About to go fully Ubuntu

Stonkwell Bogtrotter

I have noticed I am no longer in need of Windows. I do not need to use iTunes any more due to me getting an HTC Hero Android phone. I only use Windows for the net etc, and I can use my finance program, "AceMoney" within Wine. Dropbox is also fully supported in Ubuntu, so I feel that with a new year I should do a complete format and re-install of Ubuntu 10.10x64.

Wish me luck people. I'm going in.....

ckempo

I have noticed I am no longer in need of Windows. I do not need to use iTunes any more due to me getting an HTC Hero Android phone. I only use Windows for the net etc, and I can use my finance program, "AceMoney" within Wine. Dropbox is also fully supported in Ubuntu, so I feel that with a new year I should do a complete format and re-install of Ubuntu 10.10x64.

Wish me luck people. I'm going in.....

Fair play, good luck. My wife is completely moving to Ubuntu on her netbook as well at some point in the new year (when I have time to sort it). If there's nothing that ties you to Windows (never heard of AceMoney but pleased it's wine-compatible), go for it.

Farstrider

Cool stuff! "Break A Leg" as they say in the movies! :yes:

Flawed

You wont need luck. Linux has everything you'll need ;) Plus you get free updates for life. No need to worry about buying an OS upgrade like in Windows. My father uses cashbook complete in wine also, and it works flawlessly :D

If you do have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I and others are more than willing to help you make the final transition away from the tyranny of Windows :ninja:

• Like 1
rwx

Good luck :) I admire your brave move. If you really mean this, please keep us posted about your experience. Despite my nick name, I am a full on Windows 7 user. I am too picky, that's me! May be a perfectionist?

Warning, ranting ahead.

I have tried Linux *desktop* but keep getting back to Windows. I don't like the latency time of the UI - the speed the widgets redraw on the screen when moving toolbars, splitter bars, resizing windows all seem sluggish to me even with latest and greatest nVidia drivers, the over sized and out of proportion widgets in dialog boxes, the non-user friendly experience of GNOME and KDE for example you can't even drag/drop an icon to the panel without manually re-adjusting all icon spacing to ensure the gap between each icon on the panel is equal (GNOME). KDE? "Kind of works" but most of the time the space is not allocated automatically when I drag/hover an icon over the panel - unlocked panel. I tried adjusting the height of the panel a few times (in KDE, VirtualBox latest SuSE) and I got the crash handler. I think this is a SuSE problem though. Anyway, funny thing is, for me, I tried distro after distro after distro after distro since 2000 and always the same problems and annoyances...

Have you even noticed if you have a window such as a media player in front of a file manager window, when the media player window is on top of the file manager window and you click on a file icon in the file manager to drag it onto the media player, the media player window gets behind hiding itself behind the file manager! This is not right. The media player window should only go behind when you click on an empty area in the file manager. As a I said, am I a perfectionist or am I just too used to the Windows way of doing things? Also when you highlight text in a text field and move the mouse outside the text field while still holding the left mouse button, when you try to continue to highlight the text outside the text field, the highlighting of the text does not get updated....

Well if these people want hard core Windows users to switch over to Linux, they better start behaving like Windows otherwise 2011 will be just another average year for the Linux desktop. I am glad Cannonical is trying out different and new ideas. Let's see what happens.

• Like 2
Knife Party

^ jah, great story , but how does this help the OP? :/

@OP shout for program recommendations!

+John Teacake

I did the move as well. Ubuntu 64bit. Was very impressed with it. Most major software programs now have a linux element. Truecrypt, Vlc Player, Vuze, Google Chrome, iPlayer etc etc. However I had it working fine with a old 19" Sony Monitor that I borrowed back off my old man because I needed a monitor. It looked great even on VGA. I then got myself a 24" Monitor and I am not impressed to say the least. The ATI drivers work fantastic on Windows, Turn on Overscan get a perfect 1080p picture. Can I hell as manage to get it working on Linux. Everytime I install the latest ATI driver I just get thrown to a console command after a reboot. Thats the only pain I have with it at the moment. As I found my self using Windows Less and Less, There are some great Linux Alternatives by the way I cant stand the black lines round the picture in my new monitor so I am back on Windows for the time been until someone can point me in the right direction how to install the latest ATI drivers and the CCC so I can turn on Overscan support for my monitor, Rant over.

