• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

suggest me a camera with these features...

carmatic    54

waterproof, somehow controlled remotely, and outputs RAW files... as well as non-crappy optics and sensor

doesnt have to be small or compact, since i am using a Joby Gorillapod and i dont need it to be discrete or anything

oh, and being able to run on external power of some sort would be a bonus too... also be able to control aperture, shutter speed, iso , etc....

crazzy88ss    66

Uhhhh Nikon D3s or Canon 1Ds mk4 ?

Lol you're asking for quite a bit and quite specific. Not many cameras run on external power sources these days; not even sure if the DSLRs I listed above will.

What do you want to do? Sounds like you have something very specific in mind.

Andre    9

There are few cameras that are actually waterproof, but most if not all of those are pocket size cameras. So don't expect amazing optics/sensors. And afaik most won't allow full manual control nor will be able to shoot RAW.

Cameras that crazzy named aren't really waterproof, but rather water-resistant. If you really want quality and waterproof then you would have to buy an underwater housing for whatever DSLR. But those things usually cost as much or more as your DSLR (waterproof/underwater housing for D7000 costs more than 3000 USD). And it probably is not what you are after. Of course there are cheap ways to protect your camera from water, like Think Tank Hydrophobia (~100 USD) or just a large plastic bag and some rubberbands.

Most DSLR cameras and probably some point-and-shoots can run on external power. For that you will need to buy an AC adapter which can cost upto 100 USD.

And yes, what is it that you want to achieve?

crazzy88ss    66
Of course there are cheap ways to protect your camera from water, . . . or just a large plastic bag and some rubberbands.

+1 to that :) I use that when shooting sports during rain.

Yea DSLRs that are "weather resistant" are good, but they cannot be submerged or sit out in pouring rain.

COKid    875

Are you going to be doing underwater shots or something? Just wondered why you want/need a "waterproof" camera. There are some great "weather-resistant" DSLRs out there, but you're going to have to spring for a housing if you want a completely waterproof camera with manual controls that takes good photos.

Argote    73

You could get a DSLR from Canon or Nikon (easier to find underwater casings) which supports tethering plus its underwater casing. This will probably run you at least $2000 though.

carmatic    54

im not doing underwater photography so the water proofing/resistance doesnt have to stand up to any pressure

but i expect to use the camera while it is soaking wet for extended periods, as well as survive dips into rivers and ponds ... the Hydrophobia camera raincoat looks like a good idea , but i wonder if having upgraded O-rings and stuff in the camera itself is a better way?

basically im hoping to be able to set up a time lapse rig , i've already got the Joby Gorillapod so my camera can be mounted on quite alot of locations, but now i just need to make it survive the weather, as well as the trips to and from my shooting location

carmatic    54

also... the nikon d3s isnt going to be realistic for me, its a dream camera and im never going to be spending 5000 bucks on a single piece of equipment

something like the pentax k7 is cheaper at 1000 bucks, can i go cheaper without having to go into point and shoots?

also, something like http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/cheap-home-made-wi-fi-tether/ would come in handy

spikey_richie    287

A 2nd hand Olympus E500 with a waterproof housing might be a good option. You can use an infrared remote, and it does output in RAW (.ORF or Olympus Raw Format) The camera is no longer manufactured, so you might be able to snap up a cheap waterproof case from a warehouse type site. Olympus also do waterproof flash housings, so if you wanted to add a decent flash on top you could. http://www.olympus.c...mer/198_278.htm

Alternatively the Olympus Mini Mju cameras have waterproof housings available. Here's a Mini Mju in a waterproof (3m) case:

CWPC-01_outdoor-case.jpg

Edit: I forget to add; you can remotely control the E500 via the USB port, but that wifi tether thing might work with it too however the case would then not fit.

Argote    73

I see, and why do you want it to be remotely controlled?

carmatic    54

the wireless control is more about when i cant see the viewfinder or LCD directly , i would take a picture and view it wirelessly on my laptop to see if i have the correct angle

Edit: I forget to add; you can remotely control the E500 via the USB port, but that wifi tether thing might work with it too however the case would then not fit.

ahh thanks for the suggestion... maybe i will use the Hydrophobia camera raincoat , since it also covers the attachments of the camera...