Mac OS Desktops - 1st Q 2011

-sighs at the Mac desktops-....so pretty... Oh..HEY.. I got GLASS.. :no: I don't care what anyone says, Mac OS X desktops are much more stylish than anything Microsoft can even think about bringing out.

@maxsquared: I made it from the ipad default wallpaper, I will upload it and post a link to it.

@maxsquared: I made it from the ipad default wallpaper, I will upload it and post a link to it.

Can I go ahead and do this for you? OSX Daily posted it on their site and pointed it to your Deviant Art Page.

-sighs at the Mac desktops-....so pretty... Oh..HEY.. I got GLASS.. :no: I don't care what anyone says, Mac OS X desktops are much more stylish than anything Microsoft can even think about bringing out.

really? all I see is the same grayish theme everywhere, the exception being some cool wallpaper and icons...

even linux is better at customization.

really? all I see is the same grayish theme everywhere, the exception being some cool wallpaper and icons...

even linux is better at customization.

Thing is, though, Mac does not have to be skinned to be pretty. :-)

Hey, are you using regular finder or a finder replacement? How did you get the green checkmark and the additional folder info?

The green checkmark normally is blue and is a part of Dropbox. http://getdropbox.com (no referral, no worries.). The additional info is an option built into finder:

It's in german. But you will figure it out.

Right click,

post-65223-0-60680100-1301380032.png

post-65223-0-56866600-1301379976.png

Hey, are you using regular finder or a finder replacement? How did you get the green checkmark and the additional folder info?

Regular finder. I did't do anything to it. I just replaced the icons and removed the Search For on the side. The info is like instant.human says. Right click desktop, Show View Options then Show Item Info. I replaced the Dropbox checkmarks. These are the ones I'm using. http://kamikaze00x.deviantart.com/art/Glyphious-124149227

Regular finder. I did't do anything to it. I just replaced the icons and removed the Search For on the side. The info is like instant.human says. Right click desktop, Show View Options then Show Item Info. I replaced the Dropbox checkmarks. These are the ones I'm using. http://kamikaze00x.deviantart.com/art/Glyphious-124149227

Hey I'm new to Mac. I was wondering where you got your folder icons from like the different icons for Downloads as well as the ones for your various drives and what-not.

Cheers!

Hey I'm new to Mac. I was wondering where you got your folder icons from like the different icons for Downloads as well as the ones for your various drives and what-not.

Cheers!

You can download folders and drives here http://esxxi.me/

definitely some nice screenshots in here :yes:

I've posted mine already in the march desktop thread, but just found this one here :)

beach_legs_by_goldendiamond89-d3con3b.png

Thing is, though, Mac does not have to be skinned to be pretty. :-)

I understand if its your personal preference, but I think majority people say the same because they think its "cool" now, but I find the default skin plain ugly, and the inability to change it draconian.

I understand if its your personal preference, but I think majority people say the same because they think its "cool" now, but I find the default skin plain ugly, and the inability to change it draconian.

It is my personal opinion, right.

But calling the inability to change it draconian is a bit harsh. ;) You can change things like Finder Background, icons, scroll bars and progress bars without any hassle.

And there are plenty of themes out there to change smaller things.

But that alone proves my point: There are less Mac themes out there, because obviously, people don't see the need for those because Mac OS X is pretty by default. Not for everyone, though. That's clear. ;)

Considering what I've seen done to Gnome, KDE and assorted Windows skinning attempts, I wish more OSs locked down the GUI. Interface design is extremely difficult and 99.95% of the work lacks the ability, better to leave it at defaults than make something as ugly as most people end up doing.