• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Good DSLR for a beginner

cashman    7

Hello,

I am looking to take a camera course,

Out of interest, is this course an evening one or full time day one? I'd like to take a course too but can't find any in my local area.

Argote    73

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question, but do most, if not all, DSLR camera shoot video also?

For example, I'm considering: http://www.amazon.co...93753881&sr=1-9

Only the most recent DSLRs shoot video, the A290 you linked to does NOT have video. Sony DSLRs that do are the A33, A55, A560 and A580 (don't confuse the first two with the A330 and A550 which don't shoot video either).

spikey_richie    290

Second hand Olympus E500 from eBay would sort you right out :)

azz0r_wugg    1

Out of interest, is this course an evening one or full time day one? I'd like to take a course too but can't find any in my local area.

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/london : Learn a New Skill to Stay Ahead in Today?s World with One of Four New Digital Media Masterclasses with Academy Class for ?49 instead of ?197. Click 'Buy Now' or See Below for Options.

10 - 5

However this just came up today, I found loads on google by just searching Digital Photography Course +London

torrentthief    313

get yourself a 2nd hand Canon 400d, you can probably get 1 of those for ?200-280 on ebay.

game_over    802

whats the cheapest one could possibly spend on a DSLR thats worth having?

azz0r_wugg    1

So I went into Jessops today.

I have to say I was tempted to get the Canon 1000D after all the reviews and advice, but I really didn't like using it in store. I have long fingers and round my finger had to be claw like to take a picture. I also found the preset wheel difficult to turn. The menu system seemed fast, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to view through the screen (live view im told)..

Whereas the Sony A390 I found comfortable to use, the menus werent so great but the actual hardware felt right and the pictures I took looked great, though it did seem to get stuck in a complete blur, but I'm sure thats something I'll learn to fix.

I'm finding it very difficult to decide. The guy in store was helpful but honest about his view, basically hes on the train that many are, where Nikon and Canon are content and have a great reputation while Sony are taking risks but still arent established in the market. He said he'd loyal to Canon and that would be his advice to me.

On one hand I liked both but its just so difficult to choose.

He also mentioned that the 1000D processor is slow and I'd hve to rest it on a tripod to get a great shot, whereas the Sony would be better at point and click as its extremly quick.

Not sure what todo. Also, thanks for the second hand advice, but honestly I've been burnt in the past and don't want someones camera, I want a new one.

Argote    73

I may be a bit biased since I shoot Sony, but out of the 1000D and the A390, I'd go with the A390, the 1000D is lower specced and older.

neo158    297

I would go for the one that feels right for you, if it's the Sony A390 that felt more comfortable to use then go for it.

At the end of the day, YOU are the one who is going to be using it, not the guy in the shop and not the rest of us here in this thread.

azz0r_wugg    1

Hello! Got the canon 1000D. ?400 with a bag and 4gb memory. Bit expensive but everywhere was sold out and the owner was very helpful!

Been playing with it, have lots to learn. Hoping a firmware update makes it easier to switch between live view.

neo158    297

Hello! Got the canon 1000D. ?400 with a bag and 4gb memory. Bit expensive but everywhere was sold out and the owner was very helpful!

Been playing with it, have lots to learn. Hoping a firmware update makes it easier to switch between live view.

Nice One, good to hear you got the camera for you, I would recommend reading Digital Camera Magazine, it's been a big help to me as it has taught me more about the settings in a couple of issues than learning about them myself.

.bin    40

I jsut got a Canon EOS 350D with a 18-55m lens as well as a 75-300mm lens thrown in. With a couple of storage cards as well.

All up cost me ?261.00

I went the silver body because I think it would look better.

I went with the Canon because I heard it's better than the D40, but we'll see down the track.

Argote    73

I jsut got a Canon EOS 350D with a 18-55m lens as well as a 75-300mm lens thrown in. With a couple of storage cards as well.

All up cost me ?261.00

I went the silver body because I think it would look better.

I went with the Canon because I heard it's better than the D40, but we'll see down the track.

Enjoy it and share the results. The 350D might be several years old but the kit you got seems fairly priced and it can still produce very nice images.

.bin    40

Enjoy it and share the results. The 350D might be several years old but the kit you got seems fairly priced and it can still produce very nice images.

Thanks, will do, never owned a DSLR before so I'm sure I'll be asking you guys questions all of the time and asking for criticism.

crawling_nanny    0

Hello,

I am looking to take a camera course, a requirement I've noticed is a DSLR that has RAW capabilities.

Could anyone advise me what a good camera for a beginner would be? I'm looking to spend between ?150 - ?300.

There are a few on Amazon that take my eye, but I'm not sure whats best. Ideally I would like a LCD and some automatic settings to aid me.

Many thanks.

One beginner to another. I went for a Nikon D3000. I got an extra year of warrenty free of charge and periodic newsletter from Nikon posting mini-guides on how to get the best out of the camera