Samsung 50" Plasma?

Hello All,

I currently have a Samsung 42" Plasma 720p TV and mainly use this for SkyHD, Blu-Ray and to connect to my computer.

I am looking to upgrade to a 50", I want to keep with Samsung as it has been a brilliant TV and of course want the new TV to be 1080p. I have been shopping around and have found two;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-PS50C580-50-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B003RRY3AQ

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-PS50C550-Widescreen-AllShare-Freeview/dp/B003DNSJCW/ref=pd_cp_ce_2

Does anyone have either of these? Or, which would you suggest is the best to go with.

When shopping around, they are more or less the same price, and I cannot find a major difference between the two?

I can't speak to the current crop of Samsung plasma sets, but I bought a 50" Samsung plasma 1080p set back in '08, and it's served me great for the last two years. Not too much help, but I can attest to the fact that at least they don't die in 2 years time :)

As for the two sets you have listed, I see they're very similar model #s. When I come across two products like that, I usually head to the manufacturer's website to compare them. Checking the Samsung UK site, I can't see any real difference between the two.

Perhaps the 580 is just an updated version of the 550?

Not really what you're asking, but working and selling these things, I'd honestly tell you to get a panasonic instead, their plasmas just seems slightly better and I've seen bad image retention that shouldn't be there on the Samsungs.

on the other hand, at least over here, I know that Samsung support considers image retention and especially bad ones to be a panel fault and will replace it. So I might just have been unlucky with the few I've seen, but I'd still put Panasonic as the better plasma untill pioneer decides to unretire again :p

• 2 weeks later...