• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

HD7 - How is it?

jakem1    1,610

Also you really can't talk about the phone being a worthwhile upgrade. I mean the hardware on all WP7 devices are exactly the same as the HD2...so really the only difference is the screen and WP7. I got a WP7 device not because I wanted some brand new hardware...I would have gone with the Galaxy S otherwise since it has the fastest mobile processor so far...but simply because I wanted WP7. I mean the Venue Pro is exactly like the HD2 except with a hardware keyboard and an AMOLED screen (if the RAM is actually 512mb that is).

I'm not going to claim its the best WP7 device, personally I feel that the Focus is (I believe Samsung got it right with the NAND memory + microSD and then that screen) but it's a close second for me and nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be. Pretty much the only problem I have with it is the battery life.

Sorry if my comments seem too negative, I don't mean to rubbish the HD7 that much but I just can't get too excited about it. I know from your previous posts that you felt as I do about the HD7 as an upgrade to the HD2 so I was surprised to see that you had bought one. Out of interest, why didn't you get the Focus? Is it because of carrier issues in the US?

I know there's not that much between the current crop of WP7 phones and I largely agree with the objections to the Dell. However, having seen the S-AMOLED screen on the Galaxy S I've got to say that Samsung's offering is the most attractive for me right now. Also, I really like the design of the Omnia 7, it looks and feels great. The only thing that's stopping me getting one at this stage is the 8GB limit on the version that's available here in the UK. My contract expires in March so I'll be keeping a close eye on announcements at MWC and will hope for something that satisfies all my requirements.

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy with your HD7 and glad you are satisfied with it as an upgrade to your HD2. :)

Mr. Gibs    3,865
Sorry if my comments seem too negative, I don't mean to rubbish the HD7 that much but I just can't get too excited about it. I know from your previous posts that you felt as I do about the HD7 as an upgrade to the HD2 so I was surprised to see that you had bought one.

Yeh I mean I still wish HTC would have more with the phone (I mean I only purchased my HD2 like in march) and made it more like the Desire HD (full aluminum case etc)...but well my dad always liked my HD2 so I gave that to him and purchased a HD7 for myself lol.

About the hardware, I can't really complain too much about it since every WP7 device has the same hardware as my HD2 (so really the only things that set it apart are the screens)...sure its a bummer but like I said I upgraded to get WP7 and well I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Out of interest, why didn't you get the Focus? Is it because of carrier issues in the US?

The Focus is on AT&T and I'm on T-mobile...now I don't like AT&T for the following reasons:

1. I don't like contracts, I'm an international student so I return home from time to time and being on a contract would mean I have to be paying for stuff I'm not using. AT&T doesn't have a monthly no-contract plan like T-Mobile does.

2. Since I'm an international student I don't have a SSN....hence AT&T requires me to put down a $1000 deposit, even if I buy the phone at retail price. That's just unacceptable to me, and nor do I have like $1600 to put down in a single day :/

3. AT&T rate plans cost more and only give me 2GB data

4. Where I live T-Mobile seems to give me better reception

Verizon and Sprint are completely out since they are CDMA (well LTE phones are supposed to come out later) and Hong Kong is GSM so I'm stuck on T-mobile.

If the Focus / Omnia 7 came on T-Mobile, I would have picked it up in a heartbeat...no questions about it lol.

I've got to say that Samsung's offering is the most attractive for me right now. Also, I really like the design of the Omnia 7, it looks and feels great. The only thing that's stopping me getting one at this stage is the 8GB limit on the version that's available here in the UK. My contract expires in March so I'll be keeping a close eye on announcements at MWC and will hope for something that satisfies all my requirements.

Doesn't the Omnia 7 also have an accessible microSD slot? If so you could always expand the memory when Sandisk finally releases those "supported" microSDHC cards.

Also if you want more space purely for music, there's a very nice free app called Jukefly. Basically you install a small program on your desktop/laptop and as long as your computer is on you can access the music on it from your phone (obviously you need to have 3G). The app isn't flawless though, it won't play music in the background and there's noway to search your music collection yet.

Mockingbird    2,914

For anyone still wondering about the screen:

HTC HD7 7: TFT-LCD

HTC 7 Trophy: SLCD

HTC 7 Mozart: SLCD

HTC 7 Surround: SLCD

And yes, it's the same screen on the HTC HD2, HTC Evo 4G, and the HTC Desire HD. There's no 4.3" SLCD.

Mr. Gibs    3,865

Well there's so many conflicting reports that nobody knows what to believe lol. pdadb has it listed as an SLCD, some people claim its SLCD, others claim its TFT.

HTC hasn't said for certain what panel they're using..and hence the confusion :/

Edit: Ah just saw your edit lol.

Mockingbird    2,914

Well there's so many conflicting reports that nobody knows what to believe lol. pdadb has it listed as an SLCD, some people claim its SLCD, others claim its TFT.

HTC hasn't said for certain what panel they're using..and hence the confusion :/

4.3" SLCD is not being produce.

Mr. Gibs    3,865

4.3" SLCD is not being produce.

Yeh I saw that bit after I my post got added lol.

Mockingbird    2,914

Yeh I saw that bit after I my post got added lol.

Well, I though you were going to edit your post. :-)

Anyhow, if it's a screen that big, don't expect SLCD.

Not a problem really; my friends are perfectly happy with their HTC HD7.

Mockingbird    2,914

Doesn't the Omnia 7 also have an accessible microSD slot? If so you could always expand the memory when Sandisk finally releases those "supported" microSDHC cards.

No. That's the Samsung Focus

neo158    281

HTC 7 Trophy: SLCD

HTC 7 Mozart: SLCD

HTC 7 Surround: SLCD

And yes, it's the same screen on the HTC HD2, HTC Evo 4G, and the HTC Desire HD. There's no 4.3" SLCD.

That could mean that the HD7 has an LED backlit LCD, as the colour reproduction seems to be really good for a standard LCD, with no grey areas at the edges where backlight bleeds into the display.

Calum    820

I played around with the HD7 before opting for the Mozart. I found the screen on the Moxzrt to be more vibrant, while not as large.

enroh    406

So I read all four pages....good reading for the most part and I thought I would add my 2 cents CDN. I switched from my iPhone3G to the Focus. I had used the iPhone4 and the Galaxy S here in Canada and I wanted the "S" but there was no stock for existing customers. Anyways the Focus was released and I decided to give WP7 a shot. Worst that would happen is I hated it and would return the phone and go back to my iPhone3G.

I loved my iPhone3G (as long as it wasnt running iOS4). It was fast enough, did all I needed it to do and the battery just about supported MY (important note here - my usage means how I use my phone on a daily basis not if I played MP3s all day til it died and wondered why it was dead in 2 hours) usage. FTR I always have bluetooth on, WiFi, location services etc.

The Focus came as an 8GB with about 6GB usable or so (im trying to recall here but its early) but I dropped a 16GB card in it anyways (I rarely used ther 8GB anyways on my iPhone) and yes I did my reading on XDA to see which cards were working and no I have not had any of the issues others have had :)

The phone looks stunning! Its nice and thin, and VERY light (much lighter in my pocket than my iPhone3G). Though the back is plastic and making it lighter I am 10% concerned about its durability. (I am waiting on Otter to make a case for it).

I love the Super-AMOLED screen and the size is great! Everything is so vibrant and "pretty" - anything I look at just jumps out of the screen. Now about the banding. I didn't even know it was a problem until I read a thread on here a couple weeks ago. I downloaded the image and took a look and sure enough there it was. Did it matter to me? No, and I will tell you why. Its kind of like taking Kate Beckinsale back to a hotel room for a good rogering when you see that she has a small ugly mole just to the left of her "special place"...but you don't care because the rest is all so wonderful. You only notice it if you are looking for it! (On a side note I hope its a fixable thing and for me comes under a nice to have).

The camera is excellent. Is it the best out there? Not by a long-shot. Does it replace my point/click? Yes.

The volume is excellent. Its nice and loud though the back speaker is tinny but then its a crap speaker *lol* - I would like to add that it would be nice to have HTCs Sound Enhancer app *looks at Samsung*

Does it have misses? Sure - I think they should have added cut/copy/paste in right away. Apple didn't. For me its not a HUGE loss but damn I needed it twice yesterday *lol*. This will come I am sure.

Another miss is Zune. *ugh* I thought iTunes was bad. iTunes is so much better than Zune right now. If I have an MKV and convert it myself to YOUR resolution, and supported codecs MS why do you STILL degrade my video to a point where it looks like crap from Youtube lo-res streams! Not to mention losing audio/video sync. Speaking of Zune...

they really should have allowed local Outlook sync as well as Exchange/Outlook sync. I have no issues using Live as a primary but let me use my Outlook please? Like learning to drive a Porsche you persevere and I currently have to copy contacts/calendar info in Outlook to my Hotmail account which syncs to the cloud and then my phone. Ugh is all I have to say about that.

I love this phone and it fits my lifestyle great. I loved the iPhone4 and I could say many great things about it but after using a 4.3" screen I cannot use an iPhone. I loved the "S" (same phone different OS) but like WP7 it has hits and misses. I wish I could afford all 3 and drop my SIM card in whichever I feel like using that day but alas no. Am I happy? Yes. Could I be happier? Yes. But then I think everyone should be saying that about their phone to be honest because I have used the "big 3" (sorry RIM you need to do something quick or die) and none of them are perfect.

neo158    281

I played around with the HD7 before opting for the Mozart. I found the screen on the Moxzrt to be more vibrant, while not as large.

That's only because the Mozart uses an SLCD display, no-one knows for sure what the HD7 uses as HTC haven't said anything and there are conflicting reports from different sites.

Calum    820

That's only because the Mozart uses an SLCD display, no-one knows for sure what the HD7 uses as HTC haven't said anything and there are conflicting reports from different sites.

Yep :) I just thought I'd let him know that I found the screen more vibrant on the Mozart.