New Desire rooted with Unrevoked, can I flash ROMs?

SkyDX

Hello Neowin,

I just posted that over at XDA but I figured why not also here :p

It's my second venture in the Android world:

I just purchased a brand new Desire and need a little bit of help because all the searching still left me with a few a questions. First of all my phone info:

HTC Desire, bought today unlocked from a German T-Mobile store, shipped with Froyo 2.2

BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-ON

HBOOT-0.93.0001

MICROP-051d

TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101

RADIO-5.11.05.27

Aug 10 2010,17:52:18

I rooted with the Unrevoked method which was successfull, ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.7 was successfully installed though it mentions:

ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.7

E:Can't find MISC:

E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/command

E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log

Does this mean anything?

I noticed I still have S-ON which means my NAND security is still enabled and my goal is it to flash a MIUI ROM, am I good to go or not?

Please be gentle, I'm new to all this, thanks in advance!

Singh400

I'm unfamiliar with those errors. But as long as the Unrevoked process succeeded. Then you are good to go in my opinion. Try flashing a well known ROM first to see if everything is working as expected. Then try the lesser known ROMs.

Lezard

It means what you do not have #su privi, you really need to rerun the unrevoked process again, having S-ON means your phone must be flashed with a jailbroken firmware everytime.

If you can get a NAND back up you will be fine. So try to flash, but first do a nanbackup

SkyDX

So I just download the .zip of the ROM and let Clockwork do the job? What is the worst that can happen at that point and some ROMs mention a Apps2SD Partition... I'm getting lost already >_<

EDIT: I just saw your reply Lucien, I will google on how I make a NAND backup but shall I try to flash afterwards first or rerun unrEVOked? I saw someone on YouTube flashing MIUI with S-ON but he didn't had Clockwork errors so I'm all confused now...

Lezard

Whenever you go into the recovery menu, are you allowed to do a nandroid back up? some of those firmwards that require a app2sd partition are purely optional, unless you are severely limited by onboard space.

Download the unrevoked and rerun it, but do a nanbackup first...worst that can happen is a nice paper weight but that is 2% of the time. tell me what room you are trying to flash please

SkyDX

Thanks Lucien, I found a backup option in Clockwork but if I try to execute it it gives me:

SD Card space free: 1599mb

Backing up boot...

Error while dumping boot image!

E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log

I'm want to flash MIUI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhRmASmtGKg&feature=related

Another Canuck

SkyDX, use AmonRA Recovery instead of ClockworkMod. It is properly developed for the Desire rather than the "one size fits all" approach of Clockwork.

Download: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=839621

To flash it, in unrEVOked, go to File > Custom recovery... and select the recovery-RA-desire-v2.0.0.img file.

SkyDX

Thanks but I want to confirm something before I do anything, could it be that I spent 410€ on a phone with no custom ROMs?

After a debugging session with some people on IRC, it seems we have found a new hardware revision for the HTC Desire.

Boot your phone in fastboot mode,

this should say something like this in the top line:

BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-ON.

unrEVOked works fine on these devices, meaning it's possible to root, but ClockworkMod recovery does not work on these devices, nor is it possible to use AlphaRev S-OFF on these (yet).

Flashing custom ROMs fails, unable to recover besides RUU'ing these devices.

For now we would advise to flash any HTC 2.10+ RUU, and root it with unrevoked. Nothing else, as this will render your device non-working.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=853583

I have Erasesize 40000 :cry:

Another Canuck

Thanks but I want to confirm something before I do anything, could it be that I spent 410? on a phone with no custom ROMs?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=853583

I have Erasesize 40000 :cry:

Look at the bottom of the post, he created a version of ClockworkMod that will work on your phone.

SkyDX

Look at the bottom of the post, he created a version of ClockworkMod that will work on your phone.

I have seen this Clockwork Mod but if I install this one, will it allow me to safely flash MIUI or not?^^'

SkyDX

Little update, I reran unrEVOked with a new Clockwork version which works and made a Nandroid backup successfully though I'm still S-ON, is it possible to apply a backup with S-ON? If so, am I good to go to try a MIUI ROM now?

Singh400

^ You don't need S-OFF unless the ROM actually says it's a prerequisite. I've flashed plenty of ROMs with my S-ON. And yes, I have successfully restored a backup using Nandroid with S-ON.

SkyDX

Alright, thank you Singh, so you should think I can safely try to flash a ROM with no radio? What's the worst case scenario?

Singh400
Alright, thank you Singh, so you should think I can safely try to flash a ROM with no radio?
No, you should definitely flash the radio recommended for that particular ROM. Some ROMs work better with certain radio. So read up on the ROM before you do anything.
What's the worst case scenario?
It's always that you can brick your device. That's the risk you take when do something/anything that isn't officially supported.
SkyDX

No, you should definitely flash the radio recommended for that particular ROM. Some ROMs work better with certain radio. So read up on the ROM before you do anything.

It's always that you can brick your device. That's the risk you take when do something/anything that isn't officially supported.

Alright, I understand the radio thing but atm I just want to see if I can run MIUI, regardless of performance, having Erasesize 40000 I don't want to do anything that isn't recoverable by a simple Nandroid restore as I have no RUUs to fall back to.

EDIT: This is the ROM I'm after: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9932492&postcount=4070]

It mentions no Radio update so if I flash it and it goes wrong, I can simply tell Clockwork to restore, right?

Singh400

Yes, you should be able to restore your Nandroid backup.

SkyDX

Alright Singh, you have been a great help so far! All I need to figure out now is the Apps2SD partition and I think I'll give it a go. Say do you have any kind of IM? I don't want to bug you but it would be nice to have someone in case of emergency :)

Also, what's the minimum I have to wipe? I know the thread says full wipe but I wanna have minimum brick risk, maximum recover chance^^

Singh400

To create an A2SD partition, just grab ROM Manager and create the partition with it. When prompted select 512MB and 0MB swap file.

And, no. You have to do a full wipe.

Eventually a point comes where you have to take the plunge and do it. There is always a risk factor present.

SkyDX

Thanks again Singh! Flashed eMIUI 0.12.18 today, works like a charm with the matching RIL :)