• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Gerowen    1,244

Got a Wii just for this game, it's really cool so far.

Slammers    114

Nice, make sure you get Mario Galaxy 2 and Donkey Kong Country even if you get nothing else!

+warwagon    13,708

Got a Wii just for this game, it's really cool so far.

I just got the game now too and i'm about 1 hour in and I'm bored out of my ****ing mind. Basically it just turned to night and i'm following this ghost around. Soooo boring!

+Chsoriano    137

I just got the game now too and i'm about 1 hour in and I'm bored out of my ****ing mind. Basically it just turned to night and i'm following this ghost around. Soooo boring!

Yeah, it is boring towards the beginning, especially if you're a Zelda veteran. However, trust me... at the end of the game, during and immediately following the final battle, you will be glad you played it.

Jose_49    1,105

I also got the Wii for this game (although I've managed to play mario kart, super paper mario, and super smash bros.). This was my 7th Zelda iteration I've played so far (Wind Waker > A Link to the Past > Four Swords > Twilight Princess > Ocarina of Time > Majora's Mask > Skyward Sword).

And from all I had played I can say this game did ok. I was looking forward to the Gamespot score so I got pretty disappointed when I saw the 7.5.

Gladly, after reading the review, I understood the reviewer didn't know how to play, and gave a mediocre score to the game (in comparison with its predecessors). I, as a Zelda fanboy, didn't care, and went forward with its purchase.

I was playing it happily, each time liking it more and more, but then, it happened: Recycling. For the first time ever in a Zelda game, I've experienced what I've came to call "excessive recycling". Recycling is a technique in which developers of a game tend to use the same part of the game over and over, to make the game longer. This game used it too much for my own taste.

SPOILER ALERT (BELOW) (Need to finish the game to read it)

In Skyward Sword it happened frequently. Each of the maps, you would visit the exact part, at least three times (instead of the always two in previous Zelda games), and four with Faron Woods. There were some I really liked, and others I didn't. But generally speaking, I disliked it more than I liked it.

The one I hated the most was when you were asked to find the remaining pieces of the Ballad of Goddess. I could understand that you needed to find the remaining parts of the songs, but not in the way they did. Why couldn?t they make it as OoT (Ocarina of Time) in which you traveled to a distant time and retrieve the song from an altered land (They could have come up with something (It does not justify enough that lands were not made yet) since you actually travelled to a distant time) , or make the map bigger as it was with Twilight Princess (They don?t have an excuse there, Twilight Princess consumes more power and space than Skyward Sword). But no, let?s reuse the same map with some minuscule modifications so the player feels that it?s still something new and fresh.

SPOILER ART (ABOVE) (Need to finish the game to read it)

No. I have not finished the game yet. I was killed by the last boss and decided to rearm myself. I?m looking for a stronger shield and all the pieces of heart + doing some side missions.

Is the game still a good buy? Yes it is. If you can overcome the recycled part then you are good to go.

Solid Knight    517

There are many good spots but unfortunately I feel this game is blighted with lazily thought out objectives and tasks.

+Chsoriano    137

Is the game still a good buy? Yes it is. If you can overcome the recycled part then you are good to go.

That's a good point, I forgot to mention that. It is definitely the one big negative (-) of the game. I too was disappointed in the amount of recycled environments. Fortunately, they varied some things enough to help, but there were definitely parts of the game that felt too familiar.

+warwagon    13,708

So I finally made it to the ground. Walked around zapped something with my sword and unlocked a door, and can FINALLY save. SO BORED!!!!!!

I also "played" the Twilight Princess as well. It also couldn't hold my attention. Link turning into a wolf....Really? It also bored me. Although the wind waker that is a HOLE other ball game. Wind Waker is the first game I've played to completion in a very long time. I use to spend HOURS a nite playing that game. Sometimes 6 hours a night. That game was SOOOOO much fun!

Long live the Wind Waker!

Jose_49    1,105

So I finally made it to the ground. Walked around zapped something with my sword and unlocked a door, and can FINALLY save. SO BORED!!!!!!

I also "played" the Twilight Princess as well. It also couldn't hold my attention. Link turning into a wolf....Really? It also bored me. Although the wind waker that is a HOLE other ball game. Wind Waker is the first game I've played to completion in a very long time. I use to spend HOURS a nite playing that game. Sometimes 6 hours a night. That game was SOOOOO much fun!

Long live the Wind Waker!

I liked a lot Wind Waker too. It's the one which imitates Ocarina of Time best, it was also my first Zelda game and I liked it. The only thing I felt very irritating was to travel (at first) that looooong way in the ocean.

That remembers me, Skyward Sword beats all Zelda in traveling to places. Maneuvering with your bird is more entertaining than going by feet, or riding The King of Red lions.

Doli    566

Finished it. The final boss is weak, swing your sword a couple of times until you get a hit or two then jump out of the way and repeat. Once you find out the secret of the second part of the fight its a walk in the park. You can't have Akuma be that weak (Yes Street Fighter's Akuma is the final boss) and badass looking, Nintendo did a great job at making a better looking Akuma ill give them that. The fight was not fun because how easy it was, Wind Waker last fight was fun because of all the diffrent forms Gannon turned into.

I did like all the subtle references to past Zelda games.

The "Legend of Groose" is next :laugh:

APH-Alex    13

There are many good spots but unfortunately I feel this game is blighted with lazily thought out objectives and tasks.

This. :p

+warwagon    13,708

I'm playing it now again. Because I watched a review that said how amazing it was..

God this game is Booooooring. ZZZZZzzz

I'm about 5 hours in and I give it a 4 out of 10.

I didn't like Twilight Princess Either. The transforming into a wolf ruined it. Got bored with that one too.

Zelda Wind Waker on the other hand,  couldn't  put the game down. Held my attention all the way through. AMAZING game. Graphics were Amazing Much better than Skyward, best cell shading I've ever seen.

HA! Looking Above I pretty much said the Exact same thing in January 2012 .. HA! That was the last time I played this game before now.