• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Petition asking for a Worldwide Marketplace

George P    5,813

My link

Many of you probably heard about this already but there's a petition started (up to 412 names so far) to MS to open up the WP7 marketplace worldwide or at least in those countries where phones are for sale. This effects quite a few people, like me, phones are for sale here in Greece for example, but the marketplace isn't supported here yet so that leaves me without the ability to actually buy apps at this point even though I can walk to a store and get a phone.

I know some people are lucky and can fake a US address and zipcode to match their CC and buy apps that way but it seems I'm not one of them since my zipcode doesn't seem to apply to any area in the US and I'm not going to make a new LiveID since the US one I have now I use for Xbox Live etc. So anyone else with this problem, sign the petition and maybe, but not likely, MS will open up the marketplace faster.

capr    36

didn't know about this. that's really stupid. the phone shouldn't be for sale and you shouldn't be buying it without a marketplace... is there a jailbreak type thing you can access and download some stuff?

George P    5,813

The problem isn't with the phone or the OS, it's with the service not accepting your CC if you're not in one of the 17 supported countries. You can connect and download all the free apps and trials you want, it's only when you have to actually buy something that you can't.

If you have a postal code in your area that matches with one in the US or one of the other supported countries you can try and fake it, some people have gotten this to work, but my postal code doesn't seem to have any US ties, I think I found an area in france though, but I dunno. I'll wait and see what I can do later.

insanelyapple    71

They should run only one shop for whole EU ugh...

George P    5,813

They should run only one shop for whole EU ugh...

They should but they don't, *sigh*, I can move my US Xbox Live account over to Greece where I live since they opened it up now but then I lose Zune since that's tied to the same ID. I think the holdup might be because of language, if that's the case they should expand it quick for apps at least even if I can't buy music on it etc.

HawkMan    5,232

MS themselves would have done this if they could, but they need to go through the same process that Apple and Google did. in order to have a marketplace in any country they need to set up support, they need the proper certifications, they need to have the contracts verified as legal in every country.

it will happen, and a petition won't make it happen any faster.

George P    5,813

MS themselves would have done this if they could, but they need to go through the same process that Apple and Google did. in order to have a marketplace in any country they need to set up support, they need the proper certifications, they need to have the contracts verified as legal in every country.

it will happen, and a petition won't make it happen any faster.

Will it make it happen faster, no, but it at least turns into more of a priority for them and really as far as the EU goes I don't think it's that hard to expand it since you're already in the EU for the most part. And if it's about support, MS already does that for it's other wares, how hard is it to just tack on a group to handle any WP7 calls? Honestly I think the only real thing holding it back is native language support on the phone itself and nothing on the marketplace side.