• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Should I switch from DirecTV to Dish Network?

Massiveterra    27

So my fiance recently got a job at Dish Network, and she'll be able to get the full Dish Network HD package for $40/mo. Our current provider is DirecTV, which I absolutely love (except for the fact AMC doesn't have HD, Dish has AMC HD). I've heard some very bad things about dish, especially with their HD compression, but I rarely watch TV, and if I do, it's usually from Netflix Instant or something from the internet. It's usually my fiance and roommate who watch it the most. The only other provider in our area is Comcast, and I refuse to support that company.

With DirecTV, we currently pay $67/mo with their HDDVR package and showtime, but they recently sent a notification that they're increasing their monthly to $79/mo. And the cancellation fee is $250. Should I make the switch?

Southern Patriot    930

Until recently I had Dish and was very happy with them (other than the fact that I couldn't get the HD channels because a ****ing tree in my neighbor's yard blocked the satellite!!!!! :angry: ). See if any of your friends has Dish and try to compare the two. Both Dish and Direct use virtually the same technology, so I really doubt that there is going to be much (if any) difference in picture quality between the two.

cybertimber2008    43

We switched because of the pricing about a year and a half ago. Can't say I notice to much of a difference. Having 1 DVR and being able to watch 2 things in 2 seperate rooms is very nice though.

The HD for life has been very tempting as well.

ceminess    11

If I were you, I would wait until your direct TV contract ends, and then switch. I love dish better then direct TV. But it is somewhat of a personal preference. Like roadwarrior said. If its possible, see if you can try out using dish do see if you like it.

Massiveterra    27

Until recently I had Dish and was very happy with them (other than the fact that I couldn't get the HD channels because a ****ing tree in my neighbor's yard blocked the satellite!!!!! :angry: ). See if any of your friends has Dish and try to compare the two. Both Dish and Direct use virtually the same technology, so I really doubt that there is going to be much (if any) difference in picture quality between the two.

I guess you're right.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/heres-what-fake-hd-video-looks-like/962

Thinking back, I think all of the feedback I heard of Dish as far as compression is more hearsay than actual facts

+Steve B    14

Let me throw in my two cents on this. DISH has more national channels in HD where as DirecTV has more of the sports/PPV, premiums in HD. DISH has a tendency to drop channels a little bit too easily in fee negotiations. If price was an actual issue, DISH is the better value. DirecTV has what they call Whole Home DVR/Multi-Room viewing where you can watch another boxes recorded shows from another room. I'm not sure if DISH has something similar (maybe someone can chime in on that). I think DISH's additional receiver fees are more expensive then DirecTV's. As far as compression and PQ, it depends on the person.

Ultimately, you have to try and decide for yourself. That is the only real way to know for sure. Good luck.

FrankSpin    2

Rajon you're still under contract?

If they try to give you flac about a contract termination bring up the current lawsuit being filed against them and I'm sure it will go.

Massiveterra    27

Rajon you're still under contract?

If they try to give you flac about a contract termination bring up the current lawsuit being filed against them and I'm sure it will go.

lawsuit? link plz :)

Growled    3,880

The main reason we use Dish is to get access to local channels, which Directv doesn't offer. That may not be important to you, though. Plus, having a DVR is really nice.

cybertimber2008    43

The main reason we use Dish is to get access to local channels, which Directv doesn't offer. That may not be important to you, though. Plus, having a DVR is really nice.

Your DirecTv didn't offer you local channels? Where are you located? I had locals :confused:

Growled    3,880

Your DirecTv didn't offer you local channels? Where are you located? I had locals :confused:

I guess it's been 5 years ago now and at the time they didn't offer any locals for us. I just checked and they do offer locals now for many but still not for us.

Hedon    397

My wife and I had a horrible experience with Dish Network. Problems included billing (billed wrong amounts continuously) and frequent rain outages.

zenivo    0

As an alternative, I would invest in an HTPC (Home Theater PC / Media Center).

Although it takes a bit of technical knowledge, you'll save tons of money in the long run, customize it they you want it, use open-source media center programs like XBMC, and have permanent access to all your favorite movies / TV shows, music, and pictures.