• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac OS X Users: WP7?

CrimsonRedMk    0

Considering getting a Windows Phone, but I'm stuck in-between a rock and a hard place it seems because I use Mac OS X. The connector software just pulls iTunes songs to the phone, but I really, really like the Zune software and subscription (I'm on the 14-day trial on a Bootcamp installation, but I really can't work in Windows (I need Coda, solid UNIX terminal, etc., so let's not make this a Windows/Mac flamewar).

Are there any music subscription services for the Mac that would sync to the Zune?

Can I hope to manage my Zune Pass entirely on the Windows Phone, not using a connector at all?

Is there any hope that Windows Phone Connector will one day evolve into Zune for Mac? (A long shot.)

If you have a Mac and WP7, help out a curious, possible-switcher (from Android) please! I really fell in love with the Metro UI while shopping around.

grant0r    0

have you thought about trying VMware Fusion / Parralels 6?

Mr. Gibs    3,865
Can I hope to manage my Zune Pass entirely on the Windows Phone, not using a connector at all?

I do not have an active Zune Pass (hoping to get it again when I get my paycheck) but I am able to purchase and download songs through the Zune marketplace on my HD7. So I assume you should be able to do the same with a Zune Pass.

Alternatively you could what grant0r suggested and just use Parrallels / VMWare.

Prince Charming    163

I'd suggest sticking to Parallels/VMWare as above. It's got a bit of a footprint, but it's by far the easiest and most effective way to bring you the best of both worlds, as it were. You can manage your Zune pass on device - downloading items off Marketplace with a Zune pass is totally doable, but for management the full blown Zune client is best.

I don't know about other music sub services that would sync to the Zune. There's a last.fm app wiht streaming, but services are going to be thin on the ground - in order to support an all-you-can-eat music buffet service like Zune, the media has to be DRM'd, and as such they're usually platform tied services.

WP7 Connector may one day evolve into a fully blown Zune client on OS X - it is a revenue stream, and opening up that revenue stream is a good thing. With OFM2011, you've seen that MS can produce some fine Mac software (fun fact: after Apple, MS are the second largest Apple developer of software), and I certainly wouldn't rule it out. I was suprised that there was even Mac support at launch, and I'd see it as a sign of full Zune to come.

Stick with VMWare or Parallels on OS X (or Virtualbox for a free alternative), it's absolutely worth it. WP7 & Zune's interface is fresh, innovative, and the media experience is just fantastic imo.

dewaaz    0
Stick with VMWare or Parallels on OS X (or Virtualbox for a free alternative), it's absolutely worth it. WP7 & Zune's interface is fresh, innovative, and the media experience is just fantastic imo.

Am a Mac user myself, and considering going the WP7 route. As MS Pandya said, a virtual machine will serve you well. If you do use one, I definitely recommend Parallels over any other (Virtualbox, VMWare, etc.) - Parallels has a mode called 'coherence' which makes your Windows app appear as if it is a native Mac app! VMWare also has this functionality, but doesn't go as far as Parallels (I tried both, and Parallels made the experience much more 'transparent').

My 2 cents. Let us know how you go :)

neo158    281

Another vote for Parallels from me..... a PC user!!!!

Coherence mode works in a similar way to Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode on Windows 7.

Just out of interest what WP7 devices are you guys looking at?

.Neo    1,834
Are there any music subscription services for the Mac that would sync to the Zune?

Spotify is supposedly coming to Windows Phone 7. Not sure if it's supported in your country though.

Is there any hope that Windows Phone Connector will one day evolve into Zune for Mac? (A long shot.)

Nobody here can answer that question, but knowing Microsoft probably not.

Mockingbird    2,914

Yes, I don't think many people realize this, but you can download songs using Zune Pass directly to your WP7 device without Zune Software.

"To download a song or album with Zune Pass, tap and hold on the item and choose Download from the pop-up menu. (Song downloading is straightforward. To download an album, you must first select that album and then tap and hold on the album art to get to the pop-up menu.)"

Look at this video: http://www.wpcentral.com/how-get-zune-pass-work-on-the-go-windows-phone-7

CrimsonRedMk    0

The VMWare/Parallels way is way too bloated for a piece of music software since all of Windows has to also sit in RAM as well, slowing down everything.

Prince Charming    163

The VMWare/Parallels way is way too bloated for a piece of music software since all of Windows has to also sit in RAM as well, slowing down everything.

Indeed, it's a lot of RAM overhead virtualizing an entire OS, but I don't know about slowing down everything. If the host has 4GB of RAM, it's a non-issue.

Shadrack    601

True, but do you really need to have it syncing all of the time? I don't know what all you need to sync other than music, but most PIM stuff sync's wirelessly with your server (exchange activesync or whatever) if I'm not mistaken. I only sync my phone (iPhone) to my computer once a week and that is primarily for backup purposes.

It really isn't possible to enjoy Zune Pass on your Mac, I'm afraid... Shame.

Awhile ago (OS X Tiger days) Microsoft had their own Windows Media Player for Mac that they supported. It was a steaming pile (and people say Quicktime/iTunes for Windows suck...). They abandoned it and now a 3rd party makes a plugin for Quicktime to get Windows Media content. That doesn't bode well for a Zune for Mac release.

Indeed, it's a lot of RAM overhead virtualizing an entire OS, but I don't know about slowing down everything. If the host has 4GB of RAM, it's a non-issue.

VMWare Fusion KILLS my Mac OS X performance. Windows runs great within VMWare, but at the same time the entirety of OS X and software running within takes a huge performance hit. I'm on a late-2009 MBP w/ 4GB of ram and VMWare set to use 2GB.