I knew Mac's were overpriced, but Jesus!

I went to a customer?s house today, to help their son connect his new Mac Book Pro onto the wifi in the house. It ended up being a simple case of power cycling the router. I looked at the mac book pro and said, those do look nice.

She said "ya, this is for high school and college. He told us he likes to work a lot with video so we got him a mac book pro."

Hearing the words ?Mac Book Pro?, I automatically think expensive powerful laptop. I go into ?About this Mac? and I saw it only had a Core 2 duo 2.4 CPU in the machine. I thought WTF.

So then I came home and did a little research. Apparently that computer also had a 13 inch screen. Looks like she paid around $1,200 for it. Going up to the Macbook pro i5?s and i7?s really rape you up the butt.

So I did some price comparison with some computers found on newegg.

capturegu.jpg

40428772.jpg

Only difference in this one is the extra 2 inches of screen

37247857.jpg

It's not all about the hardware though, Mac people are usually after stability and the software that comes with the Mac OSX.

Edit: I forgot to mention, they're all shiny and metal and stuff shiftyninja.gif.

I'll admit this, I do not like Macs, would never get one myself, but they look much better than the tacky Windows based laptops (hardware wise) that you mentioned above. Most normal laptops are cheaply and quite badly designed.

• Like 1

Owen W has a valid point, I bought mine for audio recording stability and performance and overal system stability. Very happy with it for the past 3 years!

software that comes with the Mac OSX.

Huh?

Out of the box, Mac OS X comes with very little software. You have to buy additional software to get any functionality out of it beyond web surfing and basic entertainment. If you have to buy software to give it additional uses, it shouldn't be counted towards the value of the base system.

It'd be like Sony or Microsoft raising the prices of the PS3/X360 because there are games available for those consoles.

You can rice out a Honda Civic to outperform a Ferrari too. So what?

Quality > Quantity for plenty of people. If they were that outrageously priced, Apple wouldn't have $300 billion is profits right now.

Huh?

Out of the box, Mac OS X comes with very little software. You have to buy additional software to get any functionality out of it beyond web surfing and basic entertainment. If you have to buy software to give it additional uses, it shouldn't be counted towards the value of the base system.

It'd be like Sony or Microsoft raising the prices of the PS3/X360 because they have games available for those consoles.

What?! New Macs come with iLife etc., Windows 7 comes with... Wordpad and Paint.

I'd build my own PC and install OSX86.

We are talking about laptops here.

It is technically possible to "build" your own laptop to a limited extent, but given the higher rates of failure versus desktops I'd rather have a manufacturer to yell at when it breaks. ;)

Now Apple's laptops are good machines. Nice slim machines that perform well (not just raw performance numbers, but consider other factors such as battery life). For my needs, they fell a bit short but they're suitable for many others.

It all boils down to ya get what you pay for. I'd pay even more seeing as how it's not a 10th as much aggravation as fooling with Windows to use a Mac.

This thread is only going to end up in the gutter like all the others.

It's like paying the extra for a Mercedes over a Ford.

This is old news...

Everybody in the entire world knows that 75% of the Mac's price is all beacause of the brand, if you ask them to remove the "light-me-up apple logo" the price drops by... 1000€...

(no ... not really)

Yep, overpriced.

Huh?

It'd be like Sony or Microsoft raising the prices of the PS3/X360 because there are games available for those consoles.

Please stop comparing Apples to Oranges.

What?! New Macs come with iLife etc., Windows 7 comes with... Wordpad and Paint.

Windows also comes with Windows Live Essentials, which has all the same functionality of iLife, minus Garage Band...

Despite not having Garage Band, Windows Live Essentials does have Sync, a free online backup/syncing application. iLife doesn't have that. So they're pretty much even there...

• Like 4

It's not all about the hardware though, Mac people are usually after stability and the software that comes with the Mac OSX.

Edit: I forgot to mention, they're all shiny and metal and stuff shiftyninja.gif.

I'll admit this, I do not like Macs, would never get one myself, but they look much better than the tacky Windows based laptops (hardware wise) that you mentioned above. Most normal laptops are cheaply and quite badly designed.

Exactly, stability and outstanding build quality. I mean my Asus laptop costs half the price of a comparable Macbook Pro (back in it's day) but started to fall apart within 6 months of getting it and not to mention not everything worked out the box (I had to source my own Bluetooth drivers and Blu-Ray Playback software due to the provided software/drivers were either non-existent or utter rubbish!). So yeah you can get a cheaper more powerful PC but you'll never match the "complete package" you'll get from Apple and I'm a Windows guy (I do have a Mac mini though, I don't hate Macs [quite like my Mac mini actually] just prefer Windows machines) so I'm not just saying that cause I'm stuck in in the RDF :laugh:

You can rice out a Honda Civic to outperform a Ferrari too. So what?

Quality > Quantity for plenty of people. If they were that outrageously priced, Apple wouldn't have $300 billion is profits right now.

their crazy profits are from their mobile devices segments. ipods, iphones, ipads. not their computer segment.

like you aren't prompted to download and install WLE11 when using WLM(msn) for the first time after a fresh install or first boot of windows, which is incidentally placed right in your start menu. hotmail being the biggest of webmail providers i'm guessing plenty of average users are using it. guess what even my 60+ year old aunt can make a movie in windows movie maker.

It all boils down to ya get what you pay for. I'd pay even more seeing as how it's not a 10th as much aggravation as fooling with Windows to use a Mac.

OSX or a shiny case is not worth the $1k premium. and what aggravation when using windows? like dragging files from one folder or drive to another instead of right click context menus like this is the 90s?

• Like 2

Windows also comes with Windows Live Essentials, which has all the same functionality of iLife, minus Garage Band...

Despite not having Garage Band, Windows Live Essentials does have Sync, a free online backup/syncing application. iLife doesn't have that. So they're pretty much even there...

Mesh is amazing. I take my tabletPC on the go and when I get home it automatically syncs with my home setup. Two completely different computers for two different purposes and one set of files to effortlessly work on.

Exactly, stability and outstanding build quality. I mean my Asus laptop costs half the price of a comparable Macbook Pro (back in it's day) but started to fall apart within 6 months of getting it and not to mention not everything worked out the box (I had to source my own Bluetooth drivers and Blu-Ray Playback software due to the provided software/drivers were either non-existent or utter rubbish!). So yeah you can get a cheaper more powerful PC but you'll never match the "complete package" you'll get from Apple and I'm a Windows guy (I do have a Mac mini though, I don't hate Macs [quite like my Mac mini actually] just prefer Windows machines) so I'm not just saying that cause I'm stuck in in the RDF :laugh:

while OSX doesn't have blu ray drivers at all last i heard and macs don't come with blu ray drives.

their crazy profits are from their mobile devices segments. ipods, iphones, ipads. not their computer segment.

And your proof? If that was the case, why would they bother making them?