I did the move as well. Ubuntu 64bit. Was very impressed with it. Most major software programs now have a linux element. Truecrypt, Vlc Player, Vuze, Google Chrome, iPlayer etc etc. However I had it working fine with a old 19" Sony Monitor that I borrowed back off my old man because I needed a monitor. It looked great even on VGA. I then got myself a 24" Monitor and I am not impressed to say the least. The ATI drivers work fantastic on Windows, Turn on Overscan get a perfect 1080p picture. Can I hell as manage to get it working on Linux. Everytime I install the latest ATI driver I just get thrown to a console command after a reboot. Thats the only pain I have with it at the moment. As I found my self using Windows Less and Less, There are some great Linux Alternatives by the way I cant stand the black lines round the picture in my new monitor so I am back on Windows for the time been until someone can point me in the right direction how to install the latest ATI drivers and the CCC so I can turn on Overscan support for my monitor, Rant over.

Flawed

Well if these people want hard core Windows users to switch over to Linux, they better start behaving like Windows

Don't you get it? People switch to Linux to get away from the dumbed down, proprietary windows lock-in. Why on earth would they want that behaviour all over again :omg:

As for the rest you posted, meh. It's the same old tripe that comes out of the Windows camp every year. We've heard it all before ad nauseum..

rwx

Don't you get it? People switch to Linux to get away from the dumbed down, proprietary windows lock-in. Why on earth would they want that behaviour all over again :omg:

As for the rest you posted, meh. It's the same old tripe that comes out of the Windows camp every year. We've heard it all before ad nauseum..

That is exactly my point, people tend to oversee/ignore/not pay attention to usability issues that matter. I am only providing feedback :)

Flawed

Can I hell as manage to get it working on Linux. Everytime I install the latest ATI driver I just get thrown to a console command after a reboot.

Xorg is probably using the old monitor settings (refresh rate, resolution, bit depth etc). Try regenerating it:

sudo aticonfig --initial

or just:

sudo aticonfig

or:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo aticonfig --initial

I haven't used the ati config tools for a while, so you might need to use some variation of that.

Thats the only pain I have with it at the moment. As I found my self using Windows Less and Less, There are some great Linux Alternatives by the way I cant stand the black lines round the picture in my new monitor so I am back on Windows for the time been until someone can point me in the right direction how to install the latest ATI drivers and the CCC so I can turn on Overscan support for my monitor, Rant over.

Well, if you are having problems with the proprietary driver, you could always try the open source radeonhd or the default xserver driver.

.Neo
Well if these people want hard core Windows users to switch over to Linux, they better start behaving like Windows otherwise 2011 will be just another average year for the Linux desktop.

If people want Linux (or Mac OS X for that matter) to behave like Windows, simply stick to Windows.

• Like 2
Flawed

That is exactly my point, people tend to oversee/ignore/not pay attention to usability issues that matter. I am only providing feedback :)

My point was that it's unfounded. Sorry if that was in anyway ambiguous.

Quattrone

Ubuntu is great for new beginners but do not expect to act 100% free of problems, specially with wifi drivers and some sound cards. It still a pain in the ass in Ubuntu 10.10.

thechronic

Ubuntu is a great Operating System and if you honestly feel you can switch with no problem then go for it. :) Personally i dual boot and i doubt that will change.

Stonkwell Bogtrotter

Well, I've been using Ubuntu for a while now. There are still a few very sFirefoxmall minor niggles I have, but not enough for me to not use it. I was only really using Windows for iTunes, but as I said, I now have an HTC Hero with Android so no need for it now.

I used Firefox in Win7, of which I also use in Ubuntu.

I used AceMoney in Win7, of which I also use in Ubuntu via Wine.

I used Dropbox in Win7, of which I also use in Ubuntu.

I used WLM with Facebook chat in Win7, now I use Empathy in Ubuntu.

For music I used to use winamp in Win7, and use various ones in Ubuntu. (Still havent quite found anything to beat winamp.)

I used VLC for videos in Win7, of which I also use in Ubuntu.

so as you see, there is no real reason now to keep a duel boot anymore. :)

Detection

I have Ubuntu 10.10 on a system in the bedroom that I use occasionally - but Windows is on my main PC

Laptop Dual Boots with Windows 7 and Jolicloud (Love the iPad feel of the apps layout)

ThunderThor

About 2 years ago I wanted to learn more linux so I was dual booting with Windows and Linux. Doing this I found I rarely booted into Linux for long periods of time. I made the decision to just wipe my machine and fully go Ubuntu to force myself to use Linux every day. I did this for about a year until Windows 7 came out, then I installed that since I got a copy. I ran Windows 7 for about 5 months until my laptop died and I purchased my Mac. I liked Ubuntu..very easy to use.

+stereopixels

It's a great move if you can do it - I would love to only ever boot Linux but unfortunately I'm a .net developer and I play a lot of PC games; Mono isn't quite there yet, and not every game works under Wine, so I have to stick to dual booting for now sad.gif

Knife Party

Well, I've been using Ubuntu for a while now. There are still a few very sFirefoxmall minor niggles I have, but not enough for me to not use it. I was only really using Windows for iTunes, but as I said, I now have an HTC Hero with Android so no need for it now.

I used Firefox in Win7, of which I also use in Ubuntu.

I used AceMoney in Win7, of which I also use in Ubuntu via Wine.

I used Dropbox in Win7, of which I also use in Ubuntu.

I used WLM with Facebook chat in Win7, now I use Empathy in Ubuntu.

For music I used to use winamp in Win7, and use various ones in Ubuntu. (Still havent quite found anything to beat winamp.)

I used VLC for videos in Win7, of which I also use in Ubuntu.

so as you see, there is no real reason now to keep a duel boot anymore. :)

for audio -> give Banshee, Exaile, Amarok, Foonix a go (Although nothing compares to Winamp/foobar in Windows, but hey its something different)

Also, head on over to omgubuntu.co.uk to check out new program releases, HQ themes, icons etc.

Also, give chrome a try if you want as a browser, Docky, play with compiz etc

have fun!

OOOOOOOO

And yet, Linux GUI's are looking more and more like Windows every release ;)

Sorry, but Windows is not dumbed down at all. If it is, then by default, every new Linux release 'dumbs down' a little more too. Linux gives you lots of control at the back end. So does Windows. You just need to know how to do it. But then again, you do in Linux too.

• Like 1
tomjol

If people want Linux (or Mac OS X for that matter) to behave like Windows, simply stick to Windows.

Spot on. As a regular user of all three, I'm always amazed that people expect a new OS to work exactly as their old one does.

soldier1st

one of the reasons i went to ubuntu is because windows 7 did not tell me one of my drives was about to die so i lost everything as i had no warning but linux gives you a warning but if someone could point me to something similar for windows as i have games on windows which i do play but because i dual boot i can't but i don't like rebooting often and i'm so used to having everything on 1 pc, on linux i am having issues like horizontal lines in videos including youtube and i can't seem to fix it even though i went through the ubuntu forums, also my online flash games play very slow on linux but not on windows(i play like 4 flash based games at a time which i know that flash is weak on linux)also there are some apps i use but the way it is for now i have to use a vm which can be a pain, also when i play audio the players skip alot but it did not happen in windows, so should i move to back to windows or stick to linux?

Growled

If Ubuntu does what you need, use it. I wish you the best of luck. It is a good OS. I prefer Mint, but there's not enough difference to argue about. :)

• Like 1
Flawed

one of the reasons i went to ubuntu is because windows 7 did not tell me one of my drives was about to die so i lost everything as i had no warning but linux gives you a warning but if someone could point me to something similar for windows as i have games on windows which i do play but because i dual boot

Windows does have the chkdsk utility which can be run manually from the cli. Of course that only checks the area of the disk where the windows partition is. Bad sectors are usually an indicator of a failing drive. Although some disks can continue function fine with a small number of bad sectors. Most file systems record this information in their journals, and then ring-fence them off from the rest of the partition.

i can't but i don't like rebooting often and i'm so used to having everything on 1 pc

Which games? A lot of popular games run very well in wine.

on linux i am having issues like horizontal lines in videos including youtube and i can't seem to fix it even though i went through the ubuntu forums, also my online flash games play very slow on linux but not on windows(i play like 4 flash based games at a time which i know that flash is weak on linux)also there are some apps i use but the way it is for now i have to use a vm which can be a pain, also when i play audio the players skip alot but it did not happen in windows

Sounds like a video driver issue. What chip/card do you have; lspci | grep VGA

Flash has always been quite ugly. Even on a speedy system, you can get video tearing, poor performance etc. However in this case it's quite possible that it's the graphics chip compatibility. What driver are you using? proprietary or open source? If you want to watch youtube videos, I suggest using the default Totem Movie Player, which can be found in the Applications->Sound and Video menu. It has a side bar where you can search for and watch videos from youtube without using flash. That should help for now.

Audio skipping again could be due to software rendering instead of accelerated rendering: glxinfo | grep rendering.

so should i move to back to windows or stick to linux?

It sounds to me like the problems you are having are due to hardware compatibility mostly. Try running those commands I gave you, then either message me the results or post them here.

ichi

And yet, Linux GUI's are looking more and more like Windows every release ;)

Other than the glossy stuff and the obnoxious menu in KDE, not really, although fortunately you can still use other WMs like fluxbox or e17.

Anyway at least no matter what Gnome or KDE look like, the functionality is still there: alt+dragging windows, alt+middle click resize, rolling up, being able to write on windows that are not on top, window grouping...