Hope we get Dell venue pro this time without any further delay.

Source: Clove UK, WMPowerUser

Dell lying again? How is it that HTC, Samsung, and LG can ship their phones worldwide without any issue...but the Dell Venue Pro can't be shipped to the UK because there's a MMS issue that only seems to bug this phone. I guess Microsoft gave HTC / Samsung / LG different software :rolleyes: Amazing how many problems just seem to only occur on this phone...

It's gotta be said, Dell's inability to ship the venue pro really is ruining its sales in Europe - it could sell damned well, if they had the stock to actually move. But they don't. For me, this means delayed through to February, wooooo -.-

It's gotta be said, Dell's inability to ship the venue pro really is ruining its sales in Europe - it could sell damned well, if they had the stock to actually move. But they don't. For me, this means delayed through to February, wooooo -.-

Agreed. Dell really seem to have messed this up. I'd even say this is one of the worst product releases I've ever come across - first they shipped production models with bugs, then the RAM issue, then the delayed worldwide shipment and now a further delay in the UK. It's almost like they don't want to sell the phone :laugh:

What's strange is all the tough talk from Dell when the product was first announced and the talk of moving their staff off Blackberries to the Venue Pro. What is happening with that? At this stage I think they should be giving their staff phones from Samsung or HTC :shiftyninja:

Agreed. Dell really seem to have messed this up. I'd even say this is one of the worst product releases I've ever come across - first they shipped production models with bugs, then the RAM issue, then the delayed worldwide shipment and now a further delay in the UK. It's almost like they don't want to sell the phone :laugh:

What's strange is all the tough talk from Dell when the product was first announced and the talk of moving their staff off Blackberries to the Venue Pro. What is happening with that? At this stage I think they should be giving their staff phones from Samsung or HTC :shiftyninja:

Haha, truth. I think they'll move over all their BBs to Venue Pros, but eh, Dell don't have 25k Venue Pros to switch to which is kind of ruining their fun :p

Heh, would be nice if Dell could ship me a Venue Pro in the first place :(

Lol well you sure have more patience than me lol...I gave up waiting for one in December. Got tired of logging into my bank account and seeing $600 missing but no phone to play with lol (that and the other issues with the phone).

Lol well you sure have more patience than me lol...I gave up waiting for one in December. Got tired of logging into my bank account and seeing $600 missing but no phone to play with lol (that and the other issues with the phone).

Haha, well, UK consumer rules means they don't get to charge me until they ship, but still, it's testing even my patience. I think the reason's I've stuck with the Venue Pro is because it's especially the device I want. I'd be happy with another WP7, but there would always be the thought at the back of my mind saying 'but it's not the venue pro'. It's also a pretty well priced handset in the UK - the Omnia 7 (which would be my second choice) isn't available carrier-free until the same time as the Venue Pro anyway, and for a bit more. I'm not crazy, honest :)

It's also a pretty well priced handset in the UK - the Omnia 7 (which would be my second choice) isn't available carrier-free until the same time as the Venue Pro anyway, and for a bit more. I'm not crazy, honest

The Venue Pro shipping to UK is carrier-free (ie not sim locked)?

In America Dell is refusing to give anyone the unlock code (and if you call T-Mobile they just tell you to call Dell for it since they aren't the ones selling the phone) regardless of whether you buy it on or off contract..and that was a major deal breaker for me :/ Whenever I return to HK, I need to swap out my US sim for my HK one...otherwise I'll need two phones lol.

Yeah, the Venue Pro that ships to the UK (when it finally ships) will be fully carrier-free, with no sim lock (when purchased as a carrier-free device, of course), although I do believe Orange UK will be also selling the devices on contract, which will likely carry branding, and a SIM lock. Of course, there's the 3G band issue (850mhz vs 900mhz freqs) that limit the usefulness of buying an EU band unlocked handset for use in a country with US bands. I suppose EDGE on any network is better than 3G on no network, however :)

Of course, there's the 3G band issue (850mhz vs 900mhz freqs) that limit the usefulness of buying an EU band unlocked handset for use in a country with US bands. I suppose EDGE on any network is better than 3G on no network, however :)

Haha true. Though I believe the only country that uses the odd GSM/UMTS bands that the US does...is, wait for it...the US! We like to be different :rofl:

That's a pretty large scale rip off considering that it's pretty much based on the same run of the mill hardware as all the other WP7 handsets.

The price? I buy all my phones off contract (contracts just don't work for me since usually I'm only in America for like 5-6 months out of the year). The DVP 16gb is $500, then you throw in sales tax + shipping and it comes upto like $550.

Haha true. Though I believe the only country that uses the odd GSM/UMTS bands that the US does...is, wait for it...the US! We like to be different :rofl:

Bermuda uses the same GSM/UMTS bands as the US as well, despite being a British colony. I found this out the hard way :(

They also have GSM/UMTS and CDMA technology coexisting on a tiny 21 square mile island. Crazy.

The price? I buy all my phones off contract (contracts just don't work for me since usually I'm only in America for like 5-6 months out of the year). The DVP 16gb is $500, then you throw in sales tax + shipping and it comes upto like $550.

Yes, that still seems a bit high to me.

Eh all the WP7 handsets (hell even most smartphones) are similarly priced here (off contract) $450-500 not including sales tax. Now if I were to buy them on contract, it varies from like $0.01 to $200 depending on carrier.

That pricing is in dollars which I don't use personally, but it seems about right for a premium smartphone like the Venue Pro (premium vs a lower end device such as a Mozart for WP7, or really low end, Wildfires/Legends on Android). Certainly, the UK pricing for the Venue Pro (carrier-free) is certainly what I'd expect and it's not unreasonable by any means.

That pricing is in dollars which I don't use personally, but it seems about right for a premium smartphone like the Venue Pro (premium vs a lower end device such as a Mozart for WP7, or really low end, Wildfires/Legends on Android). Certainly, the UK pricing for the Venue Pro (carrier-free) is certainly what I'd expect and it's not unreasonable by any means.

Yeh none of the "lower-end" WP7 devices are sold in the US. We only have the LG Quantum, Samsung Focus, HTC HD7, HTC surround and the Dell Venue Pro. And all of them cost the same lol.

Even Android smartphones cost the same as WP7 ones. Like if I wanted the Vibrant (Samsung Galaxy S variant) its $500 off contract.

Dell Venue Pro coming to Germany, other European countries

According to the::unwired.net, Dell has told CEBIT attendees that they Dell Venue Pro Windows Phone 7 smartphone is coming to Germany, and may also be launched in other European countries.

The handset has been struggling into the market, and still has very low distribution, which makes Dell?s expansion plans somewhat suspect, but the company may finally be in a position to ramp up production and crank out a quality product.

Dell however emphasised that the handset formed part of their enterprise push, and that they were the only company who helped clients upgrade their back-end, e.g. their Sharepoint installation, to be fully compliant with Windows phone 7, an issue we have seen elsewhere.

Source: WMPowerUser

I guess what they forgot to mention was that the device would be coming to Germany in 2011 :rolleyes: Here's a tip Dell, how about sort out getting it released without flaws in the US and the UK and then say you're going to release it in Germany and other European countries?