GNU / Linux 2011 Desktop Thread

just moved to ubuntu 10.10 x64 full time from windows 7. my plan is to using full time for one week and then see how i feel...

post-105406-0-40465600-1294472452.png

Can you provide a link to your wallpaper please? :)

@hawk999 (Wall) and ichi (Icons)

You guys inspired me! Sorry for stealing your ideas but man I am loving this! God, I love Linux! :cool: :laugh:

Looks great.

post-8993-0-76744700-1295600992.png

Ncmpcpp & Mplayer on dwm.

/edit, self censored nasty song title, my bad.

Love that movie. Weirdest scene in the flick too, IMO.

What theme are u using? My smee emerald theme doesent look like that when I apply it.

And how to do that nice panel like that??

I was incorrect on Smee being my emerald theme. I actually set Smee as the GTK for transparency support on the panel. I then use the Droid Theme by lassekongo (who makes many nice clean themes btw).

The panel is a trick really. There is no panel there at all. It was acutally something devised by lasse as well. You just take your background and adjust the resolution to be the same size as your display and add a semi-transparent bar where the panel would be. After that you would set the panel to be completely transparent.

Instructions here.

@work

post-183474-0-90152600-1295620440.png

My 1st posting in Linux Desktops (if I remember rightly)

post-56742-0-75355000-1295645325.jpg

Linux Mint 10

Docky

Wallpaper from some article on space.com

Nothing special - i'm still learning.

I was incorrect on Smee being my emerald theme. I actually set Smee as the GTK for transparency support on the panel. I then use the Droid Theme by lassekongo (who makes many nice clean themes btw).

The panel is a trick really. There is no panel there at all. It was acutally something devised by lasse as well. You just take your background and adjust the resolution to be the same size as your display and add a semi-transparent bar where the panel would be. After that you would set the panel to be completely transparent.

Instructions here.

@work

post-183474-0-90152600-1295620440.png

Yeah I figured it out, thanx:) Cool trick!

PCLinuxOS (Gnome Zen Mini)

Theme: Equinox Evolution Light

Icons: Faenza Cupertino

Wallpaper: Relaxing Clean

Programs & tweaks: Removed text on desktop icons, tweaked panel, added Dockbar-X for superbar in the panel, tweaked gnome panel's clock, added Avant Window Navigator for "wingpanel," changed font to Droid Sans. I think that's pretty much it. Plus changed the invisible stuff like login screen, bootsplash. PCLOS is a great distro, albeit really, really ugly one by default.

screenshotguy.png

screenshot1nn.png

PCLinuxOS (Gnome Zen Mini)

Theme: Equinox Evolution Light

Icons: Faenza Cupertino

Wallpaper: Relaxing Clean

Programs & tweaks: Removed text on desktop icons, tweaked panel, added Dockbar-X for superbar in the panel, tweaked gnome panel's clock, added Avant Window Navigator for "wingpanel," changed font to Droid Sans. I think that's pretty much it. Plus changed the invisible stuff like login screen, bootsplash. PCLOS is a great distro, albeit really, really ugly one by default.

screenshotguy.png

screenshot1nn.png

Pretty slick setup, despite a few minor grievances:

I'd center the icons on the bottom panel, and I'd resize the desktop icons. Plus, the elementary style seems a little too plain; maybe try something like Atolm/Orta instead?

Other than that, I love the "Cupertino" suite you found. I might actually give in and install a PPA to try them out, even though I hate third-party PPAs.

EDIT: I'd also remove the date from the clock area to make the panel thinner.