• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

System shuts down during Windows XP install

Electric Jolt    12

The system shuts down during XP install. And it won't turn on with the power button or anything, I have to unplug the computer and then plug it back in and then use the power button to turn it on. I'm running Windows XP right now and I'm typing this on Chrome, so why does does this problem occur in the XP install? It happens during the EULA, and if I accept it and tell it repair quick enough, it happens later in the middle of repairing the Windows XP install... It did this on another copy of the XP install, and based on what it does (have to remove power completely so you can press the power button) it seems like some kind of hardware issue.

What do you guys think?

LiquidSolstice    115

The system shuts down during XP install. And it won't turn on with the power button or anything, I have to unplug the computer and then plug it back in and then use the power button to turn it on. I'm running Windows XP right now and I'm typing this on Chrome, so why does does this problem occur in the XP install? It happens during the EULA, and if I accept it and tell it repair quick enough, it happens later in the middle of repairing the Windows XP install... It did this on another copy of the XP install, and based on what it does (have to remove power completely so you can press the power button) it seems like some kind of hardware issue.

What do you guys think?

Is this a desktop or a laptop? It sounds to me like it's not getting enough power from its power supply, and power intensive operations like installing an operating system are taking it down.

carmatic    54

maybe your PSU isnt powerful enough to have the hard disk and the cdrom drive running at the same time

fhpuqrgrpgvirzhpujbj    46

I had this issue while installing XP on my old laptop a long time ago and it was caused by the installer not properly controlling the fan leading to internal overheating. Mounting the laptop over a fan while it installed worked for me.

c.grz    380

Have you timed it from the moment you press the power button? Does it stay on for the same length of time everytime? Could be heat related.

Electric Jolt    12

Its a desktop I recently put together. I took it apart I was going to put something better in but didn't. Also the nForce2 fan isn't spinning, I don't know if it ever did.

Electric Jolt    12

bump

Singh400    184

Hardware related probably, due to overheating. Try improving ventilation.

Hum    6,933

Is the BIOS up-to-date ? [flashed]

Is the BIOS set to 'Plug-N-Play O/S' ?

nully    1

You may have to disable ahci in bios